• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Would You Do If You Could Be An NT For 1 Week ???

I'm from the upper reaches of Appalachia very near West Virginia,so in effect,you could call me a hillbilly...yet another one who might like to school ya a bit.
Y'all drink warm beer,cook bland food,have silly laws,monarchy that does exactly what except ride on your coattails,way too many accents for how small your country is,a camera on nearly every place they want to look atcha,make very crappy cars and a have hatred for the very people who tossed your oppressive and tyranical butts out of here many years ago. For a long while,y'all basically tried to defeat any country that you wanted to and call it your own and have very strong opinions about things you know little or nothing about.
Y'all gotta let me know if I missed anything,we ain't very eddicated from here in the hills ;)

You missed something ...

They also have little but contempt for the very people who bailed their sorry asses out in WWII ... with guns I might add ... lots of them. Things weren't looking good until we stepped into the fray.

Don't get me wrong though. I love the Brits. It's much like one loves a tiny dog who thinks he is much bigger and more important than he really is. You just have to smile :), and then tease the hell out of him. :p:D;)

Not just guns... But our guns. Remember the Lend Lease act

You missed something ...

They also have little but contempt for the very people who bailed their sorry asses out in WWII ... with guns I might add ... lots of them. Things weren't looking good until we stepped into the fray.

Don't get me wrong though. I love the Brits. It's much like one loves a tiny dog who thinks he is much bigger and more important than he really is. You just have to smile :), and then tease the hell out of him. :p:D;)

You missed something ...

I didn't want to bring that up :p

I, too, would spend the entire week mightily wishing to be Autie again! :cool:
While I do have some significant challenges and require supports, my autistic experience is about amazing enthusiasm for my passions, joy in movement or sensory pleasures, and a delightfully rich, vivid, captivating, colorful Inner World.

Many Aspies do wish they could socialize easier. My autism means that I do not value that. I have deep, warm, caring feelings for those I know, but it would *simply never occur to me* to socialize, make a new friend, etc. I have never been lonely. I can yearn for a specific person I miss, but not be lonely. I am content with my own company. I am happy to see someone I know, but no urge to seek others out. My autism means I love those I know, but I have never been lonely.

Another perk is that if people snub me, I may (or may not) initially feel stung, but immediately after am back to my dominant default state of Inner World. While I totally understand the pull of Inner World is not always safe, I am content there. Rejection hurts everyone, but I really have no desire to fit in. If someone doesn't like me, they would make an unsuitable friend anyway. Know?

On a happy, practical note, I like you, Hopeless Aspie. I want you to enjoy a sense of inclusion. Could you find a social group in your area for Aspies? I went to one a few times, but couldn't handle that many people in a room. Talk about amazing people, though! VERY accepting, understanding, SMART, (the brain power in that room!) and so welcoming and supportive of eachother's differences! Just a consideration to try. Or not! ;)

We all have our unique set of challenges to face that even include those that are labeled as neurotypical. No single person is exempt from psychological issues,plain and simple. To divide yourself from others based on neurological differences is totally insane and not very healthy. My dividing line between friend and foe is how I have been treated by them,not how their brains work.

Many of us have lead full and meaningful lives as persons who reside on the autism spectrum. Because so many are on it and just have learned to cope on their own without the help of professionals,they may never be discovered or even noticed. My autism was missed by dozens of braniacs who weren't there to look at that part of me,but address my brain damage.
I in fact pointed it out to them and let them both agree and learn about what an autistic savant is in real time and not from an interpretation written in some silly book by someone who thought they knew. This savant is eidetic with an off the hook IQ and the ability to use it for the betterment of himself AND mankind. I didn't find my niche most of the time,my niches found me or I blazed the trail to them.

Profoundly deep spectrum non-verbals require the most assistance and as humans climb the ladders of the spectrum towards what they consider high functioning,the need for help diminishes. The biggest flaw in understanding psychology is the fact that it is nothing more than a series of educated guesses as to what goes on inside the brain of another person.

It would be a pretty sure bet that most of us have a lack of understanding of how interpersonal relationships must be built.
It would also be a fair bet that it also goes on inside the NT world ;)
Some with autism like me,figured out what people wanted to hear and were able to communicate with NTs on the levels they expect. Others may never be able to achieve that goal in life. Complaining about a change you can't make will hinder your ability to overcome a challenge. The best way to achieve total failure is to not even try ;)

The autism spectrum is not a guarantee of anything such as greatness,knowledge or success.Neither is the neurotypical world.

A successful career is built on abilities and proper education,not magic in any neurological setting.
Some of us were gifted with great intelligence,while other got left holding the bag. We on the spectrum generally thrive on logic and value learning,either from others or on our own. Sometimes people choose to do neither,but generally I would consider them as setting their own stage for a life at a total loss.

When the OP begins to understand a bit more about the possibilities with autism,he may find that there are many of us that are very specialized human beings who do not muddle thru life and cry about being different,we accept our challenges and make the best of what we are not challenged with. I,like many others celebrate my diversity and see it as a distinct advantage in a very challenging world.

