• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Picture = 1000 Words?

Gomendosi

V.I.P Member
I have curiosity as to how people feel on the subject of photography of family, friends and pets and why it is/ is not important to you.
We take pictures of all manner of things but especial attachment seems to be afforded to those of the living beings in our lives.

So I enquire:

Do you have photos of family and friends plastered all over the place? - If so why?

Do you have photos of people who are deceased/ no longer in your life? - If so why?

What does having a photograph mean to you? How do you feel if you can?t have a picture?

Do you have photos of family and friends plastered all over the place? - If so why?
We have movie posters all over the walls, we used to have one of our wedding photos and a picture of our daughter on the fireplace but since we put the snakes infront of the fireplace all that has been taken down.

Do you have photos of people who are deceased/ no longer in your life? - If so why?
I have some photos of my grandmother somewhere, same with my husband's grandparents, we have tons of photos all stored away.

What does having a photograph mean to you? How do you feel if you can’t have a picture?
I like having photos of my little girl, it's nice to look at how she's changed and look back at nice days out or birthday's or whatever. I also like looking at really old photos and finding out / remembering the story behind the photo. I have alot of great memories of sitting with my grandmother going through boxes and boxes of photos talking about who everyone was and what the occasion was etc and it's something we often do with our daughter get out the really old black and white (and sepia) photos and talk about who everyone is.

I like to take photos and can get quite annoyed if I can't capture the moment (I almost had a meltdown at my daughter's party because my cameras battery died) so photos do mean alot to me, it helps me remember alot of things and alot of people.

I only like the very old ones, but of course you have to have them around for awhile before they are old. To me it feels like time travel. It reminds me that my mom was actually quite young when I was a kid, although it didn't seem that way to me then. So I guess it gives me perspective I wouldn't ahve otherwise had.

I have pictures of a few family and my friend who is dead but other than that not really its more posters of things I enjoy. I so have a few pictures of my dolls around but I love to take photos of that.

Yes I do have photos of people who are decreased because I create a small space for the photo and her things that I have and let it be just a place for her. A place to remember in my life and not forget all I have learned from that person (she was my best friend but she was everyone's best friend).

What does having a photograph mean to you? How do you feel if you can?t have a picture?

Having a photo is a priceless why to capture the moment. To make the moment last forever. It keeps the person alive in away even though they may not be around anymore for various reasons. I love taking pictures of my dolls, it makes me feel wonderful to have moments for them. Um...I am never in a position where I can't get a photo.

No. I have very few photos hanging around.

Yes; my mother died when I was 16 and I have a picture of her from when she was 17 or so in a pink frame. She was my best friend and I talk to her picture. I know she can hear me.

What does having a photograph mean to you? How do you feel if you can’t have a picture?

I obsessively keep pictures of my boyfriend since we are now in a long distance relationship. He's on my phone,computer, and by my bed. I would feel so sad if I couldn't look at a picture of him.

No, I don't. I have one picture of girlfriend on my phone, and that's actually more because I wanted a visual caller ID thing.

No, I don't

A photograph is a way to capture a moment, that's about all it does. To me, most photographs don't hold a lot of meaning since quite often I have no idea when exactly it was or what I was doing there. The pictures I have around in a box are probably more a thing of "hoarding". Clearly I once invested in getting pictures taken and took them to the photoshop to get them printed, so that might be a reason I don't want to throw them away.

But not having pictures around doesn't do anything for me... I don't pay attention to them anyway.

I have a picture of two of my great great grandmothers, my grandmother's grandmothers. They are sitting on a bench with another old lady between them who is a relative. They are wearing long Victorian style dresses with their hair pulled back and looking a little toothless. they are smiling sweetly and they look like old ladies used to look like, kind of like they just stepped out of a Grimm's fairy tale. They were pioneer women who came from Germany and settled in the Midwest and they lived very hard lives. It's a rather bad copy of a very old photo, but I am lucky to have it. I think of them as my favorite grandmas and the picture is very comforting to me.

We all take so many family portraits nowadays. Does anyone wonder where their photos will be 150 years from now? So much information is lost from one generation to the next.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom