• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your Love or Your Life?

I am a professional in this field.
Addicts cannot DECIDE to quit.
When it comes to addictive substances....they do not have any control. It is a disease that will kill you if you do not stop using.
He was an addict when you fell in love with him. Do you have a history of falling in love with men that are unavailable?
I'm being rough here... but i am beginning to see you trying to avoid the truth. I'm 65.

Hi Cali Cat.

So sorry you are going through this.

I am in a very similar position as you, in that I left someone I loved very much because of his intolerable behaviour and the damage he was doing to my mental health. (I was diagnosed with Aspergers ten years ago). I am 12 months down the road now and have had absolutely no contact with him since the day I left him. I still love and miss him, but like you, I have improved my home and I am now able to live my life with much less anxiety and stress now I am by myself. I would never go back to all the uncertainty and subsequent stress of living with someone.

After twelve months, I now find I am so much happier living alone and would never contemplate living with someone ever again. Fortunately, I never get lonely and I never wish I had the company of another human - I love my own space and my freedom too much for that. This is my home and my sanctuary and the only place I can be myself - If i need some human company I grab my dogs and take them for a walk, then back I come to my own space.

I couldn't fix the man I love, and you cannot fix yours, unfortunately - they are not our responsibilities. Ones mental well being must always come first, whatever the cost, and whatever heartbreak it causes initially.

You have done a fantastic thing by putting your needs first, well done as that's not an easy thing to do.

I’m pretty heartbroken today. Last night I had to call off a reunion with my ex-boyfriend/fiance. He did something to upset me again. I found his behavior unacceptable, and had to ask him to not contact me anymore. The last time I left him, I made the mistake of staying in touch, and that’s how we ended up trying to reconnect again.

So many feelings are racing through me right now: disappointment, grief, regret, anger ... love ... missing him terribly. It feels overwhelming. The worst thing of all is the silence. It’s not the external quiet of missing his physical presence around me, but a quiet inside. It’s like the end of a story in my head. The last page has been read, and there is no sequel to provide further insight, or hope for a change in the outcome. No more possibilities, no more expectations, no more focus. A consciousness at loose ends ... untethered ... floating. But floating where? What do I use to fill the empty spaces where we used to talk (to paraphrase Pink Floyd)?

This is going to be very hard for me. He was/is my soul mate. We were so similar, except I don’t have the mental problems and the drinking problem he has. I keep thinking over and over what a waste it all is. He is everything a woman like me could want, except he comes with all this baggage. I simply don’t feel capable of dealing with it.

We’ve only known each other for a year and a half. Perhaps if we had more of a history together I’d feel a greater obligation to stick with him and try to get him to help himself. As it is, I realize he will make my life very difficult if I continue with him. There won’t be any easy path to happily ever after for us. He will require a huge expenditure of time, money and effort from me to attempt to get him well, and there is no guarantee it would work. That's up to him and his willpower.

Be assured, I’m not just talking about a little drinking in the evenings. I’m talking about drinking all night until one passes out, and all day and night on weekends. I’m talking about psychosis that blossoms with each additional drink one consumes, effectively turning a sweet and loving person into a hateful maniac. I’m talking about a true Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde personality. Instant *sshole, just add alcohol.

What would you do if you were in my position? Would you follow your heart and choose to love your man/woman and stick by him/her? Would you be willing to see him/her through the months, or possibly years, of detox and therapy required, and risk everything on the hope he/she would stay "on the wagon" and see the program through? Or, would you go with your better judgement and choose your own well-being and an easier, if not a full and passionate, life without your loved one? What if you felt this was the only person you’d ever love again? Would you choose your love or your life?

If you choose to answer the question, please indicate your age, or at least age group (e.g. under 20, 20’s, 30’s, so on). I’m interested to see how age might affect answers.

I am so very sorry you are suffering so.
I am a family therapist in my 60s.
You are doing what is right. People in addiction cannot have a relationship with anyone but their substance. He is not present for you.
Try several alanin mtgs. for warm support and education.
Keep in touch with us,
A.

New Threads

Top Bottom