• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

$1.6B Powerball Jackpot!

There's a lottery called EuroJackpot tonight, I think the top prize is 100 million dollars this week. I have a ticket for that.

Biiig money.
Biiiiig prizes.

There's often colossal amounts of land for sale in Scotland. I'd love to buy up a huge swathes of land. Or buy up cheap houses in horrid places, demolish the houses, replant wilderness. Like Hull - that place is real cheap for houses. With 1.6 billion I wonder how much of Hull I could demolish and replace with forest?

Never actually been to Hull, but I've heard that it's well Crimewatch.

Ed

Biiig money.
Biiiiig prizes.

There's often colossal amounts of land for sale in Scotland. I'd love to buy up a huge swathes of land. Or buy up cheap houses in horrid places, demolish the houses, replant wilderness. Like Hull - that place is real cheap for houses. With 1.6 billion I wonder how much of Hull I could demolish and replace with forest?

Never actually been to Hull, but I've heard that it's well Crimewatch.

Ed

That's funny because one of the next towns over from here is called Hull and it is also kind of a sketchy area lol

In Canada, Hull (Gatineau) is to Ottawa like Arlington is to DC - a big city on the other side of the river across from the capital, in another jurisdiction, but holding many government offices.

And while we're on random facts (am I infodumping?), large lotteries are one area where Canada and the US differ in advertising and treatment.

In the US, taxes are paid by the winner and the commonly advertised amount (e.g. $1.6B) is for a 20 year annuity.
The lump sum option is usually for half the amount, and after taxes are taken off, the final amount received is about one third of the advertised amount. Even more confusing is that different states have different tax amounts.

In Canada, taxes are collected by the lottery corporation from ticket sales, and with rare exceptions, the advertised amount is a lump sum payout, so if the prize is $10M, and a single ticket wins, that winner is actually collecting $10M.

In Canada, taxes are collected by the lottery corporation from ticket sales, and with rare exceptions, the advertised amount is a lump sum payout, so if the prize is $10M, and a single ticket wins, that winner is actually collecting $10M.
In Australia your winnings are classed as "windfall" and are tax free. There is no option for being paid in installments, you get it in a lump sum up front.

If I win $1.6B, I would not only be able to afford to buy a new car, I also would just barely be able to afford to top it off with a full tank of gasoline!

Yes, we bought a couple of tickets. $2 per ticket. I'm not really into it, not a gambler by nature, but if nothing is ventured, then nothing is gained. I view as it as a form of entertainment. If I were to win, I'd buy an island somewhere.

If I had any money to spare for a ticket, I'd throw my hat in the running! $1.9B is nothing to pass up....might actually get an amount I can live on for the rest of my life at that level! At least I'd be able to go back to school :)

New Threads

Top Bottom