• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A small act on your part to brighten an animal's life

That is really nice what you did for the donkey. It is sad how sub par the rights on animals can be. I believe we are only going to see those rights slid backwards as civilization seems to be moving toward a dark age.

I agree with all your 6 points except the hunting one. I believe eating meat is part of what we are and hunting has always been part of our existence. Besides, many animals eat other animals for sustenance, it is just nature. When you consider the conditions many farms animals live in, especially the factory farmed animals living in holocaust conditions, hunting can actually be more humane. That animal you hunted got to live a free natural life until the moment it met it's hopefully pretty quick demise.
If you knew about hunting in the UK and also in parts of the US ,you would know this is not the way hunting should be defined, you do not need a pack of 30 dogs to find a fox and you don't need 10 or 20 people on horses to find and kill a fox this is just perversion.
Animals are Noble they hunt an animal to supply the need for food ,they are not greedy like humans, Who think every inch of space should be solely devoted to exactly what they want and that no other creature has a right, they destroy the habitat of that creature and then they're selfishly angry if that creature trys to find food on what was once its habitat .

hopefully pretty quick demise
Yes, that is the risk. Will it be painless? For me it's too much of a risk - imagine wounding or maiming the animal? I'd rather not take the chance. [1] How could one sleep at night, knowing there was an animal with a festering wound, or left to die a slow death, because of human error re. the weapon used to kill the animal? [2] Apart from the risk of wounding or maiming an animal, how do you know you're not depriving a baby animal of its mother? How could one sleep at night, knowing there was a baby animal out there in distress, or left to die, because I'd exercised my 'dominion' to do whatever I want with the animals on the planet? What gives me the right?! [3] Finally, living in a modern liberal democracy, how could I be sure that I was killing the animal for food/nutrients and not unconsciously indulging my base emotions to prevail over the death of another living being and so reassure myself of my own survival fitness or superior worth on the planet? There is nothing about my life that makes it superior to that of an animal's; we are the same. If anything, animals have the moral high-ground, overall. Generally speaking, humans have a greater desire for power, control and dominance.

Animals already suffer too much on this planet at the hands of humans - from pollution to encroachment on their environments and butchering of their ecosystems. To willfully inflict harm (let alone death) on an animal standing in front of me I find unconscionable.

My rule is: would we do it to a fellow human or a child? If not, don't do it to an animal - the Golden Rule of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". It just seems too convenient for humans to say that that applies to everyone except animals - everything interpreted in the human's favour! That doesn't show great perspective-taking or empathy.

I am aware of arguments from 'Fast Food Nation' and such that hunting is more humane than animal farming (I like your comparison with holocaust conditions), and the hidden costs of vegetarianism. It also took me years to stop eating meat but one day the tipping point was reached and I just couldn't justify prioritising my own palate over the suffering of a sentient animals with eyes and nose and mouth --- everything about it designed to help it survive - just like humans.

I'm not in favour of arguments that (1) animals do it therefore we can do it; (2) humans have always done it therefore it's OK to continue doing it. There are too many counterexamples and inconsistencies for those two justifications to apply. To name a few. (1) As Streetwise says, animals need to hunt for food - they don't have bank accounts; in today's society humans don't need to hunt for food. (2) There are many things humans did in the past which applied reasoning revealed to be barbaric, misguided or insane e.g., throwing raw sewerage into the open street, beheading political adversaries, child labour, child capital punishment, labotomies, devaluing women, enslaving ethnic minorities. Just because we did something in the past does mean we should continue - we can still apply our enhanced thinking abilities, changed socio-economic circumstances and improved awareness to do things differently.

I concede that even monkeys are omnivores and are known to eat a mouse or locust occasionally. If there is any argument for eating animals, it should be as humane as possible (cameras in abattoirs), minimal transportation (Compassion in World Farming | Compassion in World Farming), higher prices (people value dirt-cheap meat without caring or being curious about the condition the animal's had to live in), and it should not be eaten often - maybe just a couple of times as year - way less than many societies of the world are currently consuming (e.g., cheap meat and chicken in a daily basis). I like what 'David Fisher' did in 'Six Feet Under' when they had meat for dinner. While saying grace, he thanked the animal for sacrificing its life for them. Not sure how much informed consent was involved from the animal but it was a nice sentiment - better than no acknowledgement.

Last edited:
9F5F5892-921C-4300-A53C-5366C956AD0E.jpeg
I dont eat animals

CBE64B1D-E093-4702-9A93-064EFDB4C424.jpeg
If you aren’t a Gary lover perhaps you should read this

"Vegan cheese has been universally renamed ‘Gary’ after Sainsbury’s turned one cheese-lover’s furious tirade into a viral joke.

The supermarket was the subject of a tremendous Facebook rant after a woman kicked off at the branding of dairy-free vegan products as ‘cheese’.

Instead, she said: "Call it Gary or something just don't call it cheese because it's not cheese!"

But the vegan community responded in style, and within hours social media was flooded with jokes and memes, particularly on the new 'It's not Vegan Cheese, it's Gary' Facebook page.

Then the supermarket itself got in on the act, posting an altered image of its dairy-free cheese with the name changed to “Gary”.

It added the caption: "Thanks to customer feedback, we’re excited to introduce our new range of #Gary." The post has been shared over 4,000 times and sparked a flurry of similar efforts.

It comes after the supermarket released its new range of seven £2.25 coconut oil-based cheeses last week, which include alternatives to cheddar and wensleydale with cranberries.

The firm behind the products – Bute Island Foods – also saw the funny side, posting a photo of member of staff called Gary holding up a pack of the dairy-free cheese with a ‘Gary’ label."
Vegan cheese renamed 'Gary' after dairy-lover's rant goes viral

I stopped eating animals and their bodily secretions ten years ago, so I do a big act of kindness for many animals every day.

But a more specific recent kindness: a big spider was trapped in the bathtub yesterday, so I scooped him into my humane bug catcher, released him onto the porch, and watched him scramble away into the night. I always rescue spiders this way.

New Threads

Top Bottom