• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Worried about Employment Prospects post Graduation

Frostee

I Graduated in July of this year.

Regarding employment, one mistake that was not realised until June was the fact that I did not start applying to vacancies until my examinations were over. It was not emphasised to me that I needed to start applying for these positions in September of 2018, nor was the importance of a 2nd year Summer Internship - at a minimum. (Many of my Course mates have a year + in work experience related to the field. )

I'm not attributing blame to anyone here, though I am highlighting some important points that were not brought forward to me during my Final and 2nd Year of my University education that I feel may have helped with my search for employment.

At this stage, I have applied to 20 jobs. Yes, I know this is a low number but i'm struggling to find roles that suit my needs and my goals. I currently apply for around three jobs a week. Due to the lack of jobs available, I have widened my search from Meteorology to the Environmental sector.

However, I am struggling to gain any traction. Most applications that I have sent off simply don't get a response, or are rejected in a matter of days. One example that I can think of was that of an Environmental Technician position - I sent a long email with the application attached below. What have I heard? Nada. Not even a response to state that my application had been received.

Occasionally I have expanded my search even further, applying to Royal Navy and Civil Service jobs whom i'm not keen on but would do for the time being. Aside from the one failed Assessment Centre I have not got 'too' far in my job hunting.

At this point it seems that my degree is totally irrelevant, perhaps maybe it gets me 'in' to the process but no further. Given the huge competition i'm not sure what I an individual with Aspergers can really do to 'bolster' our application?

These organisations simply expect me to have gained a plethora of experience that I have not and will not be able to attain. With this being the case, I don't have a clue where to go or how to proceed at this point.

I am worried that i'm going to end up spending the next year or two repeatedly applying to vacancies, getting nowhere. I need to find something useful to do during this period - but I don't know what that could be. I'm also feeling quite deflated now about my Degree and it's usefulness (or any degree for that matter).

Last edited:
Have you had anyone look over your resume/job applications, such as someone at a writing center or other place intended to help with this sort of thing?

Have you considering volunteering or internships in order to gain more experience?

Have you ever worked a job outside your field entirely, such as retail?

I remember a time in the 90s when it was possible to just walk into a place, ask if they have vacancies and get a job on the spot. Not any more. Now you have to go through the application process even for volunteer positions... along with another 200 or so people. I don't really have any advice, except not to disclose your Asperger's because then they won't even look at your application, and to keep going and hope, because if you try you at least have a chance, but if you give up and don't apply, then it's 100% sure that you won't find a position.

I wouldn't write lengthy cover letters because they'll get to the first paragraph and not bother reading further if they don't spot what they are looking for within the first few lines. So think about which qualities and qualifications that you have which are most relevant to the position, mention them in the first few lines, and keep it brief and to the point. Remember that they have to get through hundreds of these, they all sound more or less the same, so try to make yours stand out.

Bullet points might be a good idea... they are easy to read, to the point, and you can use them to draw attention to your positive qualities and attributes. (edited)

Last edited:
Welcome to the job market! What you are describing is typical unfortunately.

Some thoughts:
Are you working a casual job in the mean time, such as retail? Because having any job at all with improve your CV.
Email companies related to your field with your CV asking if they have any opportunities for internships to gain experience. Don't expect to be paid.
I assume that you have worked with your unis career department to develop a good CV etc. but if you haven't do so.
Apply to more jobs. Don't think about your goals and needs, apply to anything even tangentially related to your field. You need to get a foot in the door before thinking about what you actually want to do.
Expect hundreds of rejections, that's the reality of the job market at the moment.

I sent a long email with the application attached below.
That is probably part of the problem, an employers who is sifting through hundreds of applications will not want to read a long email or cover letter. Keep it brief.

Don't give up. Can you go back to the University or College and see if they have internships that you could apply for? Can you apply at the school for anything to keep you afloat? Check for gov. websites, check for jobs in remote places. My ex was hired on a Navajo reservation but he was a federal employee and transferred to a great job. Sometimes you have to grovel first before you can move up. As other people have said; this is a sign of the times, less jobs, less resources, be prepared to pound the pavement, perfect your resume, perfect your job interview skills, and learn to skillfully hunt for positions. Find a backdoor into your area of knowledge.

Now you have to go through the application process even for volunteer positions... along with another 200 or so people.
Oh no. Really? I’ve been thinking about volunteering at a dog shelter. So, is it like this everywhere now with every kind of volunteer work? I’m in the UK.

Be like me and find yourself a career counselor. These people can help you with your resume, find you job ads, offer you advice. I wish you all the best.

Oh no. Really? I’ve been thinking about volunteering at a dog shelter. So, is it like this everywhere now with every kind of volunteer work? I’m in the UK.
Not necessarily. I'm not sure about dog shelters but I've done a variety of volunteering in the wildlife/conservation sectors and I've never had to do an application, just phone up and offer.
Edit: I'm in the UK too.

So I've heard from others, not from personal experience - it might not be true for every volunteering position.

Does anyone know anything about the Royal Navy? I got an opportunity to go in with them as a Meteorologist, but then didn't realise that I would be 'defending' etc.

I'm going to reject this opportunity.

New Threads

Top Bottom