• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would you take an Aspie specific job, even if it was for rubbish money because you were on benefits?

Would you work for less than minimum wage if it was the only way to get a job?

• Yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Are you having a laugh?

• Depends on the wage/hours

• No chance!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I did 2 years voluntary work while training for my work as a counsellor but I enjoyed it and it did lead to paid work though not high pay. Voluntary sector pay isn't high usually. We have no core funding anymore in UK and have to bid for contracts which often don't reimburse core costs of administration and so on. You have to be value driven and be doing it partly because you want to help. It shouldn't be like that but it is. And lots of higher paid jobs come with penalties like distressing working conditions and strict stressful managements.

Work is work of course but it's always good to look at other opportunities as well and weigh them all out.

Just curious, have you ever been able to volunteer at any jobs you truly loved doing? Millions of people would work for no money if they could have benefits to have their needs met.

I do understand though. In the USA, we have the same issues...can’t make too much money or else benefits yanked away. But one cannot make enough money to pay bills, and the benefits are still needed. Getting PAID for real work makes everybody feel great, and like a human being. I have been exactly in your situation. It is difficult, frustrating, and feels hopeless when not paid wages like everyone else.

Which is why IF you have to volunteer - find something you LOVE to do. It makes the whole situation FEEL better. On the other hand, realize that we need to avoid those bits of humans and society that constantly try to make everyone into nothings if they are not “making money.” I avoid all that like the plague!

New Threads

Top Bottom