• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

10 "Rude" Things Autistic People Do (And What They Really Mean)

@Au Naturel Any idea how much people like mathematicians, physicists and engineers focus on facts, even if not on the spectrum?

I would imagine that within their disciplines they would have to focus on facts. If they didn't, their building would collapse, their rockets would blow up and their proofs would be disproven.

Outside their disciplines is a different question. Steve Jobs is an example. Brilliant in his field but then got wrapped up in "alternative" medical quackery and so didn't visit a doctor until his cancer was untreatable.

I have to sometimes force myself to listen to people but I either have trouble processing what they say or what they're saying is so boring it just fades into bla bla bla like the adults in the Peanuts cartoons. I wish my mother understood I only "hear" her about 75% of the time.

When I was younger and before my diagnosis I had a problem with being too loud. My teachers would praise me for it whenever I read out loud in class, but everywhere else it was wrong. Since my diagnosis, however, I hardly ever talk loudly now. My mother once said she really enjoys our having conversations in public now because of this.

I don't think I invade other people's personal spacer because I'm always trying to avoid them invading mine.

May seem like I don't listen but I don't always understand what is being said to me so I may ask a lot of questions.

If I am in the middle of something, you need to get my attention first so I can shift my focus and be prepare to hear you speak or else all I hear is gibberish and I don't process what you had told me so I will ask you "what?" so you can repeat it. Even if it doesn't appear I am doing anything wrong, you still need to get my attention first like say my name. Don't just come up to me and start talking.

I am visual so I have laughed at funny images given in my head from words.

I had to learn the arm length rule. This rule doesn't apply in a crowded elevator or subway or bus, or any sort of public transportation or anywhere where it's so crowded it's impossible to be an arm length away.

I have gotten this comment from people about myself and I think my language skills may have something to do with it because I do not have a high advanced language skills and I may be too specific because of the way my mind works. It has nothing to do with you as a person and how I feel about you when I speak, it has to do with me and how I want to be understand and make sure I am articulate and clear in my speech and I explain it in a way I would understand when it is explained to me this way. I have no other way of talking. Plus online it is harder to interpret tone so they cannot see my face or hear my voice to know I am happy or just talking in my normal tone of voice.

Guilty and I have learned more when to keep my mouth shut like for example, if someone is ranting, they are very likely not looking for advice and a solution and they just want to rant so I say nothing.

Also guilty. I may be done with the conversation or I think it had ended because there was a pause. Also if I am at work, at least I have an excuse for this because they would know I have a job to do so I can't stand around and listen and I must work.

I have always talked loud.

My issue with following rules was I relied on other people and rules had to be enforced for me to follow them or there was no rule about it and I didn't know what the rules were if they were not enforced and followed.

And another thing, I would go to school when I was seven and I was in a self contained classroom. I understood then each place had their own rules because my mom had explained it to me so I picked up on school behavior and home behavior so I would go to school and act like the other kids in my class and I wasn't the only student in that class mimicking other kids. I honestly thought my teacher assigned special rules to each student and decided what rule didn't apply to each student so I tested my limits (lot of kids test their limits, I did it to see what my rules were) and I discovered I was allowed to shriek at school. One day I brought that behavior home and my mom called me out on it and I apologized and said I forgot that we only do that at school. So my mom had to call my teacher to see what was going on and it turned out she had a student in her class that shrieked and my mom realized I was learning wrong behaviors and I thought this was how we behaved at school so she had to pull me out of that class and put me in a class with regular kids, kids that could set a good example for me so I could learn appropriate behavior at school. So this was a matter of me taking it too literal and I also mimicked other kids because it was how I learned to act and how I knew appropriate behavior and the rules. Then years later my school wanted to put me in a behavior class and that is what led me to get diagnosed and then they were not able to put me in that class at all. Even my therapist had came to my school and told them this wasn't a Kit issue, this was a issue with their system and said I could be their best student they can ever have for following rules and be a god role model for other kids.

The problem was they were only enforcing rules on me and not on all the kids so I rebelled and was fighting for my rights to be treated like an ordinary kid and not deal with double standards. I never liked injustice and double standards. I think now the reason why they did this was because it was a system they had in place for me as a way to teach me to follow rules but this system didn't work with me because they needed to enforce rules on all students so I would know what the rules were and what was expected. But all it did was it created behavior in me and then they tried to say I had a behavior disorder so they could justify putting me in a behavior class and abandon me. All it did was it made me feel bullied and victimized so it made me fight back because I was frustrated. I wanted to be normal, not be different. I think once I realized what their intentions may have been, it has helped me move forward in life but I still get triggers about it from time to time when I get treated unfairly or when there is injustice in the rules. I had learned to accept that there will be double standards and they exist because moderators or authority figures decide who to apply the rules too and they may enforce them on others who are less popular, it has nothing to do with me being different and they are not doing it to pick on me or to single me our or to bully me. It's not like they saw my username and thought "Oh look there is (my username here) let's single her out and make her feel un welcome by enforcing rules on her while we let our other members get away with it." As a child, I honestly thought they were doing it to me because I was different, technically they were but not for the reason I thought it was.

What do I think of the article? I think it was written to help people understand autism more and I think the author of it is on the spectrum himself if I remember correctly, his name looks familiar.

The article is a fine article. The only thing I don't particularly like about it is that they use language that makes it seem like every autistic person experiences these things the same and views them the same way.

True not every autistic person is the same which is why I applied myself to each section with my own story. This might be Jim Sinclear's experience. I have my own experience and though not all of it applied to me so I only wrote parts that did apply to me.

I would imagine that within their disciplines they would have to focus on facts. If they didn't, their building would collapse, their rockets would blow up and their proofs would be disproven.
The question here is how these neurotypicals manage to focus on facts.

New Threads

Top Bottom