• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would a teen thread be useful?

Should I start a Teen Lounge Thread?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rodafina

Hopefully Human
Staff member
V.I.P Member
I was wondering what young people on the forum think about having a thread designated for teenagers. I don’t mean to suggest that we can’t all be integrated, but many of us here are Oldies, compared to the 13 to 20 year olds that come here. Although, I think everyone can help each other regardless of age, I can only imagine that the current struggles for teenagers with autism are unique and sometimes I wish they had more of a space for themselves here. I am 42, so I can’t logically create the space myself, but I’d be happy to get it going.

Would it be useful to have a teen thread here where the issues could be more relevant to younger forum members, or is that just redundant because everyone is welcome on all the threads here?

Difficult concepts like humour aside, honestly, I think have a designated space for younger members is a good idea. Consider the fact that there is a lot of forum to cover and some of the conversations can be deeper and a bit intimidating (not to brag, but we have some truly intelligent folks on here).

For younger members who haven't interacted on a forum before, it might deter them from offering an insight because they won't feel like it is good enough or valid.

And while autism diagnosis and acceptance are becoming more widespread, we are still at a point where ASD is treated as a stigma, a lot of people treat us as defective or incapable. The negative reinforcement from the educational institutions is way more fresh and ingrained at that point, and for many younger ASDers this is the era when self esteem and worth are at their lowest ebb.

This forum illustrates all walks of life's journey, and shows what can be achieved, but all of that comes with work, time, and life experience. Concepts that are alien to teens and young adults. Sometimes having a space where you can set the mask down and indulge in being young, it can help.

Age is just a number, but there is something to be said for having access to one's own peer group. It is a good idea for a stepping off point.

I was wondering what young people on the forum think about having a thread designated for teenagers. I don’t mean to suggest that we can’t all be integrated, but many of us here are Oldies, compared to the 13 to 20 year olds that come here. Although, I think everyone can help each other regardless of age, I can only imagine that the current struggles for teenagers with autism are unique and sometimes I wish they had more of a space for themselves here. I am 42, so I can’t logically create the space myself, but I’d be happy to get it going.

Would it be useful to have a teen thread here where the issues could be more relevant to younger forum members, or is that just redundant because everyone is welcome on all the threads here?

Nice topic. I just know our oldest 13-year-old son would not feel comfortable in any forum where there was mostly adults writing, unless there was a separate section where topics were more along his lines of interest or where members spoke more his language and level. Right know, although it is true he is mostly into video games and creating music videos, which a few to many adult members here might relate to, his emotional, social and writing abilities seems more limited. It could be better he talk to others his age more in such forums, to get comfort or feel more safe there. As it is now, lots of younger persons are likely just reading posts but not participating, so yes, such an idea @Rodafina mentioned might bring some of those members out to express or share more. Also, many adult members might be hesitant to speak to younger members, because of the appearance of it, even if no bad intent was involved but just kind desires. So, those adult members might be happy the younger crowd could get some feedback from the younger participants.

Given the current times we're in and internet predation, I don't want to a doomsayer, but having a thread where teens would congregate might attract internet predators more so than having the forum the way it is now. Predators posing as teens, PMing teens, etc.

Just a thought.

Given the current times we're in and internet predation, I don't want to a doomsayer, but having a thread where teens would congregate might attract internet predators more so than having the forum the way it is now. Predators posing as teens, PMing teens, etc.

Just a thought.

Valid thought...I had it, too. Cause, people can and do have the ability to be dreadful.

I like giving advice to some of the older members late teen young adults. As I seen so far a dedicated thread for teens would be useful.

Just a thought.
I mean obviously this wouldn't stop creeps from being creeps entirely but I'd just make it clear to any teen users here that if anyone tries to PM them and starts acting creepy and/or inappropriate to them in their private messages, they should report and block the user.

I mean obviously this wouldn't stop creeps from being creeps entirely but I'd just make it clear to any teen users here that if anyone tries to PM them and starts acting creepy and/or inappropriate to them in their private messages, they should report and block the user.

The problem is that most creeps don't start out being creepy or inappropriate. They may never expose that side of themselves (no pun intended) in order to be reported or blocked. There can still be a lot of grooming, emotional bonding, and catfishing behind the scenes whether either party is aware of it or not. It's also hard to report "gut feelings" when they arise unless there's something really specific that breaks the rules.

I think the comments about people’s safety are extremely relevant, and perhaps the most important thing.

My question is if a simple thread where teens can have their space would be any different than them being here on the forum at all. I think we should be more actively spreading the word to each other that private messages should also be a place of safety and that we have the administrator support there.

There would still be plenty of people around to offer support to the teens, and everything would still be public.

I think there are a good amount of young people who have grown up learning important safety measures on the internet and they can support each other in this way, too.

Thanks to everyone for offering your opinions and insight here.

Honestly, what I think there should be is a section of the forum, moderated by @tree and @Nitro , that people under 18 can go to hang out with other teens. It could be under the general part of the forum, that people not logged in can't see. Maybe if you're over eighteen, you cannot access it- similar to how the VIP section works.

It's up to you @DragonKid♾, but I think it's a good idea that you go for it and then see what happens. There doesn't need to be a consensus for the idea, but it looks like members here are generally supportive. Just remember to put it somewhere in the "private discussions (members only)" group. Maybe under general private discussion.

What's our consensus on whether the thread should exist? If we're in favor of the idea maybe I could start it? I don't know.
If you’re up for it, I think this would be the ideal situation.

I’ve been on the verge of getting one started but as an old person, it almost doesn’t feel right. I think you will have full support and I am definitely here to help with anything. In my opinion, I think you should totally go for it.

If you do, just let us know if you want any help.

I will definitely encourage new teens who join the forum to check it out or remind people that it is there.

You poor old fart. :)

I think it's a good idea. As we go through different stages of life we go through different ways of looking at the world and the things that we relate to in our world change. Some people will try to say that teens have a different language and in some ways that's sort of true. They have grown up in a different era so it's only natural that they have different icons that they relate to and use as referrence points. So it's often easier for teens to talk to other teens.

(I used to train apprentices)

You poor old fart. :)
1678192861534.png

New Threads

Top Bottom