• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When your obsession/special interest might be slightly polarizing

That's odd; back in my previous job we had a skeleton staff on for Remembrance Day to serve Ontario and Quebec because our offices were open in those provinces.

I'll bet that there were lots of sick people on that day. There were are also lots of cadets and schoolchildren attending as well. And lots of veterans young and old and politico's speaking. I was actually quite surprised by the amount of people there, I thought that it would be small but it went on for blocks. I had no idea, as the local ceremonies I attended in montreal were small in comparison. Even the small ceremony I went to last year, had the local MP for the area speaking, as well as several other politically motivated individuals. Which my father would have been furious about. He would have never allowed it. Veterans Day is for Veterans and their families and the people who wish to pay tribute to them.

Last edited:
One more a photo from today for my big project, I'll be doing lots of walking tomorrow!

We Remember 04.jpg

I have no idea why it's not a holiday in the UK and Australia.

Both countries suffered terribly, yet we get a day off for the queen's birthday!

I had relatives in both world wars, and my grand dad was a desert rat.

Without them the world would be a dark place.

I have no idea why it's not a holiday in the UK and Australia.

Both countries suffered terribly, yet we get a day off for the queen's birthday!

I had relatives in both world wars, and my grand dad was a desert rat.

Without them the world would be a dark place.

As I understand in the UK it's Remembrance Sunday, but then you probably know that... And in Australia they have Anzac Day, at a different time of the year... Anzac Day - Wikipedia

I've actually heard arguments for them not to be stat holidays, but to make sure the moment of silence is observed everywhere in the country, including places like retail stores, workplaces, etc...

I once attended an Anzac Day ceremony here in Alberta, held yearly by local Australians

Oh yeah, silly me!

Have you thought of visiting France for photos?

I'd love to go on a war history trip personally.

Flanders, Normandy, even auchistz.

Oh yeah, silly me!

I went to dachau years ago. Apparently the ovens weren't used. It didn't actually close down till about ten years after the war.
Such a rich area of Germany, big houses etc
Mostly photos inside, remade prefabs with beds inside, the gas chamber,ovens and thousands of shoes.

Ironically met a girl called Emma who was studying autism and I was able to talk about it to her as I read books on the subject. Didn't apply it to me till twenty years later.
The train back to Munich - this way I said - out to the platform.
Why is everyone standing over there?
So only two of us standing on the wrong platform.
Yep, that was me :)

Oh yeah, silly me!

I've thought of it, haven't done it yet... I'd be happy enough with a visit one year to the Ottawa ceremony...

My having an intense fascination with totalitarian systems is inherently polarizing. :eek:

Always risky to allow people to notice the books on my shelves...:p

Oh yeah, silly me!

I'd probably get bogged down in England...stuck in the Imperial War Museum and not wanting to leave! ;)

I stand for all who died in the war. (Exceptions of course) politics aside. Most people where somewhat ordinary, forced into bad situations. Others, not. With history so interweaves with politics it is easy to forget who a lot of the men where, who where fighting and living on the wrong side.

I'd probably get bogged down in England...stuck in the Imperial War Museum and not wanting to leave! ;)

That place is fantastic.

Also worth a look is Churchills bunker. It's the place where he ran his war from, and after the war it was left as it was and just locked up. In recent years it's become a museum.

One of the London museum had a holocaust exhibit on years ago, and that was the single best exhibit I've ever seen.

People talked on the way in, but by half way through it was silent. It managed to show the true scale of it, while showing personal stories. By the time I left I'd gone through stages of grief, and just felt numb.

Some people maybe think it's too dark a subject, but I think it's important to remember and reflect on what happened, and how close we came to a new dark age.

Discouraged... :(

On my first full day of doing my portrait project for Remembrance Day, only four street portraits in five hours of walking around, not one after 1:45 PM followed by at least ten rejections, I lost count after awhile, got very dejected, plus had a pounding headache all day, still have the headache, I feel like crawling into a hole and hiding right now, because I've failed... I put so much pressure on myself for this project and when I get poor results it really gets to me, by the end of the day I was so tense and wired, just gave up... It's my obsession, when it goes good I'm in my zone, days like today I take it personally (right or wrong)

I have to head out again tomorrow, hopefully it's a better day! o_O

Last edited:
That place is fantastic.

Also worth a look is Churchills bunker. It's the place where he ran his war from, and after the war it was left as it was and just locked up. In recent years it's become a museum.

One of the London museum had a holocaust exhibit on years ago, and that was the single best exhibit I've ever seen.

People talked on the way in, but by half way through it was silent. It managed to show the true scale of it, while showing personal stories. By the time I left I'd gone through stages of grief, and just felt numb.

Some people maybe think it's too dark a subject, but I think it's important to remember and reflect on what happened, and how close we came to a new dark age.

Ever seen the lady who lived at number 6?

A woman,109,when the film was made only survived the camp because of music.

jewish woman 106 survived holocaust film - Yahoo Search Results

Watched it on a transatlantic flight tears in my eyes.

(On a lighter note,first time i went to london by myself,got off the bus,thinking I'll walk in... i ended up in the imperial war museum,only because i walked in the wrong direction,away from central london. Had to catch a bus back to london....)

But the whole film is definitely worth a watch for anyone who hasnt seen it.

Calgary has a great service for remembrance day, I love it myself. Shame so few people I know celebrate it, but even I might not have had I not grown up attending services regularly (grandfather was in the war).

See my PM to you Sherlock. The magazine is very interested and will twitter link to your photos. Not such a discouraging day after all. :)

Calgary has a great service for remembrance day, I love it myself. Shame so few people I know celebrate it, but even I might not have had I not grown up attending services regularly (grandfather was in the war).

Welcome from Calgary! Do you ever stop by the Field of Crosses? Which service do you normally attend... I go to different ones every year, rotate around... Little known fact, there is a nice small ceremony at Burnsland Cemetery, it's never listed anywhere

Welcome from Calgary! Do you ever stop by the Field of Crosses? Which service do you normally attend... I go to different ones every year, rotate around... Little known fact, there is a nice small ceremony at Burnsland Cemetery, it's never listed anywhere
I like to go to the service at Central Memorial Park; it's the service I attended as a child.

I like to go to the service at Central Memorial Park; it's the service I attended as a child.

In that case, you might have seen me if you remember, I'm the guy running around the park with a camera, wearing a poppy on my fedora, or maybe a cowboy hat, it's my way of remembering... Although I tend to rotate between different ceremonies every year...

I'm terrible at remembering people XD I may have noticed but I tend to keep my distance from other people I don't know. I probably didn't really look at anyone else there. Oops :)

New Threads

Top Bottom