• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do people hate snobs?

Probably it's more that people don't like feeling/thinking that someone is "looking down" on them or being condescending towards them.

Considering I run into definitions of the word that define being a snob with being condescending towards others (obviously the ones that are considered a lower class than him/herself) to me it seems like a good reason why people don't like snobs and snobbery.

I'm however not to sure if being a snob is something you can label yourself, rather than someone labelling you a snob because of the way you act. If you tend to call yourself a snob, you can just as well call yourself "stuck up".

I was labeled a snob in school because I believed in actually doing the work teachers would give me and not letting anyone copy my work. I suppose it didn't help that I was identified as a "gifted" student. Some people probably resented me for that.

I was labeled a snob in school because I believed in actually doing the work teachers would give me and not letting anyone copy my work. I suppose it didn't help that I was identified as a "gifted" student. Some people probably resented me for that.

I can't help but be amused by this, over the fact that other students clearly didn't do their homework since their definition of "a snob" doesn't qualify here.

But I guess that's what gets me anyway at times. People can label me what they want, but at least make it a correct label and not something that might be what you think it is... the entry for "snob" isn't that ambiguous

I actually ran into that kind of prejudice as an adult at work. We had an underwriting manager who believed in publicly posting our productivity and fiscal efficiency. In this context I did my job and did it well. I had nothing to apologize for. This was work...yet some immature people took it as if I was spoiling a "class curve"...lol. Geez...resentment takes all kinds of forms. :rolleyes:

As for real class resentment, I can't say I ever observed it one way or another...but then I can't say I ever lived a life in "first class" either....

Last edited:
I can't help but be amused by this, over the fact that other students clearly didn't do their homework since their definition of "a snob" doesn't qualify here.

But I guess that's what gets me anyway at times. People can label me what they want, but at least make it a correct label and not something that might be what you think it is... the entry for "snob" isn't that ambiguous
Well, I didn't act very friendly towards the kids who were either trying to copy me or ask me to do their homework for them. I suppose they thought I looked down on them because I thought I was more intelligent.

I was just sick of being used and abused after I offered to help other students understand how to do homework rather than doing it for them . . . :(

I could see Aspies being mislabeled as such for just not being social enough to suit others.

Actually, I don't hate snobs. That's because they're being real. It's the overly friendly people that I worry about being phony (hey, personal experience!).

I refuse to associate with them.

It has been said of me at times that I fall into the "doesn't gladly suffer fools" category. I guess that's sort of snobby.

I hate snobs because the essence of it is that they think they are better than you. Snobs are judgmental and condescending, especially (as I've seen) when it relates to material wealth and goods. Like upper-class ladies who sneer at "poor" people, for example, or rich old white men who sneer at working-class mothers of color. That sort of stuff. Snobs feel like you just don't work hard enough, or take as much pride in your appearance, etc, or else you could be at least somewhat close to where they are in society (or think they are).

I HATE it when people judge other people (especially based on petty crap), and I also hate it when people condescend.

Note: Being honest about what you do, and being good at that, is not the same as being a snob, although with ASDs I can see why people would mistake things and think people are snobs who are not. They assume you have the same intentions as a snob (of being judgmental and thinking you're better than them) when you don't have these intentions at all. I find this a puzzling flaw in human nature. I still don't understand people who do things like this, and then treat you as if their assessment of you is correct, when it's not like they ever actually asked you, or interacted with you to find out if they were right, etc.

I face many snobs at work. You know, the ones that lower their head rather than speak to you. Or never make eye contact, even when you say good morning, and they keep walking without a word. At some point in time, everyone of them, has gotta come through me. Funny how it improves their attitude. At the end of the day, their snobbery, puts them on the bottom of my priorities

I face many snobs at work. You know, the ones that lower their head rather than speak to you. Or never make eye contact, even when you say good morning, and they keep walking without a word. At some point in time, everyone of them, has gotta come through me. Funny how it improves their attitude. At the end of the day, their snobbery, puts them on the bottom of my priorities

I have done both of these things out of shyness, especially in the past... you can't assume that such behavior has only one cause, that cause being snobbery. This is exactly what I meant about when people decide someone else is a snob without knowing the full story.

I have done both of these things out of shyness, especially in the past... you can't assume that such behavior has only one cause, that cause being snobbery. This is exactly what I meant about when people decide someone else is a snob without knowing the full story.
As an Aspie, I well versed in spotting shyness or nervousness. This "assumption " was not concluded, by one off meetings. I of all people, am well aware that my own Aspergers could be seen as snobbery, which is why these judgements were not made lightly. These people have no communication issues whatsoever, when they want something and regularly acknowledge others, of their own standing. Cant really think of anything that relates more closely to snobbery, than this

As an Aspie, I well versed in spotting shyness or nervousness. This "assumption " was not concluded, by one off meetings. I of all people, am well aware that my own Aspergers could be seen as snobbery, which is why these judgements were not made lightly. These people have no communication issues whatsoever, when they want something and regularly acknowledge others, of their own standing. Cant really think of anything that relates more closely to snobbery, than this

Ah, okay. That makes more sense then. I guess I'm sensitive to that because I seem "normal" as well, but the truth is that I get very afraid sometimes and very antisocial at other times. I've become used to saying hi and smiling when others greet me, though. (And I do mean it -- it's just that I had to learn the behavior. It was never intuitive for me.)

Ah, okay. That makes more sense then. I guess I'm sensitive to that because I seem "normal" as well, but the truth is that I get very afraid sometimes and very antisocial at other times. I've become used to saying hi and smiling when others greet me, though. (And I do mean it -- it's just that I had to learn the behavior. It was never intuitive for me.)
I suffer from the same shyness. I make a conscious effort to force myself to say hello to everyone I pass, at work. Its far from easy and it causes me much distress. To have someone blatantly turn or look away, in making those attemps, almost sends me to meltdown. If my worst enemy said hello, I would still offer acknowledgment. But yeah I try not to jump to judgment without making certain observations. That happens often enough to me.

I suffer from the same shyness. I make a conscious effort to force myself to say hello to everyone I pass, at work. Its far from easy and it causes me much distress. To have someone blatantly turn or look away, in making those attempts, almost sends me to meltdown. If my worst enemy said hello, I would still offer acknowledgment. But yeah I try not to jump to judgment without making certain observations. That happens often enough to me.
Lol... okay, I wouldn't go so far as to say hello to an enemy. They would get a look, maybe a nod. But I doubt I'd be able to hide my true feelings from my eyes/expression, nor would I want to if I really hated someone that much. Of course, in a job situation, I would pretend I was at least okay with everyone even if I wasn't, unless something could actually be done to change the situation. Not gonna stir up drama when I don't need to. (I HATE conflict.)

New Threads

Top Bottom