• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Work.

Sypher37

V.I.P Member
So i work for a telecommunications provider and since the pandemic I have worked from home. About a year ago they asked us all to go into the office once a week. I wasn’t wanting to go, however, I managed. I tend to make conversations with people on good days, but on bad days I tend to just be severely quiet and reply with 1 word answers. I haven’t told my team or team leader that I have ASD, so they think it’s strange when I don’t act normally.

So a few weeks ago we got told that we need to go into the office for 2 days a week.

Yeah, out of my comfort zone.

I have a 5 year old and a 5 month old at home. When I work from home I love it, however, recently I’ve started to really hate it. I just can’t concentrate despite being in a room all by myself. Knowing my family are downstairs, knowing I could be enjoying time with them, instead I’ve got to sit in a room by myself and talk about the same thing for 12 hours a day (37.5 hour week).

I told my wife today that I’m really struggling to work from home as I find I’m so distracted, she was so supportive and understanding, and we both said it may be more beneficial for me to work in the office from now on but tell my team leader that I would rather sit on my own.

I would prefer doing this, but it’s going to seem really strange.

Both options are rough, either work from home and wish I was with my family and helping my wife with the kids, or go to the office and be around strangers and make 0 small talk as it makes me feel uncomfortable.

What would you guys do in this type of situation? Have I made the right choice by deciding to work in the office full time!?!?!?

I'd go into the office, if you can, every day for work- but just not schmooze.

Do your job efficiently, go above and beyond excellent customer service.

You're not paid to socialize, so if anything, I think showing yourself to be a good employee will enhance your chances of a raise. And you don't even have to talk to anyone but the customer.

That way you're not distracted by the things going on at home. And when you get home, it'll be a happy, welcome respite. Your homecomings will be celebrated by your family.

I really do like the idea of sitting on your own. I'd do it.

I'd go into the office, if you can, every day for work- but just not schmooze.

Do your job efficiently, go above and beyond excellent customer service.

You're not paid to socialize, so if anything, I think showing yourself to be a good employee will enhance your chances of a raise. And you don't even have to talk to anyone but the customer.

That way you're not distracted by the things going on at home. And when you get home, it'll be a happy, welcome respite. Your homecomings will be celebrated by your family.

I really do like the idea of sitting on your own. I'd do it.
Great advice, thank you!

I would look at it like this; if I worked at home, I would want to be with my family. And if I worked in the office I would want to be with my family. I would want to do that no matter where I worked. So I would work at home because then I would actually get to be with my family during breaks. I could put in a few hours of hard work and concentrate on that and then take a break and just walk downstairs and be with my kids. But people are different, you should do what works for you.

And maybe my family would get tired of having me around all the time :) so it would be best to go to the office.

Last edited:
I would look at it like this; if I worked at home, I would want to be with my family. And if I worked in the office I would want to be with my family. I would want to do that no matter where I worked. So I would work at home because then I would actually get to be with my family during breaks. I could put in a few hours of hard work and concentrate on that and then take a break and just walk downstairs and be with my kids. But people are different, you should do what works for you.

And maybe my family would get sick of having me around all the time :) so it would be best to go to the office.
I think in this situation it’s just difficult either one I pick. In all fairness, I know it would benefit my wife being able to use the bedroom if I’m in the office (especially getting the baby to sleep) but she hasn’t mentioned once about me going in the office full time.

Such an annoying decision to make! I just get so distracted when at work, I go on break and don’t want to go back to work as I’d obviously much prefer to be with my family!

So i work for a telecommunications provider and since the pandemic I have worked from home. About a year ago they asked us all to go into the office once a week. I wasn’t wanting to go, however, I managed. I tend to make conversations with people on good days, but on bad days I tend to just be severely quiet and reply with 1 word answers. I haven’t told my team or team leader that I have ASD, so they think it’s strange when I don’t act normally.

So a few weeks ago we got told that we need to go into the office for 2 days a week.

Yeah, out of my comfort zone.

I have a 5 year old and a 5 month old at home. When I work from home I love it, however, recently I’ve started to really hate it. I just can’t concentrate despite being in a room all by myself. Knowing my family are downstairs, knowing I could be enjoying time with them, instead I’ve got to sit in a room by myself and talk about the same thing for 12 hours a day (37.5 hour week).

I told my wife today that I’m really struggling to work from home as I find I’m so distracted, she was so supportive and understanding, and we both said it may be more beneficial for me to work in the office from now on but tell my team leader that I would rather sit on my own.

I would prefer doing this, but it’s going to seem really strange.

Both options are rough, either work from home and wish I was with my family and helping my wife with the kids, or go to the office and be around strangers and make 0 small talk as it makes me feel uncomfortable.

What would you guys do in this type of situation? Have I made the right choice by deciding to work in the office full time!?!?!?
I don't know what you should do. It seems like honesty would be the best. I let everybody know what's going on with me and so they can hopefully understand. Most people are cool but some are not.

Such an annoying decision to make! I just get so distracted when at work, I go on break and don’t want to go back to work as I’d obviously much prefer to be with my family!

Yeah I understand. But that's one of those moments when you have to focus and be determined I guess. When you think about rather wanting to be with you family than working. I'm guessing a big reason why you work, is them. Doing it for them. But I can see why you get distracted.

New Threads

Top Bottom