• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

White Picket Fence Syndrome?

I'm married with 2 kids and live in the suburbs, but in all honestly I don't think any kind of programming or societal pressure had anything to do with it. I wouldn't consider myself some kind of media-brainwashed housewife trying to achieve some weird 'perfect family' benchmark. I've travelled, we moved our whole family to the UAE for five years, and now we've settled in the suburbs (of another country again) out of practicality, not because of a desire to fit in anywhere in particular. We needed a roof over our heads, near a school and near my husband's place of work. We found one, and here we are. I also spent my childhood years watching my mother marry and divorce 3 times, so I'm under no illusions as to the 'sanctity' of marriage. It's just like any other contract, just with more emotion and room for reinterpretation as the people involved see fit. Being married and having kids hasn't stopped me doing the things I want to do either, we just find a way. Also, there's so much in the media now around accepting other kinds of families (blended/same-sex couple parenting/fostering etc) that I don't know the programming ever will or ever did work, except maybe to make those who didn't want 'the ideal' feel uncomfortable.

[QUOTE="Sass, I don't think any kind of programming or societal pressure had anything to do with it. I wouldn't consider myself some kind of media-brainwashed housewife trying to achieve some weird 'perfect family' benchmark.

I apologise if I've managed to offend anyone with my opinion. That genuinely wasn't my intention.

I studied social science in my teens. Society seems to direct more value, and respect toward the traditional nuclear family. That particular social template seemed to be what the majority of adults aspired to. It gave them advantage and elevated their 'social status' so to speak

I disliked the negative labelling placed upon other types of family dynamic, e.g divorce equated to a 'broken home'. Although at face value the terminology was correct, it instantly 'devalued' whoever was outside of the mold.

I believe those who are in a nuclear family are extremely blessed. I can't deny the appeal. It's beautiful to see a traditional family enjoying being together.

I believe it's also natural for humans to seek out, pair up and desire a family. There is safety in numbers.

I suppose 'labelling theory' was a topic that didn't sit well with me at the time.

Last edited:
I'm not offended at all, just wanted represent the other side of the coin, in that sometimes it does 'work' (although it takes a lot of effort!) :)

I grew up thinking that this was what I was supposed to do. Grow up, be a teacher and have babies for my husband. Was it appealing to me? I can't say that I was exactly dreading it but I wasn't looking forward to adulthood either (and now that I've been here awhile I think my nonchalance of the idea of growing up has been justified). It definitely hasn't ended up like that and I doubt that it ever totally will. I live with my boyfriend and I really don't want to be with anyone else after the trauma of my previous relationship so I'll either get part of that ideal I grew up with or I'll dispel it completely.

New Threads

Top Bottom