• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

You don't want to hear this.....

Why do "we" always focus on the negative? Because saying positive things about one's self -- even once -- can be misconstrued as bragging.

Paradoxically, focusing solely on the negative aspects of one's life attracts attention, compliments, and even encouragement from others -- probably why some people seem to always have something to complain about.
Why do we solely focus in saying downcast things instead of uplifting?
I mean yes everyone is only human.
But people tend to say negative thinks about themselves instead of positive and why do they not try to do the opposite think of uplifting things to say about themselves like things they like/love about themselves.
It is a practice
But why is it wrong if you do not want to think of horrible, negative, downcast and things that put yourself down and make you feel like less.
You can only do the best you can.

I have a roof over my head, my bills are all paid, I have food in my kitchen, I have clean drinking water. I am so better off than billions of other people are. I have to remember that.
It is true...
Each day people forget
-they have their health and can have and for some afford food and eat well.
They have clean drinking water some fortunate countries
Have a safe non violent shelter or a comfortable home.
Use their legs and hands
Live in safety, having freedom and some peace of mind and security
Have clothing
Have warmth and cooling
Yes bills get high, cost of living is rising.
It is true, people work very hard for what they have well most people.
But there are still blessing people take for granted
Like walking their pets, spending time with their kids, getting a pie for lunch etc
Those little blessings they take for granted.

I suppose the worst of it may or may not tie into my question in another thread. The possibility that certain traits and behaviors (even on a "micro-basis") may exist, which are "hard-wired" in our brain on a level that science has yet to explain.

Which could also make a near-mockery of the already ambiguous nature of DSM-V protocols. Regardless of what ASD tier might apply to us using those same standards.

I can't explain how my mind so easily defaults to the worst-possible scenarios. Only that it does, and does so consistently. Even when I can rationalize them later knowing the mathematical odds.

I suppose the worst of it may or may not tie into my question in another thread. The possibility that certain traits and behaviors (even on a "micro-basis") may exist, which are "hard-wired" in our brain on a level that science has yet to explain.

Which could also make a near-mockery of the already ambiguous nature of DSM-V protocols. Regardless of what ASD tier might apply to us using those same standards.

I can't explain how my mind so easily defaults to the worst-possible scenarios. Only that it does, and does so consistently. Even when I can rationalize them later knowing the mathematical odds.
Mine definitely does that occasionally too.

It's not negative when a lot of people who've been very lonely, marginalized and sidelined finally find a group of people who get it and can communicate about the things they are struggling with and get support. We might be Aspies and Autists who can't handle a lot of social attention, plenty of us, but we are still human, with the same human needs as everyone else.

And yes "toxic positivity" is a thing. It's when people who really haven't done their own "shadow work" can't handle the very human need to express pain and troubles and they "bypass" it with pat, fake "positivity" instead of compassion and understanding they try to dismiss and, ironically, judge that person as "being negative" which is in itself, quite negative. I always thank my children for talking to me, even when it's really "negative" and even hurtful, when, sometimes, they are taking it out on me and it's not a reasonable thing, but I still thank them for communicating with me because that in itself, is a positive thing!
They trusted me enough to be vulnerable and express their pain to me! How frigging awesome is that? I couldn't do that with my mum! I'm still too scared to be very honest with my mother! I just shut down.

Truly being negative for Autistic people, would be shutting down, going non verbal, too traumatized to even communicate, just hiding away and feel like dying.

That's how I see it.

But, if people are really "stuck" in a negative loop, that youtube vid I put up, earlier in this thread, has some very interesting neuroscience that would help them, if they apply it.

Another reason why some people may be reluctant to openly tout the positive aspects of their lives may have something to do with the hostility expressed by some perpetually negative people toward anyone who has something positive to say about themselves.

I remember bragging about my wife for how smart and pretty she is on another website and being insulted and threatened by someone who though I was specifically targeting him. He was another of those poor, sad souls who does not understand why he cannot get a girlfriend despite all the advice and suggestions he has received over the years.

New Threads

Top Bottom