• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Worst game on the PS4?

Even that's probably illegal under copyright law, in fact I'm 99.9% certain it is.

If it was as illegal as you say, there would be no free access open-source emulators running commercial games that would be as easily found as they are now. What is fully illegal is piracy of ROMs - so, in fact, downloading the games themselves without paying for them or downloading games you've bought before - not dumping catridges for personal use on a different console/PC. Emulators are simply programms that emmulate.

Anyway, I'm not going to pursue this conversation anymore, since I find it rather pointless.

If it was as illegal as you say, there would be no free access open-source emulators running commercial games that would be as easily found as they are now. What is fully illegal is piracy of ROMs - so, in fact, downloading the games themselves without paying for them or downloading games you've bought before - not dumping catridges for personal use on a different console/PC. Emulators are simply programms that emmulate.

Anyway, I'm not going to pursue this conversation anymore, since I find it rather pointless.

Actually the real reason why those emulators of recent consoles are still going is.... simply that nobody has bothered to deal with them. Well... usually. They will on occaision. But for the most part, the Big Three have other concerns that require their attention. A bunch of rather crappy, shady emulators are not exactly high on their list.

Mostly though the problem with recent emulators is just how risky they are. I personally would never go anywhere near them or any sites that have them. There's alot of reasons why I stick to emulation of ancient games only (I seriously refuse to go past SNES era), and that's one of those reasons.

Meh, don't come complaining on here if the Cops come knocking on your door for copyright infringement.

And no, copyright infringement is NOT just a civil issue, it's a CRIMINAL matter.

The Order 1886, I remember that one. It is not an exclusive.

From what I heard, it was both short AND terrible. Like, REALLY short. And alot of the, ahem, "combat", was crappy quick-time events (why do devs even still DO those? NOBODY likes them!) and half of the game was cutscenes or something.

Granted, that's AAA gaming for you these days, but still, it was unusually low on content even for one of those.

I remember at the time it came out, it sparked a whole lot of backlash and arguements about the state of the industry, and paying alot more for alot less.

Not that this stopped gamers from buying into that sort of crap as always. I swear, these companies generate MORE sales by disappointing the hell out of everyone. A paradox of some sort.

Yes, The order 1886. I pre-ordered and paid $120 because it seemed like a game I would adore by the description. What a waste of money.

Yes, The order 1886. I pre-ordered and paid $120 because it seemed like a game I would adore by the description. What a waste of money.

The lesson hopefully learned here should be: Never pre-order. No exceptions.

Pre-ordering originally was conceived for a good reason: Because stores would quickly run out of copies of popular new games. If you wanted one the day it came out, you pre-paid to guarantee it, up until they ran out, at which point they'd stop accepting pre-orders.

But now? No. More and more people are buying digitally... the stock is infinite, with those. This also lessens the load on physical copies, as not as many players desire those now. I cant remember the last time I heard of a store, even freaking Walmart, actually running out of one. The only thing I can remember anyone running out of was the Nintendo Switch itself, when that came out. But the games? Nah. Even Zelda was easily found. And the same goes for popular releases on the other consoles.

The reason pre-orders continue to exist is purely because it accomplishes something for the publishers: It gets you to buy a product before you actually know how good... or in most cases, bad.... it actually is. These companies continue to grow both more lazy, and more shady with each passing day. They want more and more, and give less and less in return. If they could legally get money by simply beating you into the floor and stealing it, they'd not hesitate for a second.

Dont fall for their tricks, no matter how exciting the game seems, and no matter what is offered. But even moreso.... dont fall for trailers. Be it at E3, any other event, or on the internet. Whenever you see a trailer, discard whatever it's showing to you. Ever noticed how alot of trailers dont show actual gameplay? And when they do, they show it in really vague ways that make it impossible to *really* know about it? There's a reason for that, as The Order quickly proved.

No matter what the game in question is, RESEARCH your purchase before buying. Reviews and proper gameplay videos come out almost immediately upon release.

Yes I'm rambling a bit here, but if there's ANY lesson I could teach to consumers in this industry, it's this one. Dont pre-order, and dont trust anything the publishers shove at you... no matter how shiny it may be.

@Misery, I recently pre-ordered Spyro reignited trilogy and WWE 2K19 on Xbox One. I played the original Spyro on the PS1 20 odd years ago and it was rather good.

@Misery, I recently pre-ordered Spyro reignited trilogy and WWE 2K19 on Xbox One. I played the original Spyro on the PS1 20 odd years ago and it was rather good.

Aye, but that has no bearing on the new version.

