• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A guy hit on me at the Dollar Tree

Effy

self-advocating autistic
I have a really funny story!

Or, you know, maybe not.

Monday, I went to the Dollar Tree for two headphone packages and some toothpaste. I have been sick, so I hadn't been out for a week to get anything I absolutely needed, and it was too cold outside to go out again, as I went into the bank to drop some mail in the mail slot for my grandmother, G, inside the post office, as she has this thing about having to put bills directly inside the PO building. Thus, I was killing two birds with one stone.

Also, I buy my headphones from Dollar Tree for now, because other commercial headphones cannot withstand my need for excessive movement and use (e.g. using them often, dancing, etc.); I needn't receive any suggestions, as I will be purchasing some fancy schmancy ones from a company I've heard great things about.

Moving on, I was wearing a pair of Texas UT pants my cousin gave me, a Mickey Mouse sweater, a white sweater that shrunk because I accidentally washed it in warm water once, and black ballet flats because I couldn't be bothered to dress up and look nice. I also had St. Tropez/whatever that fragrance of theirs is that smells like sunscreen on a beach, and it's one of my favorite scents, but that was just because I needed to make sure I stayed awake and at least smelled nice in the event that I saw a lovely, hot guy whilst I was out (though such is always, always unlikely).

In other words, I might have looked at least 18, but I'm pretty sure I looked at least 15 that day, compared to the unfortunate usual 13 years of age people generally think I am, which is why I am still carded upon purchasing my own medicine.

(On the way to the Electronics aisle, I noticed they've added a crafts section... Interesting touch. :p)

After grabbing the headphones, I made my way to the toothpaste, and we crossed paths. At first, I thought he was an employee, because a lady was talking really loudly about the price of something, and I was so sure he was going to price check the item or something.

I grabbed a package of toothpaste and made my way to checkout; there was only one open, as there normally is. It turns out he's making his way to the checkout, too, and I let out a barely inaudible "oh" as I stop walking and attempt to wait until he makes his way back to the checkout, as I assume he is doing.

But he's not, and he lets me ahead of him. Maybe he's thinking to himself, "It's fate!" or whatever.

I'm into some romance and all that jazz, but at the Dollar Tree? Eh. I don't wish to get married inside a store, thank you.

I step forward, and I wait a little. I don't think to thank him until thirty seconds after, but I'm also out of the house for the first time since my throat stopped hurting at least somewhat, and I was really hoping to not have to say much that day, because coughing in public kind of has a tendency to freak people out, and I'm a bit of a germaphobe; also, it should kind of be known that I'm grateful. Blah. But also, he didn't have to. It was his choice, and just...well, meh.

Not even a minute after putting my headphones down, he comments, "Those headphones don't work well."

I turn around and reply, "Yeah, they last about two weeks to a month."

He nods, and he's smiling, and then he suggests other headphones. He uses headphones from Radio Shack or Race Trac... I can't remember which it was. They have some sort of silver piece. And they work well. I say it again as a question -- the store name -- to at least pretend I'm of interest, and he smiles and nods.

Approximately thirty seconds later, he says, "I work at the liquidation store down the street... If you stop by, you can try out mine and test them out."

Groveling in my head and beneath my skin, I force a sweet, possibly coy, smile and reply, "Okay." The idea of putting someone else's headphones inside my ear(s), especially those belonging to a non-family member or non-well-trusted friend, is utterly repulsive to me. I just can't do it. It's way too weird.

And then I got checked out by the cashier, who accidentally rang up his frozen pizza/thing, which was probz lunch for him. No big deal; I used to get myself lunch from the Dollar Tree next to the Walmart I worked at on occasion, purely out of convenience.

But I'm pretty sure he hit on me. It was awkward and weird, and eh. School started back up Monday as well, so he had to have been out of school. And when the lady had had to go get someone from the back of the store, he had a dramatic sigh and looked at me, and I faked a weak smile (because what else was expected of me?!).

Yes. I passed this story onto about three people for validation of my assumption of the whole thing, and they all confirmed that he wanted to see me again.

I feel bad that he had to hit on the Aspie in the store who lacks of participating in coitus in her life.

He told you where he works so if you go there he will know you took the bait! ;)
I got a date that way by leaving a note on this guy's truck that I knew worked for the DMV. We only went out once because I just didn't click with his personality - after all, he worked for the DMV (do I have to say more?) :confused::p

He told you where he works so if you go there he will know you took the bait! ;)
I got a date that way by leaving a note on this guy's truck that I knew worked for the DMV. We only went out once because I just didn't click with his personality - after all, he worked for the DMV (do I have to say more?) :confused::p
I don't date, though. I don't like the dating game. Really, I would go just to say hi or whatevz to make a friend, but he would take it as something more, unfortunately. :(

(I mean, I assume so.~)

I don't date, though. I don't like the dating game. Really, I would go just to say hi or whatevz to make a friend, but he would take it as something more, unfortunately. :(

(I mean, I assume so.~)

Yep. I know I would.
(Unless you really do want to see if his headphones are better than yours.) :) Yuck. Bring a few alcohol wipes for sure.

Yep. I know I would.
(Unless you really do want to see if his headphones are better than yours.) :) Yuck. Bring a few alcohol wipes for sure.
No one said I have to go... I also don't drive, so...;)
(I've a license, I just can't handle the stresses due to PTSD and PTSD causing dissociation.)

