• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your personal honesty.

Aspieistj

I know I am incredibly honest; it is just something I have to do in order to feel good about myself. Is this an Aspie trait? It is part of my ISTJ personality. I have NEVER called in to work because of bad weather and I have always lived in areas where ice and snow can be terrible. I kept my car in good condition and always had snow tires, but I never could afford anything like a Jeep or 4-wheel drive. I got up early, blew the drive, and moseyed to work. Once, in a "storm of the century" when the county roads were closed and I was supposed to work 11-7 at the hospital, I took a change of clothes and begged a ride from the Sheriff's department. Some staff couldn't get home so they stayed to work a double, but far more wimped out and called in before the roads were closed. Over the next two days, snow mobilers and owners of vehicles with phenomenal traction volunteered and drove staff to and from work. I am asking this because people on a Labrador Retriever forum are complaining about the number of workers who take advantage of any bad weather and stay home. Someone also wrote that when school was closed, the teens drove to malls and had a blast of a day off. What is wrong with people? Don't hey have an self respect?

So, are my strong feelings about responsibility an Aspie thing, or am I crazy?

I think honesty and being blunt is a powerful strength in being an Aspie. I tend to be way to honest and be way too truthful for some people. Some people think its me being uncaring and having low empathy because I will speak what I think but I would rather be truthful and honest than a fake. I would rather take responsibility for my actions and the consequences then anything else. So I suppose you are not alone.

While I haven't met many Aspies in real life, to be able to compare, I think it is an Aspie trait, as I understand what you mean when you say NTs don't always have a problem with dishonesty.

Many NTs have thought I was odd for not warming to the idea of lying about such things, as calling in sick, or lying on a resume, or inflating my importance when meeting new people. I feel dirty when I do these things, and hate that the truth has been lost to the web of lies.

Unfortunately, the better you can understand his concept, the better you can get along with some NTs (I'm not trying to stereotype, or bad mouth NTs here, this is merely an observation based on personal experiences). I've actually found that NTs will 'warm' to you more if you 'play along'; almost like a right of passage, in order to earn their trust (as they now trust you won't 'feed them to the sharks', should they step out of line occasionally). It falls under the same logic of 'never tell on others'. This is regarded almost a treasonous act; even if we see it as the right thing to do. It's a complex system, and understanding the language of lying is almost a requirement in an NT world.

Vanilla,
Very well said... NTs have a very different concept of lying. A casual lying is not considered dishonesty by NT's.

ISTJ's tend to be brutally honest although an NT of this type may have a bit of a better grasp on "tact" than an Aspie with such. (I am an INTJ.) ISTJ's have a very strict code of conduct for themselves and do not see any logic in NOT performing their duties. So being an Aspie on top of being an ISTJ will make those traits stronger.

New Threads

Top Bottom