• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's your role in group projects?

Daydreamer

Scatterbrained Creative
So, chances are you've probably worked in a group project before. What role do you tend to find yourself in? Personally, I'm usually second in command / damage control and conflict manager. If our group leader, for whatever reason, is absent...then it's typically up to me to keep things on track and answer any relevant questions.

There have been a few times where I've had to take over, but I only do so if necessary. If the leader seems stressed and can't manage the team, then I'll offer emotional support to them and keep the rest of the group in check. My ability to keep calm in stressful situations tends to fluctuate, but if I see team members struggling it's almost like a switch in my brain turns on.

I don't like to be first in command. Mainly because I have a tendency to get carried away with how I envision the project. However, I will step in if arguments between team members start getting in the way of progress.

*Arguing*

"Both of you shut up! I want *insert name* to talk first. Then, *insert other name* will state their case. (Sighs) *Insert another person*, you're getting on my nerves and you're not helping this situation either. Now, we're all going to talk through this because we are not failing this assignment, OK? Good".

How about you?

If we have to form our own groups, then I was the one that the teacher had to put in a group after everyone already made their groups, and then I'm silent and do whatever I'm told to do. If it involves a presentation, I offer to do the majority of the work in exchange for not having me speak.

I'm dead silent and do all the work, because I don't know who is doing what work, and won't know what part I'll be responsible for during discussion or presentation. Thus, no matter what I'm supposed to do, I'll be able to do it. I never ask any one in the group what to do, how I should prepare myself, etc. I'm effectively independent, yet reporting the same stuff.

I sit quietly and try to keep us on track to reach our goal. I’ll bring the talk back to actions.
Most of the time I’m absolutely cringing inside because there is so much talk about things not on subject and when we are on subject everything has to be repeated because there is always someone who didn’t listen or arrived late.
Hate groups. I work well independently and remind my supervisors this often!

Assigned by the teacher the last.
Earlier I was quite actively taking over workload and trying to organize if nobody could do that - now others think I'm doing nothing while I'm trying to help but they won't communicate with me properly

Home, ideas person.
Best, most efficient way of completing something.
But,
I do offer my idea and ask for suggestions from all.
(There maybe something I’ve missed)

Workplace, - prefer to try to keep my mouth shut, head down, stay in background and get paid not sacked.

(Can only remember being in a position whereby bosses asked me for ideas once,
all other jobs, just a payroll number, never there long enough to matter)

Sports teams, always defending.
Not goalie.
In a position to change direction of play before opposition presumed scoring was going to be easy :)

Struggling to remember other groups I’ve been involved in that didn’t have clearly defined roles.

Choir - alto.
School - student.
Family - mum, wife, daughter, aunt, sister, cousin.

I have always preferred being given tasks, and completing my part of projects, accordingly, as opposed to being in command, and, fortunately, this has always been my experience/role in groups/ group projects.

I usually would figure out whichever part could be done alone and by one person and take that one. Do it, bring it back to the group and I'm done. :)

Role in a group project? Well, in Elementary and Middle school, my classmates tended to have me do all of THEIR work for THEM. Never understood why. They usually talked about arbitrary nonsense such as gossip, who did what, who broke up with whom, while I was just sitting there, carrying them.

Group projects are difficult. I've learned that some people have no creativity, only want to do the minimum, and can't adhere to a deadline. I'm a contributor, but don't want to be in charge. I expect everyone to do their best, and I am too often ticked off by laziness and lame excuses. I have to admit that my standards are often too high. The best way to get 100 is by doing 120. God forbid you should learn more in the process.

I many times seem to end up as the leader without ability to lead.

What I find stranger how I and other thought I should be in lead, not only in groups projects, but also in conversations, and the fact that I was elected and accepted being a student council for two years.

Leader. My ability to lead varies, depending on what the project is. If the project needs a leader who is excellent at brainstorming, analyzing, problem solving, just making sure everyone is doing their part, then I'm the right person.

But I'd been assigned to leader roles in the past when I was not good for the job. For example, I hate micromanaging people. It's hard for me to resolve conflicts when there are people in the group I get annoyed with very easily. Last time I was in this sort of role, I snapped at someone in a condescending way (I think my words were something like, "If you can't act like a mature adult then you don't belong here."), which made people feel like they needed to walk on egg shells around me. I'd done similar stuff in the past (got into arguments with supervisors, insulted fellow employees, etc).

From those experiences, I learned how to respond to conflicts more appropriately. If I feel that it would be too hard for me, then I would decline the leader role and try to do something else.

Hiding in a corner. Everyone else is chatting and brainstorming. I'm working alone and planning revisions and edits to their work.

Group projects??? :frowning:
dreamsrunningaway.png

New Threads

Top Bottom