• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

what's next for gaming technological breakthroughs ?

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
I mean the new PlayStation 4 probably has the most realistic gaming experience you could get without it being virtual reality, from what I've saw from a game trailer. So what's next for the ground breaking technology ? I mean are we just going to go more realistic from here on out or copy the Nintendo and come out with a brand new way of playing games ?

Last edited:
3D like 3D movies - that's what I think is coming next. Nintendo are already experimenting with it with the 3DS, eventually we will have movie quality 3D graphics.

I think too much realism is going to make the new games get a bit stagnant though - The closer you get to realism, the more similar every game is going to be to all the other games within it's respective genre. I think this effect is already pretty visible in racing simulators - on their most basic level, all racing simulators now are pretty much the same, they use the same control scheme, the physics are the most accurate and realistic that they can be with the technology available, and then end up relying on unsubstantial gimmicks to differentiate them from other racing simulators.

I agree some sort of 3d game by wearing glasses would be cool using elements from a lot of gaming systems would be good like sims but more real or a projection which is interactive I know a bit star treky but always been a dream

The next groundbreaking "technology" an even more clever way to implement microtransactions.

I've went over some ideas on these microtransactions with a friend of mine who is a gamedesigner himself. Though, of course better graphics are always on the rise as is 3d. Oculus rift still is a thing even if Facebook acquired it. There are a few other implementations to make a game feel more "real" and some have been around in varying stages already. I remember there was some kind of vest with little mechanisms on it that give you impact hits if you're being shot. And a bit longer ago, I remember there was a company (not sure if it was Phillips) who even had small desktop fans that would react to the game to simulate a breeze and such. And there's also been a system in it's early stages where you physically walk on a device (stationairy) as means of walking.

The more I think about breakthroughs, the more I think about movies like Surrogates and Gamer, where you control a physical being (nanobot controlled human or a robot), with perhaps a few risks here and there attached. It could get you killed. Not sure how such ideas will fly over for governments, but I guess there's a market for that. Besides; it would put something at stake as well for actual tournaments.

I guess the issue for me is time. The more time spent on making a game 'realistic' and giving better graphics can remove investment in good gameplay mechanics and making sure the game isn't buggy.
I mean, I understand good gameplay over graphics isn't an overly unpopular opinion, but I mean we have to realise that double the resolution in graphics means double the money in the graphics department and double the time in there too.
I mean, name ONE gam with great graphicse that has less current bugs than letters in its name.

I think there's going to be a lot of leaps with the full-body gameplay mechanics. You can only go so far with realism, and the appeal for 3D gaming is still pretty limited (the 3DS has sold less than 1/3 the units the DS has sold, and a fraction of the games). Besides, I think the rise of full-body control mechanics will help make 3D more viable.

With the new generation Kinect and its improved data throughput (the limiting factor of the old Kinect, the Kinect itself was actually quite powerful), as well as the progress made by Leap Motion, I think we're just seeing the very early stages of these types of games, particularly among the RPG and FPS gaming groups, where such an interface greatly adds to the experience, when done properly.

With the new generation Kinect and its improved data throughput (the limiting factor of the old Kinect, the Kinect itself was actually quite powerful), as well as the progress made by Leap Motion, I think we're just seeing the very early stages of these types of games, particularly among the RPG and FPS gaming groups, where such an interface greatly adds to the experience, when done properly.
Actually because the kinect is only on one console, it won't be used much. A game developer ideally wants to make their game cross-platform, and so there is less reason to even utilise the kinect on certain games.

Actually because the kinect is only on one console, it won't be used much. A game developer ideally wants to make their game cross-platform, and so there is less reason to even utilise the kinect on certain games.

Actually, that's not true. The original Kinect can be hooked up to a computer. People have already used it to control existing games, like World of Warcraft. The new Kinect that ships with the Xbox One does use a proprietary connection, but there is also a computer version being released, complete with official SDK.

That said, the game companies that innovate on this type of technology aren't all that interested in cross platform play, especially when it come to console games. The market is heavily single platform. The most you'd get from games like this is maybe Xbox, Windows, and PlayStation, and Microsoft is heavily pushing for platform level crossover between the Xbox and computer, so Xbox games would run on Windows pretty much by default (the Xbox One actually runs Windows 8).

Ideally, a game would be cross platform, but the reality is that most aren't, or are limited in what platforms are supported (and the quality of the port).

Actually, that's not true. The original Kinect can be hooked up to a computer. People have already used it to control existing games, like World of Warcraft. The new Kinect that ships with the Xbox One does use a proprietary connection, but there is also a computer version being released, complete with official SDK.

That said, the game companies that innovate on this type of technology aren't all that interested in cross platform play, especially when it come to console games. The market is heavily single platform. The most you'd get from games like this is maybe Xbox, Windows, and PlayStation, and Microsoft is heavily pushing for platform level crossover between the Xbox and computer, so Xbox games would run on Windows pretty much by default (the Xbox One actually runs Windows 8).

Ideally, a game would be cross platform, but the reality is that most aren't, or are limited in what platforms are supported (and the quality of the port).
But what I meant by that is that game companies and publishers are designed to make profits. Innovation and a great idea are one thing, but for the fact that the kinect has a bad reputation in my experience and would limit the audience it can be given to - people who buy the xbox or those who buy the kinect and have the knowledge to implement it in their hardware. And so I am fully aware of the fact that there are developers who are willing to innovate for the tech, it is too much of a risk for most, which limits the amount of games available.

New Threads

Top Bottom