Maybe he was hitting on you. That should be taken as a compliment, not something bad. I love that you use the term fancy schmancy as I do as well but do not hear others use it. I also love the description of your outfit. I love fashion and looking at what people wear. I am NOT into designer crap though, I like when people are creative and different.
I love talking to people and would love to have a female friend or two so that I could have a conversation about feelings or fashion or beauty without being called a fag. Guys just don't communicate in that way. The problem is that girls always seem to think I am hitting on them and I get a half cold response or worse. Some people just want to have fun, meet people and possibly make friends.
Live in hope, not in fear, and just maybe you will have fun, or even an adventure.

Maybe he was hitting on you. That should be taken as a compliment, not something bad. I love that you use the term fancy schmancy as I do as well but do not hear others use it. I also love the description of your outfit. I love fashion and looking at what people wear. I am NOT into designer crap though, I like when people are creative and different.
I love talking to people and would love to have a female friend or two so that I could have a conversation about feelings or fashion or beauty without being called a fag. Guys just don't communicate in that way. The problem is that girls always seem to think I am hitting on them and I get a half cold response or worse. Some people just want to have fun, meet people and possibly make friends.
Live in hope, not in fear, and just maybe you will have fun, or even an adventure.
I'm not living in fear in regards to guys and whatnot. I just lack interest. There's a difference. I have no desire to go out and mingle and meet people, be it for friends or not, at the moment, as I currently have special interests that need to be worked on for the next few months, because I have so many things to do. What's more, I dislike going out because I have allergies, etc.

I didn't take it as something bad, though.

Dollar Tree isn't so bad. I bought my wedding glasses there! Two beautiful, blue glass glasses that I think got ahold of with some of that glass etching goop from Hobby Lobby. I received many compliments on them.

There's always a potential he might just want a friend. One of the coolest friends I made was when I was working at the video rental, and some biker kid from Texas walks in that was on his way with a fleet of bikers to a Memorial Day parade. (They'd had permission to camp out in the parking lot at the shopping strip I worked at.) He hung around and chatted my whole shift when I wasn't attending to the rare customer. Very friendly fellow, I couldn't figure out why he said everybody at the pit stops hadn't been too friendly with them. We traded phone numbers and kept loose touch for years. I still drop him a message online from time to time to see how he's doing.

There's always a potential he might just want a friend. One of the coolest friends I made was when I was working at the video rental, and some biker kid from Texas walks in that was on his way with a fleet of bikers to a Memorial Day parade. (They'd had permission to camp out in the parking lot at the shopping strip I worked at.) He hung around and chatted my whole shift when I wasn't attending to the rare customer. Very friendly fellow, I couldn't figure out why he said everybody at the pit stops hadn't been too friendly with them. We traded phone numbers and kept loose touch for years. I still drop him a message online from time to time to see how he's doing.

Some of us guys that ride steel horses and wear the gypsy leather are the good guys ;)

Oh heck, you made me grin from ear to ear, for honestly, I would act the same way as you!

Had I know about me being an aspie on meeting my husband, I would not have out him through marrying me, but as it happens, I was hard work even before adding aspergers to the list.

I do get hit on even now and the best way around it, if it got to that stage, is: you really would be wise to stop and if in doubt, ask my husband for details, for whoa he just about copes.

Oh man, glad I'm not a teenager anymore. So every time I talked to a girl and tried to be polite/friendly/helpful she assumed I wanted to marry her?
But then I guess it didn't happen that often as I was extremely shy, and feared she might think I wanted to marry her. Lol

Last edited:
Some of us guys that ride steel horses and wear the gypsy leather are the good guys ;)
Can't argue with that! I married a biker. :D
Eh, retired biker, I guess. He'd stopped riding by the time I met him, but he put in quite a few miles.

Can't argue with that! I married a biker. :D
Eh, retired biker, I guess. He'd stopped riding by the time I met him, but he put in quite a few miles.
I modified my porch door frame so I could ride my scooter into my great room
My last house was a pain in the butt to ride in because you had to see-saw the handle bars thru the door opening :p

I park it on a drip pan when it's in the house...if a Harley quits leaking oil,it's because it needs some real bad :D

Well, trying out some guy's headphones isn't exactly swapping spit either.

No harm no foul. No matter what either of you were thinking. I wouldn't put much thought into the location though. I doubt that would come to mind for most teenage boys who see a girl who might attract them.

That should be taken as a compliment, not something bad.
Maybe, but I don't think that's necessarily true in all cases, and it certainly shouldn't ALWAYS be taken as a compliment, IMHO. But it doesn't sound like the OP minded, and in this case I see no reason to assume malicious intent.

I agree with Judge - probably not worth putting too much thought into. And as to the location? I see no reason why it should make a difference where such things take place.

[QUOTE="Effy, Moving on, I was wearing a pair of Texas UT pants my cousin gave me, a Mickey Mouse sweater, a white sweater that shrunk because I accidentally washed it in warm water once, and black ballet flats because I couldn't be bothered to dress up and look nice. [/QUOTE]

Well Effy you must look like a angel for him to hit on you, because you sound like you were walking roadkill being sick and all :rolleyes:. I don't know what to do with looking 15 thing.o_O On the coitus thing:eek: um..not sure that's required to date...but maybe my world is different from yours:confused:. Well at least you know you're hot:cool:. Other than that I'm retiring from the battle field before I stick my foot in my moutho_O. Again!o_O

For what it is worth, Being hit on is a compliment if done in a good way and bad if done in a poor way. Just like anything else, it is not the act but the motive that determines the value.

New Threads

Top Bottom