Last edited:
Would I even want to be NT?

My experiences with the crowd I was expected to hang with was off-the-wall EXCRUCIATING boredom.
It might be different if you had the skills to maneuver in that world ( I never have) . Most Aspies are intelligent enough to know where there weaknesses are and play to there strengths.

It might be different if you had the skills to maneuver in that world ( I never have) . Most Aspies are intelligent enough to know where there weaknesses are and play to there strengths.

I have developed the set of skills and techniques to be able to respond accordingly to social stimuli and express enjoyment in those situations (all artificially, but convincingly).

I still don't understand how any enjoyment could be "harnessed" from it, though. It's pointless for me, although I'm quite a good actor in these cases and actually wanted the meetings to work for me.

Rocking chairs are way more fun!

I've always wondered what I would do. I'm still not sure. I guess I would take better care of myself and get a job. But I'm so high functioning right now that doctors can't even make up their minds if I even have an ASD or not. (Even though I clearly did at age 3.)

The thing that puzzles me most about NT behavior is that compulsion towards conformity. Of course that also depends on the person, but I feel that I would wonder if I really liked stuff or not.

What I'd do is go to any place that NTs go to and socialize and hang out with friends. Things I can't do because I'm an aspie.

I would finally have the necessary to make a good video. And, because I have been Aspie previously and will be at next week, I'd have no issue by doing all recordings fast and care of all other details outside this period.

I've only known the title of my AS for 6 months now although I've always known I was "different". I don't have a clue to the positive side of this yet. I love my unique self whether or not anyone else does. I have a great heart, BUT, being nice doesn't pay the bills. I need income, but how do I explain Asperger's to NT empolyers?????? Fear comes over me at the very thought of the job interview. I don't know how to take that 1st step. I'm a 12 year old girl with an adult body.
Yes! Same! I feel forever 11 or 12. Tomboy who climbs trees.

I feel with you on this. I've no idea how I'd have coped with diagnosis pre-current job. I do horribly at interviews anyway. Having knowledge of my deficits would probably sabotage myself. I can say that you have every right to work and there will be something for you. If my work as a diesel mechanic falls through, I want to be a shopping centre cleaner.

I would spend some of that time wearing a full face of make up and spend an entire day in it. I would go into a shoe store and try on the biggest red stillettos imaginable. I would take a photo of myself doing selfie duck face. I would go to a Taylor Swift show to see if I understood, or felt, the attraction to her music. I would get my B-double truck licence. I would wear a cropped t at the gym. I would tell a child Santa is real.

Heck, I am married to an NT. We get along fine :)

OMG!! Your avatar looks like he/she is such an arriogant know-it-all. But I like it :p

You missed something ...

You nearly got wiped out by north korea (seriously, back when this threat was being made some of us brits were already writing your eulogy and missing your TV shows). And also, being british, the word to describe us is in the official name of our country 'Great'. We're team GB- (GREAT Britain). Oh and hehe, unlike you americans we don't have the 'american dream', you know why? Because here in the UK we're awake!! And don't forget our unofficial national anthem- rule britannia (with union jacks waving in the breeze of the oceans we used for our ancient conquests).

When the OP begins to understand a bit more about the possibilities with autism,he may find that there are many of us that are very specialized human beings who do not muddle thru life and cry about being different,we accept our challenges and make the best of what we are not challenged with. I,like many others celebrate my diversity and see it as a distinct advantage in a very challenging world.
The possiblities vary depending on where you live and what you do. The question I posted was hyperthetical and for fun only.

I have developed the set of skills and techniques to be able to respond accordingly to social stimuli and express enjoyment in those situations (all artificially, but convincingly).
Yes this is the thing, it's weird that we do what we think they want to see or hear. When you're around aspies, what dop you do then instead though?
But I'm so high functioning right now that doctors can't even make up their minds if I even have an ASD or not.
HFA,ASD, they can't even make up their minds whether aspergers exists or not. I always pictured autism as a really bad thing that required a helper with you 24/7 whereas having aspergers was just a difference in your outlook on the world and your ibnteractions with it.
Yes! Same! I feel forever 11 or 12. Tomboy who climbs trees.
Ooh, another kid in an adults body too.

You nearly got wiped out by north korea (seriously, back when this threat was being made some of us brits were already writing your eulogy and missing your TV shows). And also, being british, the word to describe us is in the official name of our country 'Great'. We're team GB- (GREAT Britain). Oh and hehe, unlike you americans we don't have the 'american dream', you know why? Because here in the UK we're awake!! And don't forget our unofficial national anthem- rule britannia (with union jacks waving in the breeze of the oceans we used for our ancient conquests).

Q.E.D.

possiblities vary depending on where you live and what you do. The question I posted was hyperthetical and for fun only.

What? "Great" Britain not offering enough possibilities? Say it ain't so! :rolleyes:

New Threads

Top Bottom