I can think of multiple "remasters" that were, frankly, crap. And some that were okay, but that were NOT worth the price paid. Old games are one thing... there are loads of older games that are fantastic. I'm very into retro games myself, going all the way back to the outright ancient 2600 console. Old games altered or ported by very bad or really lazy/cheap companies in some way are another matter entirely though.Remember, a "remaster" is actually a port (and ports in general are notorious for bugs and other problems). Nothing more. You are paying for a very small amount of work done by the "devs" compared to the original product.

To bring up one of the most famous recent examples: You might have heard about the NES mini or whatever it was, right? People went freaking BONKERS to reserve that thing. All these old classic games from their childhood, brought back to life with new technology, making it easier than ever to play them! Nintendo had total control of those consumers, and they went wild, doing anything they could to get their hands on it. Sometimes spending ridiculous amounts without really understanding the product. And.... it wasnt very good. Inaccurate emulation, lack of features, lack of game selection... they couldnt even get the freaking color shading right for the emulated games (no, seriously. It's enough that anyone really into those older games would spot it instantly). It was not even close to being worth the price. For those that use real emulators, the comparison was completely ridiculous. And for anyone else? Buying an ACTUAL NES console and the related games (and the related adaptor for the TV) would have been a muuuuch better investment (particularly the top-loader model, which is nearly indestructible) and would often have been MUCH cheaper.

That's just one example, a particularly well-known one. There have been MANY others, typically software releases that do not involve a device like the Mini.

One thing companies like these do to get you to pay for something that doesnt yet exist is to capitalize on nostalgia. This becomes more and more frequent as time goes on. It's an easy way to get people to obsess over the upcoming product (thus being more willing to pay for something that isnt even finished yet), while ALSO allowing the company to create a product that takes minimal effort/budget. Ports or re-releases of older games are in some cases (many, actually...) actively WORSE than the originals. Like with the NES Mini, these companies are banking on consumers not being able to spot the problems (or spotting them, but "remembering" them as always having been there). And in almost all cases, they are not actually worth the retail price upon release, even when done fairly well (again, this is very low-effort "development", even when the job is well-done the resulting price usually doesnt match what went into it). There are exceptions of course, but this is rare.

As I said, my rule of never pre-ordering contains no exceptions... not even one. With no practical spending limit and literally nothing but free time, all the time, I've had ALOT of experience in being a consumer for this industry, but I've also had connections to the industry myself, as well as having done some development (and way, WAY too much testing over way too many years). I'm not just pulling these ideas out of the air here. This comes from both personal experience, as well as alot of knowledge of how the industry *actually* operates. I learned the hard way quite a long while ago to always, always, ALWAYS wait for actual evidence of the quality of a game before buying it... and that cannot appear until it releases.

Well, I hope that your purchases turn out well, then, regardless. One way or another, it's your money, after all... if you're pleased with the results, then all is well in the end, yeah? (and I'm well aware that the original Spyro was indeed quite good, way back when... what they did to the series in recent times irritates me. I'd love to see a genuinely new Spyro, but it's never going to happen).

My points remain, though (I typed this out not just as a response to you, but for any others that might read it too, so that's why it's this wordy. Also I'm always wordy.)

The original Spyro on PS1 was awesome! I really didn’t like Skylanders though.

I bought Skylanders and a couple of extra figures for it, couldn't get on with it so I sold it on eBay for the same price I paid for it, £30, and gave the extra figures to my Cousin's son.

I still genuinely wonder how in the funky hell Spyro became Skylanders in the first place. From what I've seen, it's not even remotely similar.

Granted, I've only seen so much. The whole "buy a million figures to keep playing this" idea doesnt exactly get me interested.

I still genuinely wonder how in the funky hell Spyro became Skylanders in the first place. From what I've seen, it's not even remotely similar.

Granted, I've only seen so much. The whole "buy a million figures to keep playing this" idea doesnt exactly get me interested.

Disney started the idea with one of their games, and it kind of "caught on" a few years back, so Skylanders copied it.

Although it's a bit stupid to pay £40 for the game "starter" pack, and then £8.99 a time for the extra figures.

Only reason I did it was because I knew I could eventually flog the stuff on eBay for a possible profit because of the exceeding demand for the extra figures.

Disney started the idea with one of their games, and it kind of "caught on" a few years back, so Skylanders copied it.

Although it's a bit stupid to pay £40 for the game "starter" pack, and then £8.99 a time for the extra figures.

Only reason I did it was because I knew I could eventually flog the stuff on eBay for a possible profit because of the exceeding demand for the extra figures.

Huh. But why did they specifically choose Spyro to warp into that new shape? That's the question that'll probably not get answered. I mean really they could have just made a totally new series without the Spyro name. That game was good but it's not a well-known thing these days, after all.

I'll never understand some of the bizarre things some of these companies do. Though I do understand the whole "it's printing money for this other company, we should copy it" bit. That's super common, aint it...

New Threads

Top Bottom