• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What to do in Racist/bigoted situation ? Halpp

SimplyWandering

My mom's neighbor died this year and she had no living relatives (we believe both her and her late brother were both on the spectrum).

Her estate transferred to the lawyer and he hired a company to do construction/renovations. My mom saw the person doing the construction and ask what they were doing inquiring specifically about he she could go about getting estimates.

the lawyer/owner heard about this came over another day and started screaming at her, cursing and using anti-Semitic and racist terms because he assumed she was being nosy and not minding her own business "I can do whatever I want with my [deleted word] place!!!" She tried to explain, but he wouldn't let her.

she said she was scared for her life for days and quite literally shaking.

I don't usually like to get involved in situations like this, but I'm very defensive of my mom because she is also on the spectrum.

Any suggestions, before I explode at him? Only joking :rolleyes::mad:

What is your mother's explanation?

I seem to have missed the connection.
Was she given the task of over seeing the construction?

How does she feature in the renovation of her neighbor's property?

" mom saw the person doing the construction and ask what they were doing inquiring specifically about how she could go about getting estimates."

she was just trying to see if they could do an estimate on her place.

"she was just trying to see if they could do an estimate on her place. "

Ohhh....so it was a misunderstanding on the part of the lawyer.
He thought she was meddling in affairs that did not concern her,
while she was trying to get information about how to get an
estimate on her own property.

That doesn't excuse him using insulting language, though.

I remember playing this game in primary school as a child. All the kids get in a circle, the teacher whispers a sentence to the first child, that child whispers the sentence to the next child, and so on around the circle of children. Then, the last child says out loud what the sentence was,...and we all laugh because it was never what the teacher said to the first child. I say something to you. You "repeat" it to someone else. They "repeat" it to another person. All the while, the narrative becomes more and more blurred and inaccurate. Throw in a bit of "attitude" and "bias", and you can really mess things up.

Looks like communication was misinterpreted pretty much right away.

Side note: Before people actually wrote things down, our history, culture, and religious teachings were all verbally passed down from generation-to-generation, 100s, if not thousands of years. Makes me wonder how inaccurate all of this became before it actually got written down.

Last edited:
It is completely inexcusable for anyone to behave this way.

Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do. All you can do is comfort your mom and suggest she stay away from this lawyer and the work going on. You might also help your mom get estimates for the work she wants done from a different company.

This lawyers behavior was so over the top it makes me wonder what he is hiding. My guess is he is padding the work on the property with a big kickback for himself. Otherwise what does he care if someone asked the work crew questions?

In my fantasy you contact the local "investigative reporter" and they uncover drugs, money laundering and maybe a murder cover up. The reporter gets an award for their work and your mom gets the satisfaction of seeing a dirt bag go the jail. Wouldn't that be sweet?

It's a great plot! Write it up! Echo and ditto on Shyster Shankly, being up to something naughty. Plus too lawyers are often into drugs. Chem induced psychosis is nasty buisness.

"I asked my friends for help with you but they all said, no."

The greatest fear of the abuser, esp a bigot, is scrutiny of the public. They fear accountability the most. Is it real or is it really dangerous? That I dont know. Sometimes abuse happens when we have to pay someone else's debt. Other people hurt them a long time ago, so now they seek to hurt us.

In my fantasy you contact the local "investigative reporter" and they uncover drugs, money laundering and maybe a murder cover up. The reporter gets an award for their work and your mom gets the satisfaction of seeing a dirt bag go the jail. Wouldn't that be sweet?

In my "fantasy" I would have simply notified the Jewish Defense League of this lawyer's name and address. Many years ago they might have made the fellow "an offer he cannot refuse". :p

Though the reality in this country remains that hateful name-calling in itself doesn't constitute a hate crime. Not much one can do but hope they never run into the schmuck again.

If you have any idea as to what company this lawyer might work for, perhaps give the company a call. Inform them, in no uncertain terms, of the behavior of this guy. Make your anger clear (but dont be rude, as it's not the fault of whoever you're talking to via phone). Tell them exactly where and when it happened. And then leave it at that.

A bully like that wont listen to the people he's pushing around. But he will listen to the much bigger dogs that pay his freaking bills. And any good company that knows their stuff typically wont put up with this sort of thing *at all* because it could lead to a bad reputation (and thus, loss of money).

New Threads

Top Bottom