• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

You cannot trust yourself effect.

You’re killing me! Nobody reads the classics anymore. And they’re all being mangled and warped into movies that bear little resemblance to the actual stories, because god forbid anyone read a book. I’m waiting for them to make The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and/or Treasure Island. My heart will break, and it will be my queue to abandon “civilization,” so called, and retreat to the Arctic a la Frankenstein’s monster.

Haha! I've found it easier to simply opt out of the universe of movies. It's a world of simplifications, lies, and violence.

Haha! I've found it easier to simply opt out of the universe of movies. It's a world of simplifications, lies, and violence.

Me, too. I don’t watch or even know about most movies that come out these days. But film adaptations of classic novels...it makes me sad when these incredible, gorgeously-written stories are hijacked by Hollywood.

Movies work well for people who don't find reading easy, for example with dyslexia. Not everyone finds reading books easy.

Also, they are a genre in themselves, and don't necessarily work as true representations of books. They're probably best if they start out as movies, based on screenplays, for example, the Fantastic beasts films based on J.K.Rowlings screen plays. There's scope for such a lot that a book can't do, it's a different genre with different strengths.

The only movie I can think of is Girl Interrupted. I'm not sure whether I trust the protagonist's view of things that happen. My Mum has mental health issues, possibly scizophrenic. There was something familiar in this movie in the array of characters, not so much the protagonist. I am familiar with living with someone who doesn't see the world how it is. I need to read the real biography it was based on. The girl was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.

Do you like to read novels? I read In the Woods, but Tana French and that really irritated me on the first read through, but the more I thought about it I realised that it was an unusual book. Normally you are meant to trust the narrator to tell you the real story. Normally a novel unfolds and tells you the truth of that story. You get a satisfying murder mystery ending where you find out who did it.

In this book, you are never directly told what happened. I was like, what's the point of that! I was so irritated I had spent hours reading this with no answer to the mystery.

But you are not meant to know if he is truthful or not. I read a few reviews and it finally clicked with me. You are not to trust the protagonist. You have to read between the lines.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woods-Dublin-Anthony-Macavity-Clarion/dp/1444758349

The only movie I can think of is Girl Interrupted. I'm not sure whether I trust the protagonist's view of things that happen. My Mum has mental health issues, possibly scizophrenic. There was something familiar in this movie in the array of characters, not so much the protagonist. I am familiar with living with someone who doesn't see the world how it is. I need to read the real biography it was based on. The girl was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.

The movie is primarily fiction. The book isn't written in a typical, linear, novel-like fashion, and is more of a series of depictions, like vignettes. The movie takes some of them and runs with it. I'd say it's more accurate to say the movie is inspired by the book rather than based on it.

As a side note, I love the movie and the book.

Do you like to read novels? I read In the Woods, but Tana French and that really irritated me on the first read through, but the more I thought about it I realised that it was an unusual book. Normally you are meant to trust the narrator to tell you the real story. Normally a novel unfolds and tells you the truth of that story. You get a satisfying murder mystery ending where you find out who did it.

In this book, you are never directly told what happened. I was like, what's the point of that! I was so irritated I had spent hours reading this with no answer to the mystery.

But you are not meant to know if he is truthful or not. I read a few reviews and it finally clicked with me. You are not to trust the protagonist. You have to read between the lines.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woods-Dublin-Anthony-Macavity-Clarion/dp/1444758349

The book Girl, Interrupted (non-fiction memoir) is so much better than the movie. And it’s very, very different, too. The characters in the film aren’t at all like the people in the book, and it’s a completely different story. It’s a great book.

You’re killing me! Nobody reads the classics anymore. And they’re all being mangled and warped into movies that bear little resemblance to the actual stories, because god forbid anyone read a book. I’m waiting for them to make The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and/or Treasure Island. My heart will break, and it will be my cue to abandon “civilization,” so called, and retreat to the Arctic a la Frankenstein’s monster.

Considering how many times A Christmas Carol has been adapted and remade for decades now, it doesn't surprise me anymore.
Funnily enough (and as I mentioned on another thread), I was watching the TV series Box of Delights and in the first episode (10:54 on the video below), one of the children not only suggests a more violent version of Home Alone but claims that "Christmas should be brought up to date with gangsters and automatic pistols and aeroplanes".
It made me wonder, imagine if someone adapted A Christmas Carol but set in 1930's America, with Scrooge instead been a gangster instead of a moneylender?
(It certainly wouldn't be faithful, but it'd probably be entertaining).

New Threads

Top Bottom