• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who's experienced in IT/Coding/Web Design/Dev etc and has issues getting jobs?

I'm in IT, and part of the keeping the job challenge is the inherent instability of the technology itself--keeping up with changes as well as with the social requirements. I am usually received with respect by the topmost people in their own fields, but I now avoid companies that trumpet their "strong culture" because a strong culture is highly intolerant of people who don't do the social thing as their core. Soft manners outperform hard skills in those places. When the social overhead is so high that nothing is getting done, I get hired to make things happen, because they know things will get done, and they can get rid of me later (I contract fairly often). Could be that I'm cynical. I'm still bitter over last year's job(less) experience.

I don't want to work for myself. I may be an aspie, but I do need people contact. The comraderie at work is important to my happiness, as important as being able to withdraw from it when I get overloaded.

You might be interested in a man named Cal Evans and his work, especially his latest book, Culture Of Respect (available on LeanPub). He's a developer and developer manager, but his stuff applies to pretty much every IT position.

Basically, he agrees that the "culture" that's often marketed by companies is not only fake and superficial, but potentially detrimental to IT types, due to the nature of our work.

Hi All,

Out of interest, Who here has/does work in IT development/coding/Desktop & Server support etc but has issues getting or keeping jobs?

I worked in IT for 9 years then moved into a different field that didnt exactly fit my Aspie traits.
I'm just interested if what they say is true and Aspie's make the best IT people etc. I know I was good at my job.

Cheers

Yes, I am a software engineer, QA analyst, web designer and graphic designer. I go on interviews for jobs but am having much trouble finding work.

I live in the NYC area and there is PLENTY of work but the competition is fierce. I am professionally experienced in all the areas I listed-- You would think that would mean something, but now days, apparently not.

I am on disability for my Aspergers so I don't really have to work right now but I would like to.

Sometimes I just give up on all of it.

New Threads

Top Bottom