• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A new word for Stimming

zurb

Eschewer of Obfuscation
Much of what is written about Aspergers/Autism is from an NT perspective or is their interpretation of our thoughts and actions.
One such example is the vocabulary used, and in particular, the word 'Stimming'. It's neither a nice word, nor accurate.
In Rudy Simone's book 'Aspergirls', she says
Second paragraph of Chapter 4: Aspergirls by Rudy Simone said:
I hate the word stimming. First of all I think it sounds creepy and weird, second of all it's a misnomer. Stimming is short for self-stimulatory behavior, but that's not exactly what it is. Stimming is simply something we do to soothe ourselves when we are upset, anxious, overloaded, or in pain; to release unpleasant feelings or energy.
So, from an aspie point of view, what would be a better term (real or coined)?
Maybe self soothing? Chiing? Releasing? Something else?

Is it an encompassing word, or do we want two different words? One for happy twitchiness and one for destressing fidgeting?

For me, soothing and wow because stimming, to me, makes no sense at all! I shake my leg and even when I come to realise what I am doing, I find it difficult to stop. I would play with my hair, but it winds my husband up sooo much, that I dare do that!

Also when talking or listening, I have a hard time, not touching my face, but this is actually trying to hide myself, I think!

The word (stimming) does seem limited and not expressive of the kinds of movements we have. I am not really sure why we do it in the first place. At times it seems like a relaxation technique and at others just random nervous energy. I often associate it with generating a kind of 'white noise' to help block out outside stimulus which is distracting/overwhelming. If that's true then its actually anti-stimming in a way.

If it was Star Trek, I would say we are a ship of over-sensitives who have to keep the deflector shields at near full power even in normal non-threatening situations.

I've always planned to join Starfleet when I grow up, so:

"Shields up, Red Alert!" - Anxious :eek:
"Jamming communications!" - Overwhelmed :confused:
"Ahead warp 6, engage." or "Second star to the right and on till morning." - Happy :D
(That last quote always sends a tingle up my spine ;))

Hmm, not good at coining phrases and words, but I "stim" to concentrate, for comfort, to shield, to burn off excess energy, and for I don't know why, I just like to.

It puts me in my happy place.

Usually when I'm "stimming" it's to vent energy...I'm not hyperactive in the sense of ADHD, just the anxiety or pent-up emotions that don't have anywhere else to go, well, that energy has to go somewhere.

But "venting" already has a colloquial meaning, that someone is releasing tension by talking about a difficult situation.

So maybe... "hyperventing"?

Quilling - Has a good ring and definition could be applied.
Unfortunately, I think if I said I was quilling, folks might be thinking of something else :)
Quilling_fish_by_iron_maiden_art.jpg

Or even

b938bb1da205b838b67117f9b23f603a.jpg

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom