• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What would you Change/Not Change, about your ASD?

Knowing your Aspie self, what part would u change, what part would u keep of yourself?

• l would completely change myself

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • l would change 1/2 of myself

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • l am learning to be comfortable in my uncomfortableness (sp)

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters
I would change my inability to feel comfortable living alone,
because I don't feel comfortable living with someone else either.

That's like being behind one of those things built to hold back water.
If you do or if you don't. o_O

I would keep my keen awareness and problem solving abilities.

So far it seems like half of the replies, people are comfortable to some extent, and the other group is coming to grips with what they perceive to be limitations with daily interactions.

I would change my inability to feel comfortable living alone,
because I don't feel comfortable living with someone else either.
That's like being behind one of those things built to hold back water.
If you do or if you don't. o_O

I would keep my keen awareness and problem solving abilities.
l love living alone. To live with someone, you have to have several bedrooms, at least.

I would change the way I can't always control the volume of my voice, issues with sarcasm, social issues especially in groups and interviews(! Just had a 3 person panel today for an interview -ugh) , and mental exhaustion from trying to maintain friendships.

I think just about everything else I like or am trying to learn to like.

l actually had a group interview and they did a video camera on a company's laptop at the same time, omg, serious overload, wtf people??????? You just gotta love the corporate greedbags turning us into good little work slaves.

That's awful. Mine wasn't even in the corporate side. My interview today was with the government.

My interview was overload, l had about four people and l was trying not to stare at myself on the laptop which show me in real time, it was all to confusing, and l bombed in the interview.

that's terrible! I don't think interviews are the best way to just be whether someone will be a good employee. They're kind of like standardized tests for the "business world".

My interview was overload, l had about four people and l was trying not to stare at myself on the laptop which show me in real time, it was all to confusing, and l bombed in the interview.

First job :

15 people round a horseshoe table all looking at me.

Got the job.

Nobody else showed up.

I still suspect it wasn't a guaranteed thing..

I wouldn't change my Asperger's - I've had time to adjust and become comfortable with this particular revelation. What I would change is bad decisions I made in my youth as a result of my then undiagnosed Asperger's.

But who doesn't do stupid things, a lot of kids do, if their parents aren't standing right over them. A lot of these same kids don't have Aspergers, they just aren't mature enough to make good choices.

But who doesn't do stupid things, a lot of kids do, if their parents aren't standing right over them. A lot of these same kids don't have Aspergers, they just aren't mature enough to make good choices.
In my case, my parents were telling me not to do things, but I wasn't listening, insisting on my way, doing my thing, and this is because of stubborness and wanting to pursue some obession I had which lead to a dead end, rather than that which would put in a good position to have successful, productive and stable future.

We all make our own path to journey on, you can't really say l should have, if only l did this. You are here now living in the moment, everthing else just fades to black.

Hi, it's not as much as 1/2 of myself I would change...perhaps 1/16. .
By nature, im a really caring and empathic aspie with hyperfocus abilities into others feelings and moods/body language ...SO I would most definately change my aweful reactions to people when they irritate me, or if I'm in sensory overload. I am a very strong person who has done a lot of work on self improvement and spiritual growth, but that behaviour is one I can't seem to get rid of as much as I try. I have learned to manage it a bit better though. I would also change whatever it is that stands in the way of Me and close friendships (whatever it may be! I wish I knew exactly !) :)

I'm not sure that I will ever be completely comfortable with myself. I'm beginning to think that is the human condition ... never quite comfortable and, therefore, forever striving. Perhaps it is hardwired for evolutionary success.

I will say that I am more accepting of myself as the years roll along. I suppose you get to a point where you realize that you don't have much choice, but to accept things as they are. It's that or kill yourself trying to bend the world to your vision.

As for knowing what is causing my 'weirdness', it is always nice to understand what's going on. But, understanding doesn't necessarily lead to acceptance.

I guess as a late speech developmental autie, this poll or thread doesn't apply to me ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom