• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Which of the senses is the most sensitive for you?

Which of the senses is most sensitive for you?

• Sight

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Sound

Votes: 37 86.0%
  • Touch

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Smell

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Taste

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Good to see I am not alone here. My ex said I could hear a mouse fart at 1000 paces. I reckon I could smell one too! ☺

Anyone else able to smell fruit fly infestations? I smell them the moment I enter a house.

I think I am most effected by visual stimulation, though I wouldn't say it is my most sensitive sense.

This an interesting point that you make. That our most sensitive sense probably is not relied upon because it fails many of us throughout our day. Despite my hearing being very sensitive, I can't always rely on it when interacting with the world. I probably use sight the most in making up for struggling to listen effectively. For example, by reading signs or menus at a restaurant instead of the waiter/waitress telling me the daily specials. They usually rattle them off so fast that I can't remember anything they said. Often times I look things up at work, rather than asking someone because of the communication challenges and it is less tiring. The ironic thing is that my eyesight is not great. I have fairly strong prescription glasses, I can't see very well far away.

The survey results thus far are pretty much in line with what I thought they would be. Hearing seems to be running away with the most sensitive sense we experience. I thought feeling would have been a bit higher and smell to be a little less. It is interesting reading the posts to see how extra sensitive senses affect us.

I can be noise sensitive at times. I also have a thing about smells and unless I have a blocked nose I will notice smells and focus on them more than others often do.

Touch, definitely. I hate physical contact (unless I initiate it). Any sort of light touch on my skin is unbearable. Sometimes I can't even stand to touch myself- just resting my hands on my lap feels terrible.

I said hearing and smell, but my 3rd would be touch. I like to have space around me. Touch isn't painful but seems intrusive.

I think I m now on the edge or border of being a little deaf, but I don't like noise that seems loud, or cacophanous. If that's a word :oops:. My sense of smell is well developed and I notice smells others don't. I gag if perfume or deodorant etc is sprayed.

I suppose that would be sound. Something that annoys me more often than anything else.

There are no laws or restrictions when it comes to landscapers using leaf blowers or lawn mowers, or people with very loud and low frequency car engines driving by. Or toddlers in stores who screech at the top of their lungs for no particular reason.

I'm much better with loud noises I can anticipate, or are part of a process I have agree to. But those uninvited noises that occur suddenly, ouch!

Second to sound would be smell. Particularly cigarette smoke that sends me into a fight or flight mode. Cheap perfumes can be problematic for me as well.

Last edited:
I am more often bothered by smells. Any type of petroleum based product or cigarette smoke upsets me. Stinky but not toxic substances are annoying. Like whatever it is my neighbor cooks once a week just reeks!
If i can identify the food being cooked, i can deal with it long enough to walk by, but I wouldnt want my apartment to smell like someome elses cooking.
Strong women's perfume is awful, I can imagine it corroding my nostrils. Men's scents are ok.
My second thing is sight, specifically bright lights, glarey lights, lights that flicker....
Fluorescent lights when they are warming up and flicker and hum...i hate that. I dont like overhead lights or those spot light things in newer homes. I like a soft light, preferably given off by a Tiffany style table lamp.

For me, it's hearing and them smells. Loud or sudden sounds unnerve me and bring on headaches. I can't stand hand dryers, especially the really powerful ones. After that, smells often come across as too strong and can bring on headaches as well.

My second thing is sight, specifically bright lights, glarey lights, lights that flicker....
Fluorescent lights when they are warming up and flicker and hum...i hate that. I dont like overhead lights or those spot light things in newer homes
I dislike white LED spotlights intensely. Don't like flickering lights either. Another thing that bothers me is certain editing/special effects in documentaries in movies - white flashing screens between frames, static or metal on metal sound effects, that kind of thing... hate it.

Hard to put in order but sound is definitely at the top. I have white noise full blast at all times, I don't LOVE having it on but otherwise I'll have no sense of privacy. I hear everything throughout the house so I assume they can hear me just as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom