• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why is it common for people with Asperger’s/HFA to have higher-than-average IQs?

Mark Smith

Just wondering is it is a well-known fact that Aspie traits are common within people in science and engineering fields.

As far as HFAs and High IQs, it depends on which study you look at and they vary greatly as far as results and conclusions. Just do a search on the subject and you will see what I mean. But even with the ones that support the theory the actual statistical differences between NT and ASD are slight. In other studies the differences are insignificant or go the other way.

Probably the best conclusion I have read is that in the current state of testing the results are unreliable.

Possibly because one of the requirements for a diagnosis of Asperger's (HFA in research just means autims with an IQ above the cut-off for intellectual disability) is an average or above-average IQ.

I read recently that most women with disorder have slightly less IQ (i.e: below average or average) as they typically have some sort of LD as well. (source: Aspergirls)

There was a recently a thread about IQ tests where people talked about the problems that someone on the spectrum might have with taking the official tests, and coupled with the problems and inaccuracies in IQ testing in general, I think it would be hard to answer whether such a claim has basis or not. There can be a lot of things that might affect your ability to get accurate test results, at the end of the day an IQ test is primarily only good at measuring how good you are at taking an IQ test ;) . This coming from someone who has actually been extremely successful in standardized tests.

But I think you are correct in that, whether for better or for worse, such a stereotype might exist in certain fields. I know that some big name companies (like Google) specifically have programs where they actively seek out and recruit Aspies because they believe there is a lot of undiscovered potential there. These companies are almost all programming/tech/engineering related. It's kinda awkward for me since although I maybe fit into this category, my talents are actually in the exact opposite field (verbal reasoning/critical analysis).

TL;DR I wouldn't generalize and say high IQ is common among Aspies, but I certainly think there is a lot of very intelligent and interesting Aspies out there :) . IQ is by far not the sole determining factor in what intelligence and cleverness is, and people can still be smart and interesting even if their official "IQ" isn't high.

Just wondering is it is a well-known fact that Aspie traits are common within people in science and engineering fields.

I think it is a common misconception that to shine in science, engineering or perhaps technology, an individual would have to be highly intelligent, thus above average IQ. However, I doubt very much that this is why Aspies tend to demonstrate excellence in these fields.

What I think is the cause is nothing much more than the tendency for Aspies to be very detail-oriented and committed to what we do, and to only get into something because we mean to do it as well as it can be done.

It doesn't take high IQ to achieve in technical fields, just some intelligence, alongside a lot of dedication to the task.

It's because contrary to popular belief, Autistic people are NOT retarded.

I've been called that and worse on various forums over the years.

Some aspies tend to be great in detail oriented fields since we are very sensitive and can detect certain things that NT's may brush over w/out even noticing anything. Many of us are rejected from exploring the social world so we have a lot more time to develop our intellectual side. Maybe that has something to do with the intelligence piece. But that may not happen either if we are bullied to the extreme or don't receive enough positive feedback in school from teachers and other authority figures like parents.

Some aspies tend to be great in detail oriented fields since we are very sensitive and can detect certain things that NT's may brush over w/out even noticing anything. Many of us are rejected from exploring the social world so we have a lot more time to develop our intellectual side. Maybe that has something to do with the intelligence piece. But that may not happen either if we are bullied to the extreme or don't receive enough positive feedback in school from teachers and other authority figures like parents.
I thought I was real stupid because I’d didn’t do well in school growing up and people implied I was lazy or stupid. Then I studied Ancient Greek language as an adult at a college. Had a full class. Second week all dropped but 8. I took it two years with only one other student and did ok. The other student already knew a second language and
I did not. Then I knew I was not stupid.

Think of all the many, many people, who have never been in those research groups, who probably have never heard of Asperger's or ASD, all ages, and those who have passed on already. When I started researching this, I really think one whole side of my family has it to varying degrees, some maybe with not enough symptoms to qualify, and some with lots. There's many folks out there who could be.

There are so many subjective symptoms that I’m starting to think everyone is an Aspie. Most people have issues but a few people are very good at masking or have very fast sharp brains and seem to be in control of everything they say. They baffle me,

By no means an expert or anything but I expect it is a consequence of having above average IQ that is the difference between HFA and other forms of autism, i.e. it is the extra intelligence that compensates for some of the more severe autistic traits.

In other words if we didn't have a high IQ we probably wouldn't be considered high functioning.

Imagine for example there were two races of people, the majority tall, weak and thin skinned, the others short and strong and thick skinned.
If some of the short people were above average (short)height they would then perhaps "pass" as a member of the tall race, but their thicker skins would on closer inspection reveal that they are really members of the short race.

(No offence intended to tall, short, strong, weak people and I don't class NTs and NDs as being seperate races it's just an analogy)

Also autistic traits have advantages as well as disadvantages, perhaps some autistic traits lead to higher scores on IQ tests

(As to what defines average or above average IQ is another question!)

It's because contrary to popular belief, Autistic people are NOT retarded.

I've been called that and worse on various forums over the years.
Retarded just means some parts of thinking are slower than others. NT’s have a little retardation. I don’t think any human being functions 100% every moment of every day. It is just that NT’s are not as altruistic and transparent like an Aspie. They have many faults that they hide and lie about. They are too busy being competitive and exclusive. Condemning, judging, excluding, isn’t usually something on an Aspie’s radar. I’m not saying all NT’s are like this but some are. If an Aspie does do those things it is out of hurt and pain not superiority. You seem fine to me. You communicate well. Just find something you enjoy and do not compare yourself to them. Whoever them might turn out to be. Do you ever write stories or poetry? You seem to be linguistic.

I find that the questions on an IQ test seem to be geared toward my style of problem solving. I think I'm a lot more intelligent than most people, but I think my IQ scores might be several points higher than my intelligence really is. I get around 140, but I might realistically be more like 120-130 if IQ actually measured intelligence.

But you can't really measure intelligence because there's so many different ways you can approach problems. There will always be different kinds of intelligence which will be better at some problems and worse at others. The best we can do I suppose is to broaden the test questions to cover as many types of intelligence as we can find.

But you can't really measure intelligence because there's so many different ways you can approach problems. There will always be different kinds of intelligence which will be better at some problems and worse at others. The best we can do I suppose is to broaden the test questions to cover as many types of intelligence as we can find.

Science and engineering fields are more black and white and logical thinking, which is what aspies seem to be best at.

IQ, I agree with the quote. I've been told I have an IQ in the top 5% of the population. But I take that with a grain of salt. I think (unless your brain has a defect or injury) that people are generally about the same in smarts, just distributed in different ways. I do excellent with mechanical things and many people have called me the smartest person they know, but on the flip side I lack the ability to negotiate the world unless things are cut and dried. Criminals are smart in their own ways. And I know plenty who do horrible on IQ tests but blow me away when it comes to playing the system, reading and manipulating people, etc., getting what they want so easily. And the "idiot savant" is no idiot because to make up for the lack of worldly skill or self suffiency, some of the talents they have are more than most people could dream of doing.

I have never taken a formal IQ test and don't know what my score is, but I'm sure that I'm of at least average intelligence. People tell me that I'm intelligent. I work slowly, but accurately, which means that if I took an IQ test, I probably wouldn't do that well because it is timed and I would run out of time not having answered all of the questions. This does not mean that my intelligence is low, after all, I have a Master's degree so I'm sure it can't be.

I have known people who are obviously very intelligent obtain a low score on IQ tests simply because the IQ test isn't geared to their way of thinking or operating, and I don't think that the IQ test is a fair and accurate way to measure intelligence. It doesn't give an overall practical picture of how the person is in real life, and how the person deals with real life situations, and with what outcome.

They give you quite a lot of time on an IQ test. I'm a very slow test taker and yet on the Mensa practice test I was easily able to finish within the time allotted.

Communication issues are an extra challenge for every 2 standard deviations (Hah!, like communication issues is something new for HFA). I may not have found out my score if I didn't come to a point where I could not handle functioning as an NT anymore, with even less people that I have compatible communication with. Maybe more people with HFA that struggle get tested. There are many undiagnosed, that have learned how to mask and communicate to a level that makes life manageable (maybe an unconscious process). Maybe they are socially compatible with more people, IQ spectrum-wise. I don't know.

If I could, I would gladly lose a few standard deviations. I would rather have trust, love and companionship than fear, ridicule or envy.

...Wow, I can hardly fathom how pretentious that sounded. Now, I shall go away in shame, and explore* more of my Aspie Superpowers, without trying to impress anyone with my Awesome Intelect :p

*explore/rediscover, find my motivation for being, regulate input, allow myself to stim, and see if it helps limit my chronic pains to a degree that I can participate in society in some kind of work situation, and if that fails, try to accept myself anyway, be nice to everyone I meet and just be human.
Edit: removed a sentence that didn't feel right

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom