• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Worried I'm going to die

Yes, I can look up my doctor's notes online! They're quite boring. :)

That was how I discovered that a hospital "diagnosed" me with schizo-affective without telling me, at which point I researched and learned that this is done for insurance reasons. Especially since "Borderline" is often not covered, since it's hopeless and all. :rolleyes:

Thinking of you at this time. I'm sure you'll be fine but a checkup with a family doctor could be a good thing for you.

Yes, I can look up my doctor's notes online! They're quite boring. :)

That was how I discovered that a hospital "diagnosed" me with schizo-affective without telling me, at which point I researched and learned that this is done for insurance reasons. Especially since "Borderline" is often not covered, since it's hopeless and all. :rolleyes:
I was diagnosed with social phobia in about 1992 without them telling me. I only found out about it because I saw it on the GP's computer screen.

Doctors can remove notes that 'might upset the patient' that is to say, don't count on seeing everything that has been written about you.

I often look up health issues online, but, most people don't have enough medical training or knowledge
to sort through the terms, names or have enough general understanding of medicine and the human body
to weed out BS from truth.
If you do look for info online I would suggest staying with the better sites like Mayo clinic info,
WebMD or specialty associations like American Cancer Society and always look for the little sign under the site title that says AD. Those are trying to sell you something.

I don't trust doctors blindly as they would like for you to.
They do take things too lightly much of the time or label you hypochondriac especially if you have
a history of anxiety or emotional problems.
Mistakes do happen, wrong medicines get given also. How often, I don't know, but, I've had it
happen and knowing how to talk with a doctor can make a lot of difference.

"There is a myth promulgated by both quacks and academics who should know better that medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the United States. You’ll see figures of 250,000 or even 400,000 deaths each year due to medical errors, which would indeed be the third leading cause of death after heart disease (635,000/year) and cancer (598,000/year). When last I discussed this issue three years ago, specifically a rather poor study out of The Johns Hopkins that estimated that 250,000 to 400,000 deaths per year are due to medical errors, I pointed out how these figures are vastly inflated and don’t even make any sense on the surface. "

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/ar...ommon-cause-of-death-in-the-u-s-2019-edition/

I'm 45, trudging through the midlife crisis, and I can't always tell if something with my body is "normal" for a woman my age or if it's the beginnings of something horrible. Seems all I have to look forwards to is my body and mind deteriorating and dying a low, painful death. But what's worse is that my parents are aging as well, of course, and they're not going to be around someday, and what will I do then? My mother had told me not to worry and that it will all be worked out, but I really don't know.

But what I *do* know is that the internet is your worst enemy when it comes to looking up symptoms, real or imagined. They make every little thing sound horrible. It's never just a cold, it's a deadly strain of flu. It's never just a stomachache, it's a lethal form of food poisoning, and everything else is cancer, diabetes, or lupus. Forget it. The internet is the worst place for medical advice. I even heard an insane Reddit story about some woman whose infant had severe yellowing of the skin, and it turned out that she read on Dr. Google or whatever that you are *not* supposed to breast feed your infant or even give it formula, and she had been feeding it a mixture of cornstarch and water. Unsurprisingly, CPS was called.

"There is a myth promulgated by both quacks and academics who should know better that medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the United States. You’ll see figures of 250,000 or even 400,000 deaths each year due to medical errors, which would indeed be the third leading cause of death after heart disease (635,000/year) and cancer (598,000/year). When last I discussed this issue three years ago, specifically a rather poor study out of The Johns Hopkins that estimated that 250,000 to 400,000 deaths per year are due to medical errors, I pointed out how these figures are vastly inflated and don’t even make any sense on the surface. "

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/ar...ommon-cause-of-death-in-the-u-s-2019-edition/

Thank you @Fino but l do not have the time or mental energy at present to refute your statement but will get back to it at some point.

Reminder

I keep seeing "This Might Save Your Life" videos that tell you about different medical things that say "if [thing in your body] looks like [thing that shouldn't be there] get to the hospital immediately" and as if by coincidence a lot of it has been pointing to me:

- I keep having nosebleeds every other day, but they don't last more than a couple seconds.
- I've had a bad spell of diarrhea recently (sorry!) and while there's no blood in it, it takes a long time to...eugh, clean off, and sometimes, each time I have a movement it feels different. Sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's easy, sometimes it feels slick, etc. I apologize for being graphic.
- My doctor recently explained to me that the reason I keep fluctuating in weight is because my thyroid is slow.

All of this has me pointing to one big, scary thing that I hope I never get...

CANCER.

I know cancer has a lot of symptoms like blood in your stool, and bleeding from different places, and I do NOT want to die an early death, I'm too young and I have a career in mind. I know they say if you catch it fast enough you can get it out of your body and it won't kill you, but I still don't want it.

The doctor I have is not qualified to do checkups, she's not a family doctor, so I'll have to get her to refer me to one. So can't get a straight answer right now, which stresses me out even more. What if it's something else? The point is, I don't want to die at 23!

Please tell me everything's going to be alright...

Further replies to this thread should address the OP's concern.

I'm 45, trudging through the midlife crisis, and I can't always tell if something with my body is "normal" for a woman my age or if it's the beginnings of something horrible. Seems all I have to look forwards to is my body and mind deteriorating and dying a low, painful death. But what's worse is that my parents are aging as well, of course, and they're not going to be around someday, and what will I do then? My mother had told me not to worry and that it will all be worked out, but I really don't know.

But what I *do* know is that the internet is your worst enemy when it comes to looking up symptoms, real or imagined. They make every little thing sound horrible. It's never just a cold, it's a deadly strain of flu. It's never just a stomachache, it's a lethal form of food poisoning, and everything else is cancer, diabetes, or lupus. Forget it. The internet is the worst place for medical advice. I even heard an insane Reddit story about some woman whose infant had severe yellowing of the skin, and it turned out that she read on Dr. Google or whatever that you are *not* supposed to breast feed your infant or even give it formula, and she had been feeding it a mixture of cornstarch and water. Unsurprisingly, CPS was called.

It is not the internet that is the worst enemy regarding medical information. It is the laziness in not developing discernment, first of all in understanding how ones own body works. It is said that one who has not become their own physician by the age of 40 is a fool. It may have been Hypocritese who said it.

The more l learn about how the body works and the failings of the medical profession in understanding the role of nutrition, the less l worry about the odd symptom, most of which are of little consequence if one is not eating a crap diet of processed food.

It is called taking control of one's self and accepting responsibility.

I convinced myself I had mercury poisoning during a poor mental state once. Some of the worst 3 days I had in my life, but here I am mercury free. Also once believed I had poison running through my veins as a teenager...sure enough, I didn't. It was my imagination running wild in both cases.

You're 23 and quite a distance away from anything even close to life-threatening. If it'll sooth you, get a checkup scheduled and see what they have to say.

I sneeze a lot and my nose has a tendency to run. I don't have any other symptoms of an allergy or illness and I feel fine, but I'm sure if I looked it up on Google it would tell me I have 24 hours to live, and even worse, I should have looked it up yesterday.:confused:

Depikote (mood)
Welbutrin (also mood)
Risperidol ( again, also mood)
Adderall (VERY important, helps me focus and do things more effieciently and screw up less)
Topamax (recent, is helping with weight loss)

New Threads

Top Bottom