• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What to call ourselves?

In DSM5-speak, I use ASD and its severity level, 1-3. I consider Aspergers to be a colloquial term for ASD-1.

Under DSM-4, they were, generally, Aspergers, High-Functioning [Kanner's] & Low-Functioning [Kanner's]. (There were other, more specific diagnoses, too.)

Between DSM-4 & 5, they were High-Functioning, Mid-Functioning & Low-Functioning Autism.

Last edited:
I'm OK with Aspie and Autism, isn't the D in ASD for Disorder? Don't like that idea.

Another reason I like "on the spectrum". I understand, but don't really like it being a disorder. Maybe it should be syndrome since there is a list of traits involved. :) Oh - wait - then the initials would be, okay, never mind.

Aspie works for me. Sounds more like a way of being, rather than having a disorder or condition. Since I don't think of myself of being wrong in any way, just different than most.

I love being called "ASPIE".

I would need to be aware not everyone with Asperger's Syndromes likes to be called or described as an ASPIE.

It occurred to me that since the DSM5 was updated to merge "Asperger's" into ASD, to use the term Aspie will eventually become confusing and obsolete.

Should we adopt a more current term so youngsters or more recent diagnosees can more easily carry the torch? or would it just muddy the waters and make things more confusing?

How about "autie" or something like "ottie". Of course the former would require a bit less explaining, but maybe more explaining would be a good thing?

Is this a crappy idea? I'm sure this is probably flawed for some reason, but I'm just wingin' it here. The thought just popped into my head today and I can't get it out. Duh.
That is all.
Asperger's is a well defined subcategory of autism, and I will continue to use it. I suspect the merging was done for the sake of convenience in medical coding. Makes it easier for the NTs to understand as they mindlessly type in numbers.

To my mind, "autie" sounds like either a German car or an inverted belly button.

Only other thing I do object to is my Mother frequently telling people I'm "Special Needs". not being funny Mum but contrary to popular belief I am NOT "Special".

Did you just call me "inverted"? Hey man, my outie is 100% normal to me. I'm so insulted. :p
full
An outie should replace the puzzle piece as the symbol for autism...!

It occurred to me that since the DSM5 was updated to merge "Asperger's" into ASD, to use the term Aspie will eventually become confusing and obsolete.

Should we adopt a more current term so youngsters or more recent diagnosees can more easily carry the torch? or would it just muddy the waters and make things more confusing?

How about "autie" or something like "ottie". Of course the former would require a bit less explaining, but maybe more explaining would be a good thing?

Is this a crappy idea? I'm sure this is probably flawed for some reason, but I'm just wingin' it here. The thought just popped into my head today and I can't get it out. Duh.
That is all.

I think it is critical that the dialogue about neurodiversity widen to the NT world so that inclusion begins in earnest.

I would call us neurodiverse so that we become activists for neurodiversity and inclusion so that we can have fulfilling lives and full participation. Can’t happen unless we start right now talking about neurodiversity and inclusion. What does that look like in society? In academia? And in the business world or world of employment?

New Threads

Top Bottom