• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A "must read" article!

Autistamatic

He's just this guy, you know?
V.I.P Member
OK - I wasn't sure where to put this 'cos it's not really news, it's a blog, but I figured it was the most appropriate place. This is a very relevant and powerful article for anyone who has genuine care about neurodiversity and the entire spectrum of people who we share genetic kinship with. Remember - these genes link us all. One way or another, however many thousands of years ago, we share a common ancestor. Every autistic person shares a common bloodline. Please read :)

THINKING PERSON'S GUIDE TO AUTISM: On ABA: They hate you. Yes, you.

Agree with the writer's perspective. It is about conformity, that treatment, it's also about aversion to difference. I worked in a sanitarium when I was sixteen, where many non-verbal autistic children and adults lived. The regular staff were kind, yet they still tied down children who stimmed violently or banged their heads. When it was my shift, I freed everyone but the most violent.

We all ran around together, played, skipped, slid. I taught those who were interested the alphabet, and numbers. I was comfortable there, my job was to feed certain residents who were restrained. Although I did more than that.

Last edited:
That's heart breaking. Do some places still do things like this? I hope not.
Not to that great an extent but that's kind of how we grew up in the 60's. Punished if you do anything out of the realm of what was considered normal so you were cautious not to do those things.

That's heart breaking. Do some places still do things like this? I hope not.

Many of the sanitariums were shut down in the eighties I think. Yet many of the residents had nowhere to go. So some remained open and the people who lived there are cared for. They were never taught anything, given any classes, few could read or write. The place I worked at is still open, but it's now more like a residence. It's a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, with a church, store, gas station and the residences.

Many of the sanitariums were shut down in the eighties I think. Yet many of the residents had nowhere to go. So some remained open and the people who lived there are cared for. They were never taught anything, given any classes, few could read or write. The place I worked at is still open, but it's now more like a residence. It's a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, with a church, store, gas station and the residences.
I thought they had closed down sanitariums. Glad to know that for certain. But I did wonder what they did to people who are incapable of doing anything for themselves and had no one to look after them. So now - it's more like nursing home placement, I guess? I don't like some of those either, but there has to be somewhere for them to go. What happens now with people like Danny and Tony and James if the family isn't willing to keep the responsibility?

ABA is real and happening in countries across the planet. The USA has more ABA programmes than any other country and it's spreading. It is cruel, inhuman and backward.
In principle the idea is sound if it were truly to help kids achieve what many of us found naturally - ways of fitting in. In practice it is no more than bullying to force kids to mask so that they can be "cured" of their aberrant behaviour.

This pains me deeply. I posted it on my Facebook page. I think we need to get the word out about this. Thanks Autistamatic.

To mention methods such as electroshock therapy (which was common a long time ago and is not used anymore, except maybe in some weird backwater Russian ABA clinic) is kind of missing the point.

You are going to have bad hospitals, bad schools and bad ABA clinics. Don't bad mouth the entire practice because scientific review shows it has potentially huge benefits: https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2013r1/Downloads/CommitteeMeetingDocument/13979

It's up to the parents to pick a good place for their child and to monitor their child to make sure no weird crap is going on behind closed doors. But remember that this can happen everywhere so you always need to be vigilant.

The GED grew out of a treatment process known as applied behavior analysis that sees a series of positive and negative reinforcements as the best way to change the behavior of autistic people – the head-banging, biting, hair-pulling and other forms of self-injury.

No one clearly understands why autistic people do this, but some think it’s a form of self-stimulation to manage anxiety and the frustration of being unable to communicate well.

Israel, who had trained under behaviorist B.F. Skinner, founded the center in 1971 in Rhode Island. Initially called the Behavior Research Institute, it used punishments such as spanking, pinching and spraying students with water.

In 1996, Israel moved the facility to Massachusetts, having renamed it the Judge Rotenberg Center after the judge who in the 1980s allowed it to continue aversive therapy. In 1988, JRC started using electric shocks. FDA had approved a form of aversive shock treatment in 1979, and the original GED fell under that classification.

A Rotenberg Center board member says he has used electric shock on himself. Richard Malott, a psychologist at Western Michigan University, used them to eliminate his habit of being unpleasant. “Every time I was sarcastic and hypercritical, if I detected it,” he says, “I would give myself a little ‘ouch, damn it, I hurt’ shock. Now I’m just so sweet and lovable,” he says, completely seriously.

Amazon.com even sells the Pavlok, a $199 device that looks like a Fitbit. “Download the app, and choose the habit you want to break,” the product description says, using “innovative ‘zaptic’ hardware.” Suggestions include zapping yourself with a mild shock if your inbox reaches 50 unread emails or you take too long to get out of bed.

To many, though, aversion therapy is as antiquated as “conversion” therapy, which was once used to convince gay men and women that they should not be sexually attracted to their own sex. In some cases, gay men were shown images of a naked man and then subjected to shocks to “cure” them of homosexuality.

Brian Iwata, a professor of psychology and psychiatry at the University of Florida who developed an earlier version of the GED, called the self-injurious behavior inhibiting system, or SIBIS, says it’s time to phase it out.

The SIBIS is no longer manufactured, Iwata says: “We found other ways to deal with the problem.”

Iwata says he’s treated hundreds of self-injurious individuals at the Kennedy Krieger Institute at Johns Hopkins Children’s Center and the University of Florida, including “the most difficult cases there were to see.” And he’s had success with milder forms of punishment, from timeouts to restraints, as well as rewards.

“It might take longer,” he says. “If we shocked everyone who came in the door, we could probably do things quickly.” But “most professionals in the field do not regard shock as an acceptable form of treatment for problem behavior.”

FDA officials won’t say when they will have a decision on the ban. JRC will likely continue to operate even if it goes through, says Crookes. But the parents who see the device as the reason their children are alive today say they will be left searching for new solutions. Having exhausted other avenues, many doubt they exist.

Massachusetts resident Lauren Emmick says she understands why outsiders might think the practice is bizarre. “If this hadn’t been my journey, I would think people were crazy. I get it,” says Emmick, 61.

She and her husband adopted their daughter Lian, 25, from China at 11 months. At 18 months, Emmick says, Lian was asked to leave day care because she was biting and scratching the other children. Doctors eventually diagnosed a schizophrenic affective disorder that caused aggression.

Everywhere she was sent, Lian ended up being restrained, including at home, Emmick says. When Lian first enrolled at JRC, Emmick resisted the idea of electric shocks.

“I thought she’d hate me for it,” she says. But in the first six months Lian was there, she was restrained 159 times, each for an average of 26 minutes – almost 69 hours total.

Today, Lian gets shocked less than once a month and is able to come home for overnight visits. Emmick comes to the center once a week to take her daughter to lunch.

If experts think there might be other options for her daughter, “I would like to hear what those are,” she says.

ttps://nationalpost.com/health/an-electric-shock-therapy-stops-self-harm-among-the-autistic-but-at-what-cost

I don't think ABA therapy is necessarily bad. It just depends on how it is used. If it is used to stop self-harming behaviors, then that is good. If it is used to stop a child from harmless stimming, then that is not so good.

I don't think ABA therapy is necessarily bad. It just depends on how it is used. If it is used to stop self-harming behaviors, then that is good. If it is used to stop a child from harmless stimming, then that is not so good.

The type of behavioral reinforcement matters, too.....the ends don't justify the means when abusive aversives are being used.

New Threads

Top Bottom