• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Windows 12 "Next Valley" To Be Released 2024?

Judge

V.I.P Member
Seems there are any number of rumors being circulated on YouTube about this. Take your pick. Supposedly based on Intel leaking it inadvertently. Or not...lol.

Yet if it is true, it would confirm what I've posted about for some time regarding Windows 11. That it will be placed on the trash heap of previous Microsoft operating systems such as Windows ME, Windows Vista and Windows 8. Signalling that Windows 11 as having the shortest duration of any of their operating systems to date.

-More incentive to simply skip Windows 11 entirely.

Though another big story is that Microsoft is also intending for Windows 12 to be "AI intensive". Making me wonder all over again if Microsoft will again force us to buy new computers just to accommodate another of their operating systems. A few rumor-mongers are suggesting that this time around Microsoft might relax their hardware requirements and do away with needing Secure Boot, Trusted Platform Module and a recent generation of CPU. -But I'm not buying that.

Meanwhile we seem to be on an economic precipice where none of this may matter if the economy implodes. I'm just glad I have a free backstop in all of this known as Linux Mint 21.1 (Cinnamon). Which is supported all the way to 2027.

I'm guessing they had to quickly move on to 12 because of the AI competition. Someone released this AI stuff to the public so suddenly all the big companies are in a rush, terrified that they will be to slow and left behind and lose money.

I'm guessing they had to quickly move on to 12 because of the AI competition. Someone released this AI stuff to the public so suddenly all the big companies are in a rush, terrified that they will be to slow and left behind and lose money.

That's an interesting thought if true. Which might reflect the possibility that AI might be the one catalyst in the industry that could eventually erode Microsoft's near-monopoly as a dominate operating system. Especially given their failures of the present and past. Then again, an overly-ambitious Microsoft in a hurry might also spell disaster all over again for them.

I know Apple hasn't been silent on this issue as well.

Seems more of an uphill battle for Linux though.

Last edited:
I had to use Windows 11 because it was required to interact with the state programs. But I am retired now!!! I don't have to use Windows.

I am thinking of changing to Linux as soon as I get my act together on this retirement stuff which is harder than it looks. At least for me.

Feh. Just.... feh.

Same view from me on this topic as always... real freaking tired of Windows, but I cant really use the other options.

Maybe 12 will be a little less annoying? Or not.

Now you'll have to watch an add before opening any program and 99% of all settings will be unable to be changed. The remaining 1% will be constantly changed back with every new update.

I don't like having to have a windows account to have to use windows. I did figure out that I could log back out and be offline only the whole time. I did figure out how to turn off the stupid cloud all of the time. Still, it was annoying and almost ruined a lot of sound editing files that I was in the middle of.

I see it from another perspective. China, Russia and all the other non USA friendly countries cant allow themselves to depend on Windows or Android.

Those OS are a win button for USA in case of war. They can sut down almost every company computer and personal phone.

Thats the main reason I think linux will become stronger and a true alternative to Windows.

Thats the main reason I think linux will become stronger and a true alternative to Windows.
People have been saying this for probably decades at this point.

It hasn't happened yet and it won't happen now.

At most you might see governments moving away from Windows in favor of Linux distros but you're not gonna see the average person in any of these countries moving away from Windows (or MacOS).

Ubuntu 22.04.2 is working pretty good for me, with one or two very notable exceptions.

Still using Win7 on this one. I wish they could have simply continued security updates for it.
My other one is Win10, and it is a bit annoying.
I guess my favorite Win OS is Windows 2000....

One thing I'm pondering now is whether or not Microsoft will formally address the "workarounds" available online in circumventing Windows 11 requirements when it comes to the generation of CPU, Trusted Platform Module (TPM) and Secure Boot functions. Otherwise there are clear, but cumbersome ways to alter these concerns to allow most any computer to run Windows 11. I used to just assume that at some point Microsoft could easily implement some update to keep such modifications from working, or to keep updates from occurring if they detected such changes in the registry. But if it becomes so apparent that this version of Windows is to be superseded by another, why even bother? Especially if Microsoft decides to make the life cycle of Windows 11 the shortest in their history.

I do find it continually amusing to know that really bad versions of Windows are usually followed by much better ones. So if I were to build another Windows computer it may also be prudent to just wait it out and see what the requirements of Windows 12 will be. Though I'm not holding my breath when it comes to these lame, alleged security requirements regarding secure boot, TPM and whatever generation CPU one has. Just gimmicks to force us to buy or build new systems using the most current technology.

Meanwhile my ten year old computer and third-generation CPU continues to run Linux Mint 21.1 just great. In particular Wine 8.0.1 allows me to run a 1998 version of Photoshop 5.5 better than it runs in Windows 10. However it took some work to get it all running like this. So I can't undersell that aspect of Linux if and when you want to run an older system with their software. That it takes work on your part to make it all happen. Though I'd love to see how well Linux distros can operate out of the box with relatively new computers.

I'm just glad that I have an alternative to Windows when Windows 10 is no longer supported in October, 2025. Though at this point the only time I really use Windows 10 is to print something in color or just update the OS. Otherwise I use Linux Mint 21.1 pretty much all the time now.

Yet it might be nice if technology like "artificial intelligence" can once and for all cure Microsoft's penchant for mediocrity and stupidity when it comes to their latest operating systems. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Supporting older CPU's and ditching the stupid hardware requirements would half persuade me to upgrade from 10. The other half would be the ability to un-group taskbar icons and labels.

Oh, and throw the AI in the bin. No thank you very much!

Supporting older CPU's and ditching the stupid hardware requirements would half persuade me to upgrade from 10. The other half would be the ability to un-group taskbar icons and labels.

Oh, and throw the AI in the bin. No thank you very much!
So have you taken the plunge when it comes to Linux ?

Then again another two years is plenty of time to ponder such things.

If I say no am I in trouble? ;)

LOL. Not for another two years plus at least. After that, running an unsupported OS is a crapshoot in terms of whether you avoid "trouble" or it finds you first.

And there's still Mac...if you prefer another proprietary operating system. Though a lot of folks feel that Linux has surpassed it in the last few years. I do feel more comfortable running an open source OS that is updated and improved far more frequently than any proprietary system subject to the scrutiny of their pissy shareholders.

At least Microsoft can't put us all in a corner whether they think so or not. :cool:

Last edited:
Hopefully Windows 12 follows Microsft's pattern of alternating good and bad OS's: I've been lucky and have managed to prevent Windows 11 installing on my personal machine, but had the misfortune of having Windows 11 forced on me at work...

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Win12 do away with local accounts altogether, though, and force users to have Microsoft accounts in order to be able to use it.

HI @Judge

Is it still your opinion to skip Windows 11?
I have a new computer that is running Windows 10 and it now wants to update to W11, but I am not sure.
Take it from me, don't! It's sluggish especially on supposed compatible hardware. It also has an annoying bug with the start menu that Microsoft has yet to fix.

New Threads

Top Bottom