• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When work won't let you do your job

Well in a way you have "nothing to lose" by going on interviews at this point. You are fear how the circumstances of your current job will affect you, which aren't likely to change in a way that is better for you, and you are not comfortable in interviews. With interviews, the more you go on, the better you will get. If you end up getting a job you don't like, it's not like you lost anything. Any type of change in what you can only help you grow. If you end up in another job you don't like, keep trying to interview and get into one that does work for you. This is the best thing you can do given your situation.

You could consider hiring a private job coach. They can be expensive if they exist in your area though.

Another route you can take if you have an official diagnosis, ask for some job training from your state's OVR. Don't accept the help you'd get for a job unless it's specifically for the same type of job you currently or previously had. Another idea off of this is if you are out of this job you are describing, take a job through OVR or if you have choices, one that you like that is super easy for you if possible, and then try to look for real work while doing that easy job. It looks better to be working or volunteering or going to school at something than doing nothing at all. If you are in a situation where you're collecting unemployment, it's okay to do nothing but collect unemployment for about 6 months at most, and then after that, make sure you're doing something by then (volunteering, working, or going to school.)

I agre that your boss should give you the necessary information upfront, and perhaps you should explain this to him as you have here - not having the necessary is simply hijacking you every time.
. . .

The best that you can do for yourself is to disclose to your boss your situation diagnosis if you have one, and then do your best work at your best level of competence. In the long run it is really worth it. I know because I have been through this! :) I am saying this but I realise that I do not know all the detail of your work situation.

ASD_Geek knows his boss better than any1 else, so the boss may or may not be a good person to let know about the diagnosis at this point.

Also, the reason your boss might not be telling you certain information is that it could make him liable for things that would affect his job possibly. Be mindful of that, and just focus on what is feasible enough for you to do your job and be happy as much as possible.

I think someone said something to this effect earlier, but I can't find it. I think someone said something like "I told my boss about my interest in not being promoted and that I didn't want to compete, but my boss did not believe me." My response to this is that it would make sense that your boss did not believe you because unfortunately, we live in a very unempathetic world where many people (in a US culture anyway) are out for themselves and they don't do team work unless their job depends on it basically. That boss could think you have alterior motives by saying that because a lot of NTs tend to have alterior motives, and not necessarily ones that are really helpful for you or the company. A school I previously worked at definitely has alterior motives. They laid off 15% of their workforce several months ago and just became unionized a few days ago or so. . .

Thank you for the advice! It is very appreciated. I wish that I could hire a coach. Right now, I have a counselor that I have 10 free sessions with. We already used one to get things going. I would really like to keep going but finances preclude that as I have a family to provide for. Sometimes I wish that I could just quit and do something simple on a part-time basis.

It's complicated, I also have fibromyalgia and it's tough keeping up the facade even on good days. I have good benefits where I am, so I am going to hang in as log as possible. The thought of a new job with even more responsibilities is a daunting one.

Why is it always presumed that career advancement means taking on leadership roles? Leadership is a skill set that is completely unrelated to many jobs. Just because somebody is a good welder (for example) does not mean they are fit to judge the character of welders, resolve conflicts between employees, and delegate tasks. Perhaps a good welder is just a good welder and should be allowed to do what they are good at, whereas a mediocre welder with good organizational and interpersonal skills should take over the leadership position.

The importance of leadership roles are also ovevalue, in my opinion. Yes, it is essential to have leadership to keep people on task, but that doesn't make them more important than the people they are leading. Of course, leaders determine priorites, so it is only natural that society would become biassed toward them, but I contend that leaders are far more easily replaced than they would like to admit.

Very well said!

I've also observed that many organizations are top heavy with leadership. There are too many chiefs in the tribe and not enough common people. This causes unbelievable inefficiencies and red tape. Leadership is overvalued.

I've also observed that many organizations are top heavy with leadership. There are too many chiefs in the tribe and not enough common people. This causes unbelievable inefficiencies and red tape. Leadership is overvalued.

I agree completely. There are a lot of organizations that have a ton of middle and/or upper management.

It's an attempt to shake out people who the management feels are simply "getting by". They probably think that mandating everyone to follow a certain path will create an atmosphere of competition (and fear) among those who want to remain employed and encourage folks with your mentality to quit. You might want to start looking for a new employer.

Also, a lot of companies, for some weird reason, have a policy of always suspecting their employees of foul play. It was like that when I worked at Countrywide. My boss was constantly looking for reasons to dock my pay or even fire me.

Also, a lot of companies, for some weird reason, have a policy of always suspecting their employees of foul play. It was like that when I worked at Countrywide. My boss was constantly looking for reasons to dock my pay or even fire me.

That is just sociopathic management taking particular delight in stirring the pot and seeing how people react. Your boss at Countrywide was probably the textbook definition.

That's me to a Tee, only except I'ma framer/general contractor not a welder by trade.

QUOTE="Datura, post: 311553, member: 12729"]Why is it always presumed that career advancement means taking on leadership roles? Leadership is a skill set that is completely unrelated to many jobs. Just because somebody is a good welder (for example) does not mean they are fit to judge the character of welders, resolve conflicts between employees, and delegate tasks. Perhaps a good welder is just a good welder and should be allowed to do what they are good at, whereas a mediocre welder with good organizational and interpersonal skills should take over the leadership position.

The importance of leadership roles are also ovevalue, in my opinion. Yes, it is essential to have leadership to keep people on task, but that doesn't make them more important than the people they are leading. Of course, leaders determine priorites, so it is only natural that society would become biassed toward them, but I contend that leaders are far more easily replaced than they would like to admit.[/QUOTE]

I have a similar thing with the job I signed up to last year at the British Heart Foundation, they won't let me serve customers on the till, despite the fact that's what I signed up for and have trained to do, serve customers in Charity shops.

I haven't been to them since before Christmas due to illness but that's beside the point, they should be letting me do what I want.

New Threads

Top Bottom