• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who's smarter than a 5th grader?

Clintpauljohnson

Just trying to understand if a person with Aspergers would be considered smarter then a 5th grader?

I am trying to be funny. But at the same time I am as serious as a heart attack. Sorry if it is an insult but I am honestly trying to figure out my career and school options as is now with my intellect and later in 10 years.

You see I do not believe in IQ tests 100 percent and would trust a random person on the internet to guide me over a psychiatrist or person testing IQ.

Wisdom is what I am searching for, it seems to be much more important to me now a days. Where do I find it?

Can you help?

Explain intellect and how relevant it is in today's society?

What about emotional IQ? Etc

I am a little wired differently so people know. I would like a mentor,guider and a person that understands mental illness. Even if they are Ill themselves.

I feel that deep down I may have something to contribute to society but I need some productive opinions?

How long is a piece of string? People on the spectrum wildly vary in terms of IQ, EQ, and anything else you might think of.

If you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism.

How long is a piece of string? People on the spectrum wildly vary in terms of IQ, EQ, and anything else you might think of.

If you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism.
Agreed and I am a person with Aspergers that does not represent others. I have a list of other psychiatric conditions. So everyone is different. I would like to know about me?

What is eq?

You see when my psychiatrist first said I had Aspergers I was ok with it. I thought it meant I had average to above average intelligence. But now as I investigate I may be borderline retarded. No offence.

I want people to realistically test me and find out what it is I should do with the rest of my life?

I want to know if a person that has the same conditions as anothers. And has the intellect and wisdom may do find treating people the same condition? Like Hans Aspergers?

Am I crazy for wanting to make a small living helping people with mental illness? Or am I too far gone in the head?

Last edited:
Why do you need a test to tell you what you should do with your life?

What do YOU want to do with the rest of your life? That is what is important.

True, the thing is I suffer from delusions in my psychiatrist opinion. So it makes me doubt my abilities.

I would like to be a psychologist or marine biologist if not that then a medical laboratory scientist.. I am 38 now with a basic grade 10 that graduated high school

Sometime my brain says to go for the easy route and go for landscape and horticulture. I cross fingers my age of 38 will let me into the a managerial position in 5 years. Because I am unsure of labour at 45 plus and if it is still possible with out ruining the body?

Agreed and I am a person with Aspergers that does not represent others. I have a list of other psychiatric conditions. So everyone is different. I would like to know about me?

What is eq?

EQ is emotional intelligence.

I am worried about your possible future relations with your psychiatrist because he might be diagnosing you with schizophrenia, which at least in the DSM-4 was mutually exclusive from ASD.

EQ is emotional intelligence.

I am worried about your possible future relations with your psychiatrist because he might be diagnosing you with schizophrenia, which at least in the DSM-4 was mutually exclusive from ASD.

What are you saying? I have schizo affective bi polar type now do you think it is as bad as schizophrenia? Will I degrade into full blown schizophrenia?

I have to learn to advacate for myself or someone else will. I'm on that string, tight roping it.

I relate to this forum of being a person with Aspergers that suffer from ADHD and schizo-affective bi polar type. I agree with my psychiatrist assessment but to a degree.

For example I feel I have full-blown Aspergers and only smaller degrees of ADHD and schizo-affective bi polar if that makes sense?

Why do you need a test to tell you what you should do with your life?

What do YOU want to do with the rest of your life? That is what is important.

The few things I considered are:

Marine biology shallaw warm water organisms like corals and sponges etc.

Medical laboratory sciences

Landscape and horticulture

Psychology of some sort

And in my insane head some time I feel I could be a ghost writer of sort I don't know for a phychiatrist ,, psychologist,neurologist etc for a book to help people with mental illness control or get their lives back on track

These are just a few l can remember at the moment.

I'm a believer in the fact that a person has the answer to their question already locked in their head. But at time it takes another person to unlock that answer through communication or Socratic communication.

I am also a believer in that so goes the mind the Maan follow s type thing on where what you think you can become to a degree. And that the brain will grow, regenerate, rewire etc to get you there

What are you saying? I have schizo affective bi polar type now do you think it is as bad as schizophrenia? Will I degrade into full blown schizophrenia?

I have to learn to advacate for myself or someone else will. I'm on that string, tight roping it.

I relate to this forum of being a person with Aspergers that suffer from ADHD and schizo-affective bi polar type. I agree with my psychiatrist assessment but to a degree.

For example I feel I have full-blown Aspergers and only smaller degrees of ADHD and schizo-affective bi polar if that makes sense?

I'll drop this now as I don't know my psychiatry well enough.

Do you know how rare a person is in order to have ADHD, schizo affective bi polar type and Aspergers. Imo this is a correct diagnoses. It just hard to find a forum to discuss my issues I feel more comfortable here in this forum because I think I relate to Aspergers more so then the other issues I have.

Besides you guys are usually imo on the average to above average side of intelligence on average.

Schizo-affective bi polar I do not like having the ADHD and Aspergers I can deal with.

Having delusions or grandiose thoughts are challenging. This is why I ask here to see what are some realistic goals for a person like me?

My psychiatrist is so negative and pessimistic not to mention judgmental, it is hard to respect his advice.

See how I type? I type in somewhat disorganized patterns. Like the way I talk. It is hard to follow along and comprehend to the average person. I wish there was a forum that would teach about psychology and teach people like me how to organize thoughts in a comprehensive way.

This would turn a selective mute like me into a person that is respected and understood. Until then I will have to continue doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

Meh, a few weeks ago I had an IQ test at a local Autism Centre, will get the results in the next few weeks, but they did say, and I quote, there'll be stuff I won't like! They'll probably prove that what most people online have been saying for years, that I'm a retarded moron.

Here in Canada they want 500 dollars for one. I'M curious but at the same time may not like the results.

It like they say "if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree. The fish will forever think that it's stupid" something like that, lol.

Clint, your first question was about typical IQs of people with Aspergers. Given that, I have to say that I find it quite strange that you don't want to know your own (though I don't blame you at all for not wanting to fork out $500). The answer is that there is a wide range (as there is with any group of people) but also that lots of aspies have a higher than average IQ. It is also very true that IQ is not the only way to know whether someone has aptitude for a particular career.

New Threads

Top Bottom