• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

why does it matter that i repeat stuff

Constant threads from the same person buries other people's threads and also makes someone seem like they are spamming a website. I have autism too, but I try to restrain myself a little more.

It may help to set a reminder to yourself, to check and see if you already made some topics recently.

When you're on the main page of the site, you can look on the right and see a list of the most recently made topics. If you already have one or two of your own topics still listed there... dont make another. I think that's a fairly good rule to stick to.

It's fine to repeat yourself.... in direct conversation. Indeed, as you say, some of us just cant help it. Heck, I do it. I might say something, and then say it again like 20 seconds later, because I cant remember that I already said it. But that's offline, in actual direct talking with people. Forums are very different, as they are indirect, a single conversation taking place over many hours or even a few days. Many forums actually enforce rules about topic creation frequency for any given user.

But also, forums usually have defensive measures in place to protect against bots, and if those defenses spot rapid topics coming from one single account, they may activate and do something against that account. You definitely dont want that.

Honestly, just set some reminders for yourself. Based on stuff I've seen you post it sounds like you have a bad memory, just as I do. I know it's frustrating and not easy to deal with, but it's something we gotta work on anyway.

I repeat myself all the time. I find it comforting in a way. Talking about something I know. Tried and tested so to speak.

Ed

In conversation I know I have a habit of repeating something and I've had a couple of people tell me
I've already said that.
Memory along with emphasis I think.

I repeat myself, usually rehearsing what I will say at times in my mind. Like a practice run.

I find that fairly common here. But if you think about it, if something is always there in our mind, it's natural it's going to come up often. And there have been times I would have a new question but it's about a particular subject that was previously posted and the question is sent to that old post and no one new sees it to give me an answer or opinion on it because it's an old thread.

why does it matter that i repeat stuff i have autism its common too repeat stuff
I would say here as in life to think about others first,
There are lots of instances where "I have xyz" could be used as an excuse, "Im a fighter so its ok for me to punch people", "I've a crap job so it's OK if I steal this", "I'm not feeling well so it's OK fo rme to shout and be rube to people around me".
I often repeat words and conversations in my head, if I started saying that stuff out loud it would just annoy everyone else.

I agree with @Pats I enjoyed your posts but self control is a really good life lesson you can practice here, if you stumble we'll forgive it.
Listen to the admins, chill and enjoy your stay.

I would say here as in life to think about others first,
There are lots of instances where "I have xyz" could be used as an excuse, "Im a fighter so its ok for me to punch people", "I've a crap job so it's OK if I steal this", "I'm not feeling well so it's OK fo rme to shout and be rube to people around me".
I often repeat words and conversations in my head, if I started saying that stuff out loud it would just annoy everyone else.

I agree with @Pats I enjoyed your posts but self control is a really good life lesson you can practice here, if you stumble we'll forgive it.
Listen to the admins, chill and enjoy your stay.
happy birthday WoodworkingJoel

No one else around here seems to post the same things over and over several times in a row. How do we know Mike isn't doing it to be a troll?

No one else around here seems to post the same things over and over several times in a row. How do we know Mike isn't doing it to be a troll?

Stick around the internet for 25 bloody years and you get used to spotting the signs of a troll, VS someone that isnt quite understanding internet protocol. Besides, he stopped the moment it was pointed out.

I'm actually kinda surprised we havent seen MORE users that do this on this site. It's been relatively common on every autism-related place I've been to aside from this one.

I'd make it a rule to create just 1-3 threads a week on different subjects. Decide what interests you most that week and take it from there. This is a welcoming atmosphere for all of us and it should be, I think you'd get more of a response to your threads if you approached thread creation that way.

New Threads

Top Bottom