• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why Disney movies suck(And not for the reason you think)

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
I hate Disney movies and I think they are awful.

You are probably saying "Animation can be appreciated by people of all ages! It's not just for kids!"

You are absolutely correct and I agree with you completely. But that's not why I hate them.

I hate them because of the idiotically idealistic morals these films preach. How they always gives the protagonist a happy ending where they live "happily ever after" and all is well.

I have not ever seen anything more delusional and untrue to real life than this.

In real life you do not live happily ever after with your lover. In real life you two get sick of each other and fight all the time after you two have a kid and your relationship becomes verbally, if not physically abusive and you will get a divorce assuming one of you haven't murdered each other and your child in drunken rage over an argument while you two were screaming at each other. And you will begin to only see your child on the weekends but only if you're lucky enough to have your lover get full custody of your child. You will proceed to live the rest of your live in a state of depression while you work at a dead end [the swear word that means poop] job until the day you die alone with no one ever caring about you. So much for "happily ever after".

I hate Disney movies because they deceive children that this will not happen and there will be "a happy ending".

Children should be taught the cold, hard truth of the real world as soon as possible so they don't have unrealistic expectations. I hate society insists on feeding children these lies and making them disappointed when they grow and realize it was all bull[swear word that means poop]. They deserve the truth no matter how evil it is. Honesty is the best policy.

If Disney movies depicted a more realistic outcome for the protagonists of their stories then maybe I could respect them but as it stands I just find immoral and disgusting.

If Beauty and the Beast was real, The Beast would rape and beat Belle multiple times until she decided to kill herself or The Beast kills her in a fit of rage.

If Frozen was real then Elsa would have been tracked down and found by the citizens of Arendelle and be executed by being burnt at the stake for being a witch and a homosexual.

Anyone else here agree with me?

Last edited by a moderator:
I see your point, but it misses the purpose of Disney films and the like. They are an escape from the harsh realities of the world. There are stories of all different types and people need hopeful, aspirational films & books to give them a reason to carry on sometimes.

It can be said of most stories. In the "real world" rookie X-Wing pilot Luke Skywalker would have been shot down by the first highly trained, professional TIE-Fighter pilot he engaged with and Yavin IV blown to smithereens.

Disney movies are there to teach kids how to aspire to something greater, to persevere and see things through to the end. They have their place.

Disney films, like all films, are an escape. If they reflected reality they would be boring and no one would watch them. All children's films are unrealistically happy and hopeful, not just Disney. Pretty much all films have some form of happy ending, even most horror films have the protagonist getting away alive, that's how these things work.

If you want 'reality', read the original fairy tails. They are depressing. Which is why no one would ever watch a film which accurately follows the story.

Also, there is no reason to think that the Beast would be a rapist or abuser. Beauty and the Beast is actually kind of realistic in a way; the kindly treated kidnapped woman succumbing to Stockholm Syndrome and falling in love with her captor is actually how it would likely go in 'real life'.

Your idea of a typical romantic relationship is actually just as skewed as Disneys portrayal of them. Not all relationships end in divorce, very few relationships become abusive, and very few people spend the rest of their lives depressed after a failed relationship. If you work hard at a relationship it is perfectly possible to be happy together with the right person for the rest of your life.

I hate them because of the idiotically idealistic morals these films preach. How they always gives the protagonist a happy ending where they live "happily ever after" and all is well.

I have not ever seen anything more delusional and untrue to real life than this.

In real life you do not live happily ever after with your lover.
I never liked Disney, or any of these idealistic feelgood movies for this very reason, though I do appreciate @Autistamatic 's point that this is not what Disney is all about. I think it's a matter of taste and personality - I prefer so see how things really are and not have everything idealised and glossed over. As New Model Army say in their song "Stupid Questions", when someone comes to eat me alive, I like to see their teeth. Even within the fantasy and science fiction I do read/watch, there is often a darker element to it, a warning, twist or a mixed outcome.

I never liked Disney, or any of these idealistic feelgood movies for this very reason, though I do appreciate @Autistamatic 's point that this is not what Disney is all about. I think it's a matter of taste and personality - I prefer so see how things really are and not have everything idealised and glossed over. As New Model Army say in their song "Stupid Questions", when someone comes to eat me alive, I like to see their teeth. Even within the fantasy and science fiction I do read/watch, there is often a darker element to it, a warning, twist or a mixed outcome.

Blimey! That's the first time I've come across someone who's even heard of New Model Army in a very long time, let alone quoted their lyrics :smilingimp:

We have similar tastes in fiction as we've discovered previously and it's probably why the whole Disney thing has never grabbed me. There is definitely a place for it though. I started reading adult Sci-Fi when I was about 8 yrs old and never stopped. The more complex a tale and the more relevant it is to the real world, the better I enjoy it. From the 20th century classics like Asimov, Pohl, Clarke, Aldiss, Bear & Haldeman, to contemporary greats like Banks, Asher and Hamilton, I love a visceral SciFi epic, especially when grounded in hard or speculative science.
On the other hand, every night before we go to bed, my wife & I put a short, feel good comedy on to round off the night. Right now we're watching the 80s sitcom "The Golden Girls". It's 20 odd minutes of schmaltzy, tepid comedy that always has a happy ending, so it's a good way of shutting down the brain before bed :)

Blimey! That's the first time I've come across someone who's even heard of New Model Army in a very long time, let alone quoted their lyrics :smilingimp:
Yes, I love Justin Sullivan's straight-up-front, no-BS lyrics. I love Skyclad, who have a similar lyrical style, for the same reason.
I started reading adult Sci-Fi when I was about 8 yrs old and never stopped. The more complex a tale and the more relevant it is to the real world, the better I enjoy it. From the 20th century classics like Asimov, Pohl, Clarke, Aldiss, Bear & Haldeman, to contemporary greats like Banks, Asher and Hamilton, I love a visceral SciFi epic, especially when grounded in hard or speculative science.
Me too, I started reading adult books at a very young age too - H.G Wells, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Arthur C Clark, also non-fiction. We do indeed share a similar taste.
On the other hand, every night before we go to bed, my wife & I put a short, feel good comedy on to round off the night. Right now we're watching the 80s sitcom "The Golden Girls". It's 20 odd minutes of schmaltzy, tepid comedy that always has a happy ending, so it's a good way of shutting down the brain before bed :)
I occcasionally watch a comedy show, but mainly documentaries, followed by reading in bed to unwind.

So far to me the princess and the frog is started off wonderful but when they turned into frogs everything went South.

I believe it could’ve been a beautiful story about a girl trying to run a restaurant.

However i’ve not been able to watch the whole thing so I’m not sure.

Got to give it a second viewing a second chance

Children should be taught the cold, hard truth of the real world as soon as possible so they don't have unrealistic expectations. I hate society insists on feeding children these lies and making them disappointed when they grow and realize it was all bull[swear word that means poop].

For many of us, cold hard truths of the real world were simply learned in real life at very early ages. Often as a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people.

When you have had to deal with such unsolicited experiences, you don't think of Disney, or any other animated features. Once you have been traumatized at such an early age from some of life's grim realities, animated fantasy features are the last thing you'll be thinking about relative to the real world we live in.

If the most impressionable forces in the universe for you involve only animated film and television features, consider yourself fortunate.

Last edited:
Fairytales were originally just a way to scare children into good behaviour, and have a core lesson about how you're supposed to be kind, humble and obedient. They were pretty harsh actually.
Even so, in Beauty and the Beast, Gaston actually plummets to his death and the servants lost years of their lives. It was also around the time of the French Revolution, so might not have been such a happy end after all.
If Frozen had been real, she could have frozen all the citizens anyway and ruled the world from her ice palace with an army of snowmen.
It's not like Disney has a monopoly on happy endings (though it certainly has a formula)... lots of books and movies try to distract their consumers from the depressive state of life.

I never liked them either as they were just sappy rubbish.

there may be better material to put in front of children who are trying to form their view of the world, though I do see the inspirational angle to it.

I don't like anything coming from the big corporations. Disney is really probably the worse... Their biggest mission is to present bad as good...

It's just a Disney's style. A perfect, fictional universe. I'm not that much of a fun but their movies are pretty good. We can't blame cartoons for childrens unrealistic expectations, parents should teach them that there is actually huge diversity in real life. But should they do that as soon as possible? Well... I don't think so. Our youth is so short, why destroy it with something which we learn anyway in the future by ourselfs. Of course they shouldn't say to them everything is marvelous all the time but baby steps are better here.

Also it's not like the Disney is the only company which does that.

In real life you do not live happily ever after with your lover. In real life you two get sick of each other and fight all the time after you two have a kid and your relationship becomes verbally, if not physically abusive and you will get a divorce assuming one of you haven't murdered each other and your child in drunken rage over an argument while you two were screaming at each other. (...)
Well that's same exaggeration but to the other side. Life isn't always that bad, you know ;d

If Frozen was real then Elsa would have been tracked down and found by the citizens of Arendelle and be executed by being burnt at the stake for being a witch and a homosexual.
How's Elsa homo?
Actually I was positivly surprised by Frozen. I suspected another story about princess and her lovely prince but it was something else and I enjoyed it.

Movies can be great escapism especially if you deal with trauma or other issues in your life,sure it’s just fantasy but that’s what is great about it,it can give you a break away from day to day stressors and personally i try to avoid movies that are all doom and gloom because it can put me in a down mood and I want to be entertained not depressed.

...Disney movies are there to teach kids how to aspire to something greater, to persevere and see things through to the end. They have their place.
In Disney the problem is that, generally, the boys aspire to do great things and the girls aspire to be princesses. THAT is not a healthy lesson to teach them.

I love Disney!!!!

It's like candy and trees and stuffed animals and ducks and clouds and smiles and hugs and puppies, it's an entity that moves through the world dropping joy and optimism like confetti and balloons, balloons bouncing around the room, elevating individuals who then elevate each other and, in the end, everyone's risen higher than they were before they entered the room; and it's like when you eat a slice of cake when you're hungry or drink cold water in the middle of the night and wonder if this moment was one of your best, though it's one that you've experienced so many times that "best" lost its meaning and gotten a new meaning, one that you can't explain but love to feel and long to feel again.

My list of things I love are short, but each one has contributed to saving my life and seems like a heavenly gift, received again and again and again. I walk around Disneyland and it's like nothing bad has ever happened, nothing is wrong or broken, the happy music is playing, and it's like forever has arrived for a moment.

;):D

Last edited:
Also, not liking Disney because it's unrealistic reminds me of the time I tried ordering pizza from Taco Bell (some do sell pizza) and the cashier said, "Sorry, we don't sell that at this location," and I said, "Yes, you do," and then we were all annoyed.

And one time I went to a grocery store for magnets, couldn't find them, asked the closest person which was a security guard, and he laughed and laughed and laughed. "You're looking for magnets in a grocery store?" and we walked around the store with him, chatting, and he just kept going back to the magnets thing and laughing and laughing. I still feel like they could have magnets, though.

I'm sorry the OP feels that way. As in I'm sorry they can't have any love or appreciation for something I've had my whole life. Disney has greatly inspired and influenced my love of drawing and the cartoons and movies will always have a special place in my heart. So I'm going to continue wearing my Mickey and Minnie Mouse T-shirts, Sleeping with my plush Disney Characters, and watching Oswald the Lucky Rabbit on YouTube while other people watch stupid things like reaction videos to other reaction videos.:tongueclosed:

I had the same thoughts about disney. Also, I've got dark hair, and most of their princesses don't. As a kid it was really disturbing me. I'm not ugly either, but I have a huge problem with "good people" being beautiful and the opponents being ugly. In Notre Dame, which doesn't tell the real book story in which Phoebus is a total asshole; I always disliked that Quasimodo could not find someone to like him because of his physical appearence. What he gets in the end is friendship, but like, nobody wants him really. It's not fair and dishonest. There are no fat princesses or princes. And so on. The characters are either cute, soft, rounded, either angular and impressive. Guess who plays the nice person and who doesn't. Because of Disney, I used to attach unconsciously those characteristics for people in real life (until I realized what I was unconsciously assuming and why and where it was coming from). It doesn't work this way, it's stupid. I'd like that they mix the physical characteristics, for example to show a shy and tender person with angular and long face and body (Jafar or Maleficiant types). But no, the characters have their personalities attached to their body's "style". I hate it, because in reality it's not this way, and I unconsciously was judging people - even a tiny bit - from that. It's an implicit message that's totally wrong. I don't see a villain in Disney which doesn't look like a villain, nor a "good character" which looks more angular and less cute. They ALWAYS look cute and nice to look at, and it's boring. That implicit message is bad for kids who take things litteraly and will translate it in the real world. The prince doesn't loose an arm or something in any kind of battle, nor the princess or whatever, and they remain beautiful all the ****ing time.
I also dislike that view in which the reward for troubles is happiness, and that hard work is rewarded. It's not a rule. It's a viewpoint, or a wish, but it's not real. Reality is always changing, there's no place in happiness you can rest after the hard work. I dislike that the characters are rewarded for their "goodness", because in the reality, well, I guess we know how goodness is rewarded. You end up broke lol. There's no story about the guy who learned to be nice and good, and doesn't get rewarded but quiet the opposite when people managed to take everything from him, and then the character would learn to live more balanced and not be that good. It would hurt, isn't it? There's just no moral which hurts in disney.
Now that I'm older I realize it's because I took the message litterally (which is a general problem in my life through), instead of understanding that a story is what it is. A story. It's made to be a story. I just didn't understand it.

That being said :
Disney also talks about some hard truth (see Bambi and his mum, the Lion King with the jealousy between 2 brothers and the murders for power, or the awful mistreatments of Cinderella, how pinocchio gets into trouble because others take advantage of his lack of life experience and his naivety, in the 101 dalmatians how the puppies are almost killed, etc), so it's not only romance and so on, there's betrayal, murder, death, cruelty, stress, anxiety, disappointements; althrough they managed to make it appear as a sweet candy. They still talk about hard truths, but they wanted to make it accessible for everyone I guess.

Also, it's visually amazing and I like the humour. It's full of sensitivity and very poetic (for example in Bambi, there's a lot of poetry and very nice stuffs in the way Bambi discovers the world). I love how the characters move and jump and fall, their dynamics, etc. I like the colors, the way it's composed, I think I really love everything. It's not just action, action, action, action and fight and bad stuffs all the time and stressful events; there are moments of real beauty and fun within the hard story the characters are in. That's what I like, it's that Disney manages to not just focus on the main story and action, but also show that there's ths agreeable part of life. It doesn't mean the villain stopped trying to kill the main character or that things got really better, but he shows life in its shades of grey, as a more complete things than just following the main action/plot. I really like those touches of poetry and fun within the tragedy. It makes it beautiful and interesting and agreeable to watch. I think it's more important than the litteral morals.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom