• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Flaneur and (occasional) Dandy

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I've come to the conclusion from talking with a friend that I am likely a Flaneur, and on occasion a Dandy

A Flaneur is someone who is - "a French noun referring to a person, literally meaning "stroller", "lounger", "saunterer", or "loafer", but with some nuanced additional meanings (including as a loanword into English). Flânerie is the act of strolling, with all of its accompanying associations. A near-synonym of the noun is boulevardier. Traditionally depicted as male, a flâneur is an ambivalent figure of urban affluence and modernity, representing the ability to wander detached from society with no other purpose than to be an acute observer of industrialized, contemporary life."

It doesn't apply to people who are walking in natural areas based on the above description via Wikipedia - Flâneur - Wikipedia - and there is a strong connection to being a Flaneur and street photographer, that doesn't sound like me :rolleyes: ... And I do have a compulsion to walk lots, and mostly in the downtown area, opposite to many people...

And a Dandy you ask? A man who places particular importance upon physical appearance and personal grooming, refined language and leisurely hobbies; every activity pursued with apparent nonchalance. A dandy could be a self-made man in person and persona, who imitated an aristocratic style of life, despite his middle-class origin, birth, and background, especially in the Britain of the late-18th and early-19th centuries

Wikipedia again - Dandy - Wikipedia

One person suggested to me that a Dandy often wears colourful clothing in particular, and simply dresses a little over the top... As some may know, my thing is wearing fedora's and cowboy hats and such, but typically in darker colours and usually with a simple t-shirt, but I do have a couple of weird hats that come out on occasion... I suppose it might be as simple as not being afraid to stand out in general

I've posted this photo of me before on here I think, wearing my rather strange furry "cowboy hat" of a sort during Stampede Week a few weeks ago... I actually love wearing this hat during Stampede week instead of the more traditional cowboy hat...

Sherlock - Stampede re-size.jpg

And a true Dandy? My friend Michael who initiated this thought pattern in a recent conversation, he has multiple colourful suits like this and absolutely loves doing it, when I saw him this past weekend he was wearing an all-pink suit (I didn't take a photo), but this is a photo from when I first met him back in 2020

Digi_01B(9321).jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom