• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Whitewater Woman's Equipment Maintenance and Repair

OK. This is on the top side of the sink? Because mine does not look like that. Mine is all plastic. But I guess I can put some screwdrivers in and twist and see what happens. Now you've got me curious. Stay tuned. If you don't hear from me, I've been shrunk and down the drain.
Nope. Mine has only four spokes and they are plastic. When I try to put force on them with the screw driver the spokes bend and then break. I've only broken one out of the four, so I still have some sort of a strainer to keep big stuff from going down the drain.

The top of the pipe underneath has thread inside it, and the fitting screws in from on top. And two rubber washers, one either side of the sink basin. If it's a plastic fitting be gentle if you can. When plastic gets old it gets brittle and can break easy.

Worst case scenario is that you have to buy a whole new fitting, and they're not expensive.

Nope. Mine has only four spokes and they are plastic. When I try to put force on them with the screw driver the spokes bend and then break. I've only broken one out of the four, so I still have some sort of a strainer to keep big stuff from going down the drain.
I was writing the same time you were, sorry about that.

I was writing the same time you were, sorry about that.
That's okay. I should have sent a photo to solicit more advice. I did honestly get excited about trying it out, which is a good sign. It would be good if I found this stuff relatively interesting.

That's okay. I should have sent a photo to solicit more advice. I did honestly get excited about trying it out, which is a good sign. It would be good if I found this stuff relatively interesting.
Plumber's code:
Hot on the left
Cold on the right
Poop runs downhill
And never bite your fingernails :tonguewink:

If something breaks it's not a disaster, you can get new everything for 32 dollars. It can be a good idea to buy one of these kits and store it somewhere, so if something breaks later you have what you need to fix it. Always good to have some spare parts and things you might need. My dad used to say you should always have at least two of everything you need. Just make sure to check the size/diameter of the pipes before buying anything, so it fits.

Repair Kit

Or you can get a nice flexible system for 24 dollars, that can be handy to make more storage space under the sink:

Flexible Pipe

So it's not expensive, just some simple plastic bits and pieces.

Last edited:
@WhitewaterWoman

The "spoked" fitting in my sink looks like @Outdated 's except that there's a large screw on the center which is used to tighten/loosen it.

These systems are homeowner-friendly, but you need to have practiced a little so you can figure out the particular system you're working with "on sight". It only takes one small project to get that skill, but you're in the middle of your first one and it may still feel difficult.

Some things to think about for "under-sink" work:
* Those big plastic pipes are all very low pressure OFC - the water won't go uphill (unless you use a hose with some pressure to clean it /lol). That's why the open pipe from the dishwasher doesn't have to be capped.
* Drains smell bad - the "U- and S-shaped" parts (which "always" have water in them) stop the smell coming back up from the drains. If you remove/replace one, have something ready to block the drain side (easy to improvise)
* Screw threads leak (**) but they're very effective and reliable for holding things together. So seals are achieved via some form of compression between suitable surfaces. This is why there sometimes seem to be one or two extra parts in the joints.
* Pay attention to where the gaskets (if any) were when you disassemble. You can figure it out later OFC, but the first time it's easier to take pictures. It will all make sense when you reassemble, so you probably won't have to take pix next time you do this.

Here's how it works, so you can figure yours out:

* There are different ways to achieve a seal at the top (between the sink and the pipe). Those I've seen are based on sealing between the layers by drawing the "spoked" part in the sink and the top of the pipe together - i.e. something is needed to apply force vertically from above the sink to below the sink, with the sink itself a stationary "framework".
* The natural way to do this is via a "nut and bolt" kind of setup, but I'm sure there are others.
* Gaskets (rubber, plastic, etc) are soft enough to fill the gaps when they're squeezed, and also mean you don't need precision-.manufactured parts. They're not always needed though (see below).
* There's more than one way to do this - mine isn't the same as @Outdated's, and yours may be different to both.
* The other plastic-to-plastic connections in the pipe system use the same principles, but what's applying force are big plastic rings with inner threads. They grip the pipe (e.g. press on an integrated collar) and squeeze the end of the pipe against a gasket to seal the joint.
* You can see which short pipe sections have threaded ends and which have collars in your picture by the direction of the threaded rings.

I took my kitchen sink apart (only 5 min - I have a suitable screwdriver in the kitchen), and it works like this:

* The "spoked part" in the sink and the sink itself have exactly matching "conic section" shapes where they touch
* There's a special pipe-to-sink connector part on top of the pipe. The part in contact with the sink has the same/matching shape
* It seals by pulling the pipe part up to the "spoked" metal part in the sink via a screw (the "bolt") that's integrated into the "spoked sink part"
* There's a threaded metal element integrated into the "top-of-pipe" connector (inner thread, so it works like a nut).
* The seal doesn't need a gasket - all three parts are matched in shape and size, and the plastic can deform a little so make the seal tight.
* NB: screw threads are like a ramp wrapped around a cylinder - you get a lot of leverage from a fine thread.

The downside of my system is the need for standardized parts (three components must match exactly: sink, spoked part, top of the pipe). The upside is that you don't need gaskets so it's faster and easier to work with. Not so good if you can't replace all the parts though - at that point, one failure and you need a new sink.

A more generic system (where the only hard standard is the approximate size of the (unthreaded) hole in the sink) would use one or two gaskets.

(**)
Just for completeness, it's possible to seal screw threads if you need to, and there may be modern uses for this method. It's a PITA though: you have to wrap special thread (thin line) around the screw thread, and it's probably tricky to tighten the screw. Gaskets and O-rings are much easier.

