• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Zork Attacks The Indie-Verse" - A Forum-based text adventure by me!

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
Behold, my latest forum game! Remember a game called "Zork"? It was a text adventure where you typed certain words and gave commands to a character on an adventure. But, make the wrong decision and you might not live to tell the story!

So, what's the story here? Well, the AFGNCAAP, or, Ageless, Faceless, Gender-Neutral, Culturally-Ambiguous Adventure Person, the protagonist of Zork, has just watched his/her/its home get destroyed by an entity cloaked in shadow. Watching it escape through a portal, he/she/it rushes through it, to find themself in a strange world full of weird characters, objects and entities, worlds and places they've never seen! You are this poor sod, and you are so angry at this unknown assailant you could spit fire. You want revenge on a dish served colder than an open fridge in outer space.

"Wait!" you ask. "What happens if I die?" Well, simply put, I'll juggle the role of a generous Grim Reaper along with my dungeon master skills, and give you up to TEN, and ONLY TEN! chances to seek this guy down. Good luck, and don't let the door hit you on the way out! Oh and by the way, whenever you see ">>_", that means you guys can post a command and vote on it.

Hint: Pay attention to the way some words are typed or colored; they could be clues.

WELCOME TO: THE NOSTALGIA ZONE

You are standing in what looks like a middle-age-era village. Several strange-looking residents stroll about their business, either hurriedly walking to an unknown destination or casually striding a long, a map in their own faces. A bard, whose face is hidden by a feathered helm, plucks away at random strings on a lute. He seems troubled, as if he either does not know any songs, or is missing something.

You are carrying:
some bread (2 loafs)
a leaflet (c'mon, this is a different game!)
a strange-looking device

>>_

Oh, hi tree.
Simple. Just type something, like two or more words that illicit a physical action, and see if everyone agrees on it. Then I'll reply to it with the outcome.

I used to love text based adventures, one of the best ones I played was based on the 1984 movie Gremlins. I never did complete it even though I followed a printed out walk through for it.

I also used to write VERY basic text adventures on the Spectrum based on 80's British game show Knightmare, I used to buy the accompanying "Read your own adventure" books to it.

"Talk to bard" received. Next post didn't vote, action unanimous.

Walking up to the bard, he stops fiddling and notices you. "Oh, good day, sir." he says. "I hope you don't mind me asking, but could you help me? I lost a few of my music sheets. I need them, for the good citizens love my music. I'd be happy to pay you handsomely..."

Come to think of it, didn't you come here with some sort of literature? And he says he'll pay handsomely! What a generous fellow!

>>_

"Here, Bard," ( hand him the leaflet,)
"Is this the music thou art looking for?"
" Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For? '
answers the Bard... " I guess not. What art thou looking for?"

>>_

Excitedly, the bard starts hopping about, as you realize, looking at the leaflet, that it is indeed a music sheet! "You found it! I don't believe it! Thank you! And this...hold on..." He fumbles about in his pocket before pulling out a small purse of coins. Handing it to you, it feels really heavy. "This is for you. It should buy you some equipment. Thank you again!"

Turning back to his business, the bard starts to happily strum at a lively tune.

Something isn't right though. You sense that someone is in trouble. Behind you, where the tingles of your mind come from, a knight clad in cerulean armor and a shovel at his side mopes at the ground, his back to a building. This one feels worse.

>>_

Thinx wants to examine the purse.

1 Vote for the above action
0 Votes for any other action

No wonder it feels heavy.
There is something golden inside with the coins.
Rather like a gyroscope.
Maybe it will help find the way.
But, wait...what about the cerulean knight?
Is it really a man in armour or is it a Willy's Knight?
Remember, things aren't always as they seem here.
StarkeyDay 004.JPG

Taking care not to alert him too badly, you approach him. Holding up a hand to show you mean no harm, he slowly looks at you. You ask him what seems to trouble him, and he breathes a heavy sigh, one trodden with grief.

"I've fallen on hard times, friend. My companion, someone loyal and faithful to me, who knew how to use a shield, has been... stolen from me." He rests a hand on the hilt of his shovel. "I'm determined to get her back. Nothing is going to stop me. There is one thing I must take care of, however... and that is the Enchantress that dwells at the Tower of Fate."

You're stricken with a feeling of bewilderment. While you want to help this poor fellow, you've got your own problems, and you can't be in two places at once...

...Or can you?

>>_

"Tell me Sir Knight, how to find the Tower of Fate.
The answer for both of us may lie there."

Before he could answer the golden gyro orb starts spinning.
Everything seems unreal as the veil of reality begins to fade. You have time to ask one last question of the Knight:
" Where did you find that shovel?"
He answers: " Some shadowy figure handed it to me as it blew by. I know not what it is for."

"To find the answer you seek, Sir Knight, keep digging."

New Threads

Top Bottom