1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

16 People With Autism Describe Why Eye Contact Can Be Difficult

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by AGXStarseed, Feb 15, 2016.

1. FreeDiver

FreeDiver How long can you hold your breath? V.I.P Member

Interesting topic. But is still leave the burning question of Why it so uncomfortable to lock pulples with another person in the first place? You would think that looking at someone's eyes would be no different then looking at something else. I mean, why does it spark an emotional response with us, after all, we're autistic right? We shouldn't be responding emotionally to thing we look at, right?

2. Questella

Questella Peace, Love and all that good stuff

On another side, if you're watching like someone on like youtube, can you look into their eyes through like the video? I've noticed in me that it doesn't trigger that "flight or fight" feeling...

3. FreeDiver

FreeDiver How long can you hold your breath? V.I.P Member

Good point. I don't get that fight or flight feeling when I look at someones eye's in a picture or video.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Suzanne

Suzanne Well-Known Member

I relate so much to all, accept 2.

It is the most awful, out of control feeling. Sometimes are better than others, but when I become aware of looking, then it becomes too much and have to look away.

The trouble is that I also feel rude looking away!

5. unsurewhattoname

unsurewhattoname Well-Known Member

I can look at a picture of an eye by itself, but if it's moving or shown on a face, even in a video, I can't. It's worse on people though. Not sure why. So picture > video > person.