• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What things do you like and dislike about the way people talk?

I'm pretty sure that people here in the UK judge me because of my Canadian accent, so I don't know whether it's an ASD thing for me to be annoyed by accents (or to be able to identify different Canadian and American accents).

They think you are amarica and not a friendly good old Canadian. Find a place to wear the leaf, and wear it proud. It may sound silly with the way I worded it, but if you have a good nonchalant place to signify your Canadian, generally you are better recepted

i believe in communication as a way of exchanging facts and idea's
i find anything other than that extremely tiring
what i hate in NT communication
-1- is the emotional clutter, denial, seeking blame, evasion, rationalisation etc

example someone wants to break up with me:
- 5 min discussion: just say you want to break up and give me an adequate reason
- 60 min discussion: don't start squirming, weaving your sense of guilt into it, trying to justify it to yourself, trying to make it look like a good thing, bla bla bla

same applies to someone asking you to do something that they know you won't want to:
- 5 min: hey i know its not fun for you, but could you please do this for me for this reason
- 60 min discussion: don't start squirming, weaving your sense of guilt into it, trying to justify it to yourself, trying to make it look like a good thing, bla bla bla

same applies to people telling you about something they did or somewhere they went
- 5 min: i went there, it was nice, reason it was nice
- 60 min: an extensive detailed extensive description of every micro sub event
example: i had an argument with person x about his/her behaviour, it wasn't nice, we found common ground, we are still friends RATHER than he said.., then i said..., the he said ..., then I said, and i felt ..., and he/she's an...., how dare he/she ..., i feel so insulted ..., who does he/she thin he/she is... OR taking more time discussing whose fault something is than it would take to solve the problem itself

i hate the above because i already tend to know how a conversation factually will end, so i'm stuck listening to a bunch of emotional nonsense, i have nothing left to do but tolerate the other person till they are done, getting more and more irritated as time passes,

just get over yourself and say what you have to say

-2- on its own i find repetition highly annoying, i don't like doing it and like hearing it even less, what makes it worse is when repetition creeps in to problem -1-

stop winging, get over yourself and solve the f*cking problem instead of going on about consequences that have already happened, and how it makes you feel

i've actually gotten to the point with some people where i've told them that don't care what they are feeling, that's their problem, they should deal with it on their own time without me, after we've solved the problem at hand

i guess that may be why i don't have many friends, but that a number of people do appreciate me, if they are able to get over themselves

-3- i hate having to talk to people that think feeling 'emotionally' passionate about something somehow makes their thought(s) 'logically and factually accurate', these people are a waste of time and are just emotional exhibitionists that are not interested in a productive conversation, but are only interested in affirming the identity that is popular or that they identify with

-4- i hate it when people massacre a language, making longer words shorter, not respecting grammar, use nouns as verbs, massacre the declination of verbs etc, and try and pass it off as new culture rather than laziness, stupidity, and a pitiful need to belong

Last edited:
It's not just neuro typicals ,people on the autism spectrum expect you to be able to communicate ,because I have a problem with written English I get the "I don't understand frequently "I did drives me nuts !as I'm shattered from just tried to do my Half accurate English .

I can see that, @Streetwise, no surprise it's frustrating to you. However, your style is rather easy to ge
I wouldn't say anything if I disagree with anybody about anything I'm always made to look bad!!!!!!

You're not bad though, @Streetwise. Proper English is not that important and your style is easy to get used to (similar thing as with all the different accent of English language). I really value your feedback in all the threads.

I can see that, @Streetwise, no surprise it's frustrating to you. However, your style is rather easy to ge

You're not bad though, @Streetwise. Proper English is not that important and your style is easy to get used to (similar thing as with all the different accent of English language). I really value your feedback in all the threads.
Thanks

Is your avatar any reference to Edgar Allