• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

why do people use this term?

Is it just me or do you also find the term Tragedy to be a bit confusing. Wiki says it has to do with Greek drama and is the opposite of comedy. Do people who use this term even know anything about Greek drama? Perhaps I am very bad at terminology from Greek drama and should know more about this? Or do people use words they don't even understand themselves?
They use it in the modern sense ,language changes especially modern english,it depends on your experience, tragedy to me is 99% of livings beings dying ,not so much if :a video game is out of production or if someone's child can't impinge on my sanity.

When I was in school I was taught that in theater, a tragedy is a serious play in which the main character comes to grief, while a comedy is a less serious play where things work out successfully for the main character. But most people just call something very sad or frightening a tragedy, like when the Titanic sank or when a child dies in an accident.

Yeah, language changes all the time and the same word can even have different meanings in different contexts (see: "theory").

Even if people just use the wrong word, it doesn't benefit you to be THAT person who's busy correcting everyone instead of responding to what they're trying to say.

To put it simply: Language evolves and changes over time. It's just part of how it works. Whether people like it or not, that's how it goes.

Maddening, but it's a dynamic that politicians and diplomats seem to relish.

That's because it allows them to give non-answers. So they can SOUND like they're giving a sincere answer and being respectful, but in reality, they're avoiding saying something because a truthful answer would land them in hot water. Corporate goons do it a lot as well. It is, in fact, often referred to as "corporate speak".

The meaning of words evolve. NTs are usually good at following what is trending. Plus, they are good at using context to piece together a meaning when a word is used in a nonstandard application. Those are weak spots for many NDs.

I often hear words that have a meaning different to what I would think of.
I think this is mostly that 'trending' talk that was spoken of.

Not so much overthinking, just not up on what the latest meaning of what some word may mean.
It happens all the time with my house share partner. He uses words in a context that doesn't
even fit the sentence.

One example tonight was: " I gave him a solid."
A solid what? Most times I don't even ask when a word is used in a way I don't comprehend.

One example tonight was: " I gave him a solid."
A solid what? Most times I don't even ask when a word is used in a way I don't comprehend.
Lol. Normally one says 'I did him a solid'. It means I did him a favour. Sayings like this I come across in fiction. I'm not around anyone who uses language like that. And of those who do, they are influenced by fiction and incorporate it because it sounds good.

In London, east end especially, they still speak cockney. I used to be around that sort of speak when I was younger...
Put on me whistle and flute...means....put on my suit
Then it gets abbreviated to 'put on me whistle'. They don't bother with the last bit. People have a whole conversation in this way.

Where's the dog (dog and bone...phone)? It's up the apples (apples and pears...stairs). It feels like you're a part of some exclusive club if you use it or understand it. It was what being around NT's for me was often like.

I feel kind of bad because my generation pretty much ruined the word "awesome".:oops: Awesome was originally someone or something of such immense power, size or strength that you couldn't help but stare in awe. Now it could be anything someone likes: "Hey, can I have some of your pizza?" "Sure, go right ahead." "Awesome!":D

evet generation has slang terms, which slowly fad with time as they become dated when is the last time you heard a woman called a broad, a lady now would offended. as it now means thick, wide as it always did before it turned into slang.

When my son was two I served him an omelete.

Son - "What's that?"
Me - "That's an omelete."
Son -"No, that's a tragedy."
:p:p:p

It is a good description of the word in use as my cooking is not very good!

I feel kind of bad because my generation pretty much ruined the word "awesome".:oops: Awesome was originally someone or something of such immense power, size or strength that you couldn't help but stare in awe. Now it could be anything someone likes: "Hey, can I have some of your pizza?" "Sure, go right ahead." "Awesome!":D

Similary the word "terrific" has lost its meaning. It originally was a vernacular expression to denote terror. "The war was terrific". Quite a different meaning from today no?

The word "awesome" has become rather overused and fake.
I've noticed that for several years and it seems especially overdone in restaurants by the waitresses.
When you order, the reply is always "Awesome!".
They run by your table and ask how everything is. I answer, very good. "Awesome!"
When they seem to look at your table as if you are taking too long to finish eating,
then it is, " can I take your plate or are you still working on it?"
Working on it... what am I doing to it? If I'm working on it maybe you should paying ME!
Wouldn't that be "Awesome?"

I've often wondered if those phrases are taught to them as a part of being hired as a waitress.

It seema the word, “perfect,” has also become one of the over-used words. It is also mis-used. Often, instead of a simple “thank you,” from check-out workers, waiters, bank clerks, etc., they tell me that my action has been perfect.
When, for example I tap my debit card on the card reader: in fact there is no reason to assess and then inform me that the action is in their opinion, “perfect.” They’re not judges or coaches.
It s as though I am then expected to say, “thank you,” for their having said “perfext.”

New Threads

Top Bottom