• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

would love to talk religion without politics

kay

Sometimes a bit of religious themed conversation might interest me but I don't want to talk about politics so I haven't enabled the religion and politic section. Anyone else want the two separate?

Sometimes a bit of religious themed conversation might interest me but I don't want to talk about politics so I haven't enabled the religion and politic section. Anyone else want the two separate?

There is no requirement to discuss both at the same time.
There is no obligation to read a Political thread if your
interest is Religion, and vice versa.

There is no requirement to discuss both at the same time.
There is no obligation to read a Political thread if your
interest is Religion, and vice versa.
If I allow the politics and religion section would I be able to avoid the political threads entirely or would I still see the subjects? My anxiety over politics hasn't improved and I don't want to add any risk of political anxiety attack, it's hard enough to avoid as is. But, despite being a rather non-religious type, I really do love an occasional dip into theology. I suppose it's an old habit I can't quite let go of.

Politics and Religion is one of the parts of the Hobbies section, so if you go there, you will see all threads concerning these two topics. If you'd like to have these two sections separated and feel that other would profit from this as well, I would suggest contacting one of the moderators.

Politics and Religion is one of the parts of the Hobbies section, so if you go there, you will see all threads concerning these two topics. If you'd like to have these two sections separated and feel that other would profit from this as well, I would suggest contacting one of the moderators.
If anyone else seems interested I will do that but, as so often is the case, I may be the one person here interested in only one of the two.

If anyone else seems interested I will do that but, as so often is the case, I may be the one person here interested in only one of the two.

I don't think you're the only person out there. It's just not common enough for it to have already been suplemented.

I am interested in both topics, but politics definitely kicks up my anxiety to astronomical proportions. I like to keep the topics separate as much as possible, but will only discuss either topic in a safe place.

I placed a note in the staff forum to see if this is possible.

Please be patient until we get an answer from Brent.

Regarding splitting Politics and Religion into 2 separate opt in forums, well personally it doesn't bother me, but I can certainly understand why it would be better for some members and I suppose it does makes sense to have 2 subjects that are mostly totally different from each other separated with into their own individual forums, there's also no significant disadvantages to members who aren't really bothered about this change, so it's a win only situation and I would therefore recommend doing it.

There will be of course be a small number of threads that talk about both religion and politics, for instance a thread could be discussing the politics of a conflict that involves different religions, but there's many threads in every section that discuss more than one subject where it might be difficult to place them, that is unavoidable and these would just have to be put into the forum that is the most appropriate using your best judgement, E.g. if it talks a bit more about politics than religion or it's the most important point it would be best in "Politics" and vice versa. If any thread discusses either politics or religion however it would obviously need to go into one of the opt in forums even if this wasn't the biggest part of the discussion.

I placed a note in the staff forum to see if this is possible.

Please be patient until we get an answer from Brent.
There's bound to be a relatively easy way to add another opt in forum in XenForo since you already have one setup, you are probably using an addon called Optional Forums 1.0.5 which seems to support as many optional opt in forums as you want. You might need admin access to the forum's front end to access some of the opt in options (I'm not certain as I've never used this specifically).

1. Change the existing forum name from "Politics & Religion" to just "Politics" or "Religion", I suggest changing it to whichever has the most existing threads so far to create less work, E.g. if there's more threads about politics change it to "Politics" and vice versa.

2. Create a new opt in forum for the other subject, so if the existing opt in forum was changed to "Politics", the new opt in forum would need to be called "Religion" or vice versa. The existing sticky thread would need to be changed appropriately in the existing opt in forum and a new one would need to be added for the new opt in forum (most text would probably be copied from the existing one and slightly modified). To create a new opt in forum I would assume you'd firstly just create a normal forum with the correct permissions, then there must be a way to add/change it to an opt in forum.

3. This is the PITA part because it involves work for the staff. A staff member will need to go through all the existing threads and move them to the appropriate opt in forum. For instance if the existing opt in forum was renamed to "Politics" and the new opt in forum was "Religion" all the existing threads would still be in "Politics" including threads about religion and these would need to be moved manually to the new forum. Of course you could just leave existing threads up until the change, but obviously it would look a bit naff. I'd be willing to do this to help, but of course I'd need temporary moderator permissions for both of the opt in forums.

PS: XenForo appears to be an excellent commercial forum system that is a cut above most free and open source forum systems, don't get me wrong some of the free ones are excellent considering they're free, but you tend to get better if you pay in this case.

Last edited:
I enabled it but it says I don't have enough posts. How many do you need?
On May 3 you had enough posts to post in that section as evidenced by post #9.
Spiritual Experience

I went into the admin area and checked to see if you were registered for it and the correct box was ticked.
I did it again from my end, so try posting there again.

Happy to talk spiritually and not politically if you want. In fact, despite what is said with regards to the two, they SHOULD be separate, since Jesus never got involved.

Thank you @Nitro and @Brent for your response! I have so many religious things in my head to chat about and now have a debate free place to exchange thoughts. It has kinda cheered my otherwise dismal week. Really, I have been feeling so left out because I have so much trouble in group settings and maybe I might now get to see what others are thinking about some stuff without having to attempt talking in an in person group.

New Threads

Top Bottom