• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When you have to talk to social workers

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I feel so out of my depth but sadly see I have very little choice!

It is regarding my youngest niece who at just 14 has become addicted to sex and to be blunt, my sister has no control and also is a major procrastinator.

We have always had our doors open to our nieces and nephew, but my sister stunts any progress.

Social workers got involved and my sister promised that she would take control over her daughter and that, when she gets her passport renewed, she can go to France. She failed to do anything.

Apparently a young girl of the same age, in the same street, was murdered and thus, it was imperative to remove Jodie to a safer environment.

So please note, that she had the chance of coming to us in January, but I received a message from my sister about a week ago, to say that she signed half rights away to social services. That she felt pushed into signing.

I managed to contact the social worker involved and spent an hour on the phone with her. It was horribly difficult because they are the worst people to talk to and will use emotions against you and I failed to begin with, because I felt so angry and frightened. Finally I came into my own and she said that it is out of their hands now and that the courts will decide where to place Jodie. Said that she would phone me back in a couple of days. And "took" my email address so that I could send photos of our home. She said that what ever I said to her, was in the strictest confidence and so, I put some matters straight about our past and related some facts about my other sister.

This social worker fobbed me off and also breached confidentiality.

Jodie was removed and now in Dover. She did blame her mum but now doesn't but does not want to talk to me or her other auntie and I think it is because she feels we let her down ie didn't try hard enough to for her.

I have no association with my other sister ( a long story), but she sent my husband a message that was from me and told me that I had no right to s**g her off and that I would find my life would be better if I put the past away! It is so hard to not want to punch lol I get so angry that I can hardly breath.

So, I asked my sister for the number of this place where Jodie is and as typical, she doesn't have the number, but I ask why not? In other words, she talks to Jodie via mobile phone. Lol she told me that Jodie does not want to talk to me and then says: I will ask Jodie for the number!!!!!!! And no, my sister does not have aspergers.

I see that I had no choice but to contact this blasted social worker and ask why she felt it necessary to lie to me. Sadly though, she was not there and had this rather blunt, no nonsense woman on the phone. I guess I was stupid because I said I needed to speak to Jodie's social worker because she had lied to me ( I know, whoa) and of course, the woman demanded how and so I told and then she said she would give me the phone number. I, sadly misheard her and of course, she uses this against me by saying: no, I need YOUR phone number and so I tried to say: ah of course, that makes sense and sorry, I misheard you. So I gave her the number, knowing full well that she was not going to phone back. She claims she is going to get back with the number of the establishment, but I would be surprised if she did.

Once blasted social services have their teeth into a situation, it is impossible to work with them!

I am going to try and find the number online, because it is imperative that I speak to my niece to show her that I care and love her. It is powerful to a teen to know that their auntie who lives in France, is going out of her way, to contact her. If she decides she doesn't want to talk to me, that is fine, because I will try again and again and again.

It is times like this when I wish I was not aspergic!

I'm sorry your family is going through such a tough time.
It sounds like you're doing everything you can to help your niece.
I'll remember you and your family in my prayers, if you'd like that.
Good luck to you!

Thank you Wireless for that.

The latest is that I was once again, fobbed off and so, on advice from my husband, I shall phone each day in the week, until they take note.

I guess I can understand their side of things; they do not know me and I live in France and thus, really they have to be suspicious and thus, it is my side, to do the convincing, but being an aspie, tends to make things very difficult for me ie I hate pushing myself onto others and this is like, major pushing, but I love my niece and so, will endeavor to at least get word that she has her auntie who loves her dearly.

If they refuse to hand a phone number to me, then I will demand for a letter to get to her and also demand it be signed for and proof that she receives it.

Sorry to hear what your family is going through.
Sad to say that is social work today, they think they know what is best when in fact they have no real idea.
I have had my share of negative experience with social workers refusing to assess me as i do not fall into their realm of training or assessment criteria.
They have no trouble filling out my paperwork no reading of notes or even knowing me that i have no needs.
I will pray for you and your family and to have this sorted and your niece returned to you

I have never had occasion to work with Social Services, and am quite thankful for that. Sadly though it means I am unable to offer any useful advice.

I hope that this does not become a prolonged worry for you, though, because I know you had enough stress in your life before this. I really admire your determination and your loyalty to your niece. All teenagers need someone who will take up for them, without passing judgment on them for their mistakes.

I feel so out of my depth but sadly see I have very little choice!

It is regarding my youngest niece who at just 14 has become addicted to sex and to be blunt, my sister has no control and also is a major procrastinator.

We have always had our doors open to our nieces and nephew, but my sister stunts any progress.

Social workers got involved and my sister promised that she would take control over her daughter and that, when she gets her passport renewed, she can go to France. She failed to do anything.

Apparently a young girl of the same age, in the same street, was murdered and thus, it was imperative to remove Jodie to a safer environment.

So please note, that she had the chance of coming to us in January, but I received a message from my sister about a week ago, to say that she signed half rights away to social services. That she felt pushed into signing.

I managed to contact the social worker involved and spent an hour on the phone with her. It was horribly difficult because they are the worst people to talk to and will use emotions against you and I failed to begin with, because I felt so angry and frightened. Finally I came into my own and she said that it is out of their hands now and that the courts will decide where to place Jodie. Said that she would phone me back in a couple of days. And "took" my email address so that I could send photos of our home. She said that what ever I said to her, was in the strictest confidence and so, I put some matters straight about our past and related some facts about my other sister.

This social worker fobbed me off and also breached confidentiality.

Jodie was removed and now in Dover. She did blame her mum but now doesn't but does not want to talk to me or her other auntie and I think it is because she feels we let her down ie didn't try hard enough to for her.

I have no association with my other sister ( a long story), but she sent my husband a message that was from me and told me that I had no right to s**g her off and that I would find my life would be better if I put the past away! It is so hard to not want to punch lol I get so angry that I can hardly breath.

So, I asked my sister for the number of this place where Jodie is and as typical, she doesn't have the number, but I ask why not? In other words, she talks to Jodie via mobile phone. Lol she told me that Jodie does not want to talk to me and then says: I will ask Jodie for the number!!!!!!! And no, my sister does not have aspergers.

I see that I had no choice but to contact this blasted social worker and ask why she felt it necessary to lie to me. Sadly though, she was not there and had this rather blunt, no nonsense woman on the phone. I guess I was stupid because I said I needed to speak to Jodie's social worker because she had lied to me ( I know, whoa) and of course, the woman demanded how and so I told and then she said she would give me the phone number. I, sadly misheard her and of course, she uses this against me by saying: no, I need YOUR phone number and so I tried to say: ah of course, that makes sense and sorry, I misheard you. So I gave her the number, knowing full well that she was not going to phone back. She claims she is going to get back with the number of the establishment, but I would be surprised if she did.

Once blasted social services have their teeth into a situation, it is impossible to work with them!

I am going to try and find the number online, because it is imperative that I speak to my niece to show her that I care and love her. It is powerful to a teen to know that their auntie who lives in France, is going out of her way, to contact her. If she decides she doesn't want to talk to me, that is fine, because I will try again and again and again.

It is times like this when I wish I was not aspergic!
Hi Suzanne, I'm so sorry all this happened to your young niece, & you. Were you ever able to get in contact with your niece, or get anything resolved with Social Services? I know you already had a lot of other things to deal with before this very upsetting event transpired.

New Threads

Top Bottom