• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Words that you thought you knew the meaning of?

In Nova Scotia we have a lot of funny-phrases and sayings due to many of us having a Scottish/Irish accent, not unlike Newfoundland. But it wasn't until I was an adult that I finally started to understand them:

"Jeet jet?" "Twirly". = "Did you eat yet?" "No, it is too early."

"Howshe goin', bye?" "Good dear, good." = How are you today, sir? I am fine, thank you.

"Oh me nerves!" = Exclamation made by someone who is aggravated, annoyed, or shocked. I don't hear this one much now, though.

Biff = "Biff" means to throw something in an aggressive or violent fashion. I've noticed that many big-muscled but small-brained bully characters in cartoons and comics are named Biff.

Maul = "Maul" means to be overly affectionate or roughly handle a small animal, e.g. "Bobby stop mauling the puppy!" Elsewhere it normally means to be viciously attacked by a large, ferocious animal, such as a bear.

Cousint = Literally, it simply means cousin. But it may be a term for someone the person knows well but, they're not actually cousins and may even be related at all. Maybe it should be spelled "cousin't", like two people who are so close it's like they cousins, but they aren't.

New Threads

Top Bottom