• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When being social ruins your special interest

As far as "ruining" a special interest, if you just look at it from a learning perspective,...more importantly, from a "cognitive empathy" perspective,...it may actually give you a more complete understanding of your special interest. Recognizing how you interpret and use your knowledge of astrology and philosophy is your own,...and that others can look at the same thing and get something else from it,...that's handy information that you can use,...giving you a more complete understanding.

Thank you for this.

It's a good question. I tend to feel sick after the social situation is over.

The fervor on the astrology forum is dying down, which I'm thankful for, because honestly I'm so strapped with summer term schooling that I'm having panic attacks trying to complete my assignments on time.

How did your social engagement go?

It was a light lunch. It went ok. I got through it. I wish I had more in common with people sometimes. I mostly dont know what I am supposed to say.

Does anyone else have an experience where being social has ruined their special interest?
I find myself toning down my enthusiasm for my special interest so that people will keep talking to me. I've even directly asked someone "how obsessed are you with [topic]?" just so I could know how shallow or deep I should talk about it :tearsofjoy:.
I avoid talking with others about some of my interests bc I know it will turn the interest into a draining thing instead of a fun thing. Associating the interest with social interaction is... not fun at all to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom