• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

14 hours tinnitus and continuing

aj

Aj
Around 16:30 i had tinnitus which diddnt bother me much as i have dealt with it god knows how many times haha, but this time its becoming too much to handle as i haven't had a break from it since 14 hours ago. I don't know why it hasn't gone yet but i think its due to the volume at work. Since sunday my workplace has become too loud for me to handle, the VNA operators have been beeping between 5-17 seconds which is causing me stress and making me feel overwhelmed and tired. I have spoken to my team leader but he says they have to do it for safety reasons. I been thinking about walking out and quitting many times as its too much to deal with and puts me in states where I'm not in control anymore. But i cannot quit due to money needs. But also for hours before i got tinnitus i had my earphones in watching series on my phone which i never do but i found that internets better on my phone than using wifi. There maybe another reason that im not aware of but i need a break from the ringing in my ears as its too overwhelming, stressful and tiring. Thank you all for your time to read this and to my friends i haven't spoke to in a while, hello :) and hope your good

Oh heck, poor you. I suffer the same from time to time and find that I press my ears for relief or try to swallow, but sadly doesn't work.

I wish I had some suggestions for you, but right now, my brain is blank, but I will try to do a bit of search for suggestions online.

Not every case of tinnitus starts right away. Prolonged exposure can slowly develop it as well and that might very well have happened with you. I mean, listening to loud music on headphones doesn't give you a ringing right away way, but do it for enough time and it will in a lot of cases occur over time.

Considering you've also had it a few times before you mention, those could've been some warning signs.

The best you can do is hope it'll go away soon or try to ignore it by keeping your mind occupied. If you keep focussing on it it's becoming a big annoyance for sure.

If the noise level at work is too high, maybe some ear protection would be in order; some proper earplugs or earmuffs that lower the volume but still let you hear everything you need to hear. Maybe you should ask your employer; if it helps you concentrate on the job, it's a small accommodation to make.

And if you do listen to your earphones a lot, at full blast to drone out the noise, have a look at noise canceling headphones. I haven't tried them myself, but I've seen them being suggested here a few times. They cancel out the outside noise, so you can listen to your music more clearly at lower volumes.

I have had tinnitus in both ears for over 30 years
It varies from cricket noises to a steady jet turbine sound.
Mine came from constant exposure to loud noises in both my lifestyle and work.

You should be wearing ear plugs if you are around loud noises. I've got tinnitus and the ringing in my head is maddening. Get with a supervisor and request hearing protection.

I've been dealing with it for a couple of months. Pondering if whether my long-term exposure to Aspertame (artificial sweetener) had anything to do with it. Been off the Aspertame for about two weeks now (experiencing some withdrawal), but my right ear continues to ring/pulsate. I suppose this could be just another thing I'll have for the rest of my life. Just one more thing to add to my personal and biological "glitch list". :eek:

Last edited:
Decibel Equivalent Table (whats how loud) | Decibel Car Audio the SPL Knowledgebase

Here is a list of decibel levels and the results of each one
If you are in the United States,OSHA would make noise level tests and provide the necessary restrictions if they are unacceptable levels.

An interesting OSHA story was about a plant evaluation that they did for a workplace...they were made to come into compliance with back up alarms on all the lift trucks. When they came back to check if the machinery had been brought into compliance,they did a decibel check and required hearing protection for the workers as the alarms were considered too loud :rolleyes:

Oh heck, poor you. I suffer the same from time to time and find that I press my ears for relief or try to swallow, but sadly doesn't work.

I wish I had some suggestions for you, but right now, my brain is blank, but I will try to do a bit of search for suggestions online.

I did try swallowing but sadly didn't work like it normally does on a plane. I tried pressing and covering my ears but that didn't work either. I really appreciate your help and your research, and hope you can find something. I done some research but couldn't find anything so i came to you guys :) i know i can always count on you all :) thank you very much :)

If the noise level at work is too high, maybe some ear protection would be in order; some proper earplugs or earmuffs that lower the volume but still let you hear everything you need to hear. Maybe you should ask your employer; if it helps you concentrate on the job, it's a small accommodation to make.

And if you do listen to your earphones a lot, at full blast to drone out the noise, have a look at noise canceling headphones. I haven't tried them myself, but I've seen them being suggested here a few times. They cancel out the outside noise, so you can listen to your music more clearly at lower volumes.

I have been thinking about earplugs or something similar since beginning of this week and times before. I will get the on my next payday to see if it makes things easier. I rarely have earphones in which is when i go out shopping once a month. Thanks for your help :) i really appreciate it :)

I have had tinnitus in both ears for over 30 years
It varies from cricket noises to a steady jet turbine sound.
Mine came from constant exposure to loud noises in both my lifestyle and work.

I get tinnitus from loud noises too but never 14 hours strait lol it just comes and goes but maybe like someone said on this page my mind is occupied on something which i don't notice it. I haven't been playing on my xbox which i use to do everyday as I'm watching a series called the unit which i have gotten really into. They are so many things that have changed in work and personal life so this may have something to do with it but i don't know. Thanks for your help :) i really appreciate it :)

You should be wearing ear plugs if you are around loud noises. I've got tinnitus and the ringing in my head is maddening. Get with a supervisor and request hearing protection.

I wish it was that easy i would love it to be that simple but my manager is new and i don't feel comfterble talking to him or asking him for anything. I could ask my team leader which has helped me for a while and makes me laugh. He's a good friend to me in work, so i will ask him :) thank you so much for your advice i really appreciate it :)

I've been dealing with it for a couple of months. Pondering if whether my long-term exposure to Aspertame (artificial sweetener) had anything to do with it. Been off the Aspertame for about two weeks now, but my right ear continues to ring/pulsate. I suppose this could be just another thing I'll have for the rest of my life. Just one more thing to add to my personal and biological "glitch list". :eek:

This made me giggle thanks for that :) i do get what your saying, no matter how well we Handle things theirs always something that comes up to make things harder haha its a pain but life goes on huh, i hope you get through it ok :) and i hope i go deff lol
Thanks for the cheering up i really appreciate it :)

This made me giggle thanks for that :) i do get what your saying, no matter how well we Handle things theirs always something that comes up to make things harder haha its a pain but life goes on huh, i hope you get through it ok :) and i hope i go deff lol
Thanks for the cheering up i really appreciate it :)

True. At my age tinnitus is well...pretty far down on my personal "glitch list" of annoyances.

I feel your pain! I've had tinnitus all my life, since I can remember. Sometimes it's maddening :(

Awwr :( must be hard to deal with for you, i only get it around loud noises or in public i can get it, i think its just too much noise or loud noises which causes mine but im not sure. This has been the first time for 14 hours strait, mine just comes and goes. Not strait away but it will go. Its funny because i see it like a cold in a way, i seen this quote saying something like i always take my clear nose for granted but when blocked i never new how much i loved a clear nose. I think that with tinnitus hehe :) thanks for your message i really appreciate it :) ( i spelt appreciate right this time without spell check :D )

Lol at the moment mines on top, may i ask which is at the top of your annoyance list? :)

That's easy. But I'm not laughing. Gastroesophagial Reflux Disease. (GERD) My greatest reason for discontinuing the use of Aspertame from low calorie sugarless beverages I've ingested for years. Reflux is slowly ruining my quality of life...greatly limiting what I can eat. Or as my brother once said, "You seem to be allergic to food." :eek:

Equally disturbing to discover Aspertame can cause tinnitus as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom