• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When did you first use the Internet?

Google

V.I.P Member
I got my first computer that could connect to the Internet in 2001 or 2002. It was a piece of crap but it was built by my uncle so I think we got it for free. It had Windows 98 and didn't have a sound card. I didn't get a decent computer until 2004 or 2005.

Last edited:
I started using it semi-regularly in the early 1990's. Started using it regularly in the mid 1990's. Got my own internet connection in 2003.

I got two computers in the early 1990's - one a Mac; the other a PC with Windows 3.11 on it. Neither computer was connected to the internet. These computers helped me learn a lot about computers early on in life though.

Last edited:
I first started using the internet in the late 1990's when my dad bought his first computer. It was a Packard Bell with Windows 98 Second Edition and a Pentium 3 processor. I mainly used the internet for looking up my obsessions and listening to music. I didn't bother with chat rooms or MSN.

I think in 1996 on windows 95 at work. I got free internet at home in 1998, and DSL a year later. I had actually used modem to modem back in the mid 1980s.

I used it before it was The Internet. It was known as Arpanet i think.
This was around 1975 when I typed my first text chat message
over an old unix app called "talk".

I text chatted to a frend of mine in Ohio,
I said "Hi Robbie".

I think I was around 15 or 16 when I first started using the internet, so it was around 1998 or 1999. I did have a computer before that but I didn't use it for that. I mostly used it to play video games before.

My first Internet usage was using Prodigy at about age 12 or 13 in the early 90s. Not too long after that, I think my family switched to America Online, which sucked a little less.

I have been interested in computers/technology since i could remember, I started using computers when i was 7-8 and started using the internet when i was 12-13 and got addicted to the internet when i was 14 and im still an addict and always will be

My first encounters with the internet were probably somewhere around '96 / 97', looking for tennis statistics or something similar.
We didn't get internet at home 'till the end of 1999/start of 2000. I had been nagging about it for years to no avail. Then we got one of those early iMacs (the limegreen one; still working...on it's own pace) and since it was more or less built for the internet I figured it would only make sense to just go ahead and test it. "If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission." And the same if you want to achieve onlineness. Computer magazines often came with promotional dial up install cd's at the time, so I just used one of those, hooked everything up et voila! It was a clandestine operation until the next phone bill came through. :-O Apparently dial-up connections get a specific mentioning on the bill. {hand to forehead}
A few months later I was doing 24h sessions on irc. That time the phone bill's surprising element wasn't the internet connection but the amount written next to it. Which lead to the rapid adoption of a dsl-line. Boo-ya. :)

I remember going online the week AOL went to unlimited service and I stayed online for like 36hrs straight. I was surfing different chat rooms (lurking) and looking at various profiles and learned how to use bulletin boards to download music and video clips (too slow back then to try and get anything whole 26-33k). I remember sending a lot of e-cards with funny voice clips to my mom. I was around 22 and this was a whole new world for me...but I did start getting several pop ups for IM's and this bothered me as I did not know what to say, so I started using the feature of hiding my online status so people would stop requesting IM's. Not long after, one of those annoying people popping in to IM me turned into my current partner, but that's another story.

I think it was in 96 or 97... a friend of mine had a dial-up and was allowed an hour or so a week, so we looked around a bit and eventually we went to the library quite a lot to read up on articles on interests which didn't have a lot of printed press. I was 14/15 at the time, I also didn't have a lot of money and I didn't really have the money to spend on a lot magazines either, so that was one way of keeping "up to date". When I was 16 and went to college, we had connections there and the entire ISDN thing was rising, so I spend a lot of time there, rather than the library.

I got my own connection in 2001, when I was 18. That was a cable/broadband kinda deal back then, which I convinced my parents to get after a friend of mine got it. Never had dial-up. In 2007 or so I switched from cable to ADSL because it was cheaper and I had a lot of problems with my cable connection.

People have claimed that since the internet, the rise of adult material is through the roof. It also constitutes for a lot of "weird" perversions... can't really think of anyone who hasn't at some point seen something oddly bizarre online (where I define bizarre as "refined" and "not within the norm"). Yet I have the funniest memories drawing perversions when I didn't have the internet at the age of 10, lol... thought that was a funny anekdote.

I started using the Net when I was 5. Time flies, it feels as if it's yesterday when I first logged on the Net.

It was 1996 and I was in high-school. I joined the Internet when it first started really taking off. My first modem was a 33k dial-up, heh. Then I progressed to 56k dial-up and remained stuck on dialup for years before finally getting broadband.

in 1998-1999 probably...something like that, at some university for free. I just went there and said: "Can I use your internet?" They said:"Go, ahead. Just talk to a guy in the computer lab" The guy was kinda creepy though :) one of the 1st things I did is registered at fool.com. Have absolutely no idea why. A year or so ago I was looking at my old subscriptions and saw that one (I still get emails from them). For the 1st time I realized that it was an investment adviser website, and I though that it could be useful someday so I kept the subscription :)

Not 100% sure what year, but I think it was 1995-96 when I was in eighth grade. At the time I was really into skateboarding and remember trying to download ramp designs online during school. I say 'trying' because back then it took about five minutes for one freaking picture to show up!

I think when I was 16 during the 90's. When I got my own place at age 17, I got myself a pager as it was the only way to reach me since I was using dailup internet 24/7 using Napster and waiting 15 minutes per song. A year later I was very happy when they started to have high speed internet.

I guess I can consider myself a late bloomer :) I believe it was 1998 or 1999, the 1st website I went to was Fool.com: Stock Investing Advice | Stock Research I had no idea why, or what it was all about but I went ahead and registered. It ended up being an investment advice website, I'm still getting emails from them, maybe one day it will be useful :)

New Threads

Top Bottom