Last edited:
Those big plastic pipes are all very low pressure OFC - the water won't go uphill (unless you use a hose with some pressure to clean it /lol). That's why the open pipe from the dishwasher doesn't have to be capped.

But if the p-trap gets clogged, and that happens sometimes, everything will come out of that open pipe. So it can be a good idea to plug it. You won't notice the problem until water is running out of the cabinet and you have to use a raft or a canoe to move around in the kitchen, if that pipe is left open. :)

Last edited:
True.

I have one in my kitchen that has a watertight screw cap on it ...
... luckily, because I got a "downstream" blockage once, and my kitchen sink was half-filled with my upstairs neighbor's dishwater.
It would have been much harder to deal with if the floor had been covered in greasy water.

Waste water systems are so reliable it's easy to forget about them, but they can indeed cause a lot of trouble when they're not working properly.

OK. I have a very long lag phase in learning something new. Once the lag phase is complete, everything falls into place. I am still in the lag phase here.

One problem is vocabulary. So far, I have accomplished finding out what the following are:
P - trap - and I can see how to tube that used to be to the dishwasher could cause problems if the P-trap dried out or got blocked.
tongue-and-groove slip-joint pliers - I do have some.
(Clapping here encouraged.)

I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos on fixing drains, but they all are with metal drains. Mine is plastic and doesn't have any of the screws others here have noted.

I hesitate to just go in and start taking things apart, but will do so if necessary and will just consider it a learning experience. I just don't see anyway of removing the drain. There are no screws.

Forest Cat, those plumbing kits look interesting. I wonder about the flexible one. Wouldn't the "wrinkles" in the pipe catch solid stuff and build up more quickly over time? And the plumbing kits don't deal with the drain itself, which I think is where the leak is. BTW, I agree with your father. I have duplicates of everything and back ups, especially for canoe trips. I just don't have plumbing and other stuff in my wheelhouse yet.

Just FYI for everyone. When I was in junior high school, we (the girls) were required to take home economics (cooking and sewing) and the boys were required to take "shop" (making and fixing things.) I begged to take shop instead and that was not permitted and I got a lot of flack from the school for that request. This was in the dark ages when girls still had to wear dresses to school. I sure wish they had let me take the shop course.

"Screw threads" are not just on those little fasteners on door hinges. The term also refers to those knobby looking things that have the thread on the inside, holding your pipes together. Maybe a trip to the hardware store just to play with the uninstalled components would show you how they are made.

P - trap -
This term was completely new to me as well, I've always just called it an S Bend.
There's no "screws" as your imagination is telling you. The fittings themselves are the screws. See picture below.
It's been a bit of a learning curve for me looking for descriptive images, apparently in the US plumbers use putty in drain fittings, that practice was banned here more than 50 years ago.

Below is a picture of a very similar unit to what @WhitewaterWoman has in her sink, the only difference is that with hers there's no locking knuckle underneath. Instead it's just screwed directly in to the pipe underneath.

49abfe14-eb0c-4d1b-a952-e3a299f0c41a.jpeg

That entire assembly costs only $12 in Australia, in US money that's about $8.50.

In a P trap, the water exits horizontally. In an S trap, it exits straight down, and can achieve enough velocity to empty the trap. It is no longer allowed in Canada.

Forest Cat, those plumbing kits look interesting. I wonder about the flexible one. Wouldn't the "wrinkles" in the pipe catch solid stuff and build up more quickly over time?

Yeah the wrinkles would get stuff trapped in them, but then everything else would flow over it. That type of pipe is handy for people who need more space, so if you have enough space under the sink, you don't really need it.

When I was in junior high school, we (the girls) were required to take home economics (cooking and sewing) and the boys were required to take "shop" (making and fixing things.)
When I got to high school that had all changed and both genders had to take both classes. I hated the home economics classes, I already knew how to cook and clean and look after a home, and I really hate sewing.

Forest Cat, I was wondering if anyone would want a follow up. You answered my question. Thank you for asking.

I could not get the drain disconnected from the sink. I "solved" the problem initially by just using the working side of the sink. But, another apparent leak showed up there.

So I sprayed the whole thing with a couple of coats of this product:

Flex Seal

That seemed to work for a bit and then it started leaking badly again. I looked underneath and it was leaking out the 1/2 pipe that used to be connected to the dishwasher. I looked for a bit of half inch cap but was unsuccessful, so I sealed it off with duct tape.

Now it works fine! No leaks!

Regarding the riding lawn mower, a local company had a sale on an annual tune-up so I just went ahead and let them tune it up. (I didn't know mowers needed an annual tune up!) This should delay problems while I work on getting a system in place to clean the underside of the mower platform. I need to do this before rainy season, which starts in June, so I need to get on it.

I could not get the drain disconnected from the sink. I "solved" the problem initially by just using the working side of the sink. But, another apparent leak showed up there.

Oh that's annoying. But if you stopped the leaks all is well I guess. :)
I was just thinking, if you stop by a store sometime where they sell those kinds of things, sinks and pipes, someone there could show you how to unscrew the drain.

Regarding the riding lawn mower, a local company had a sale on an annual tune-up so I just went ahead and let them tune it up. (I didn't know mowers needed an annual tune up!)

I actually gave my lawn mover a tune-up yesterday. It's always good to give those things a quick tune-up before using at again after a long winter.

New Threads

Top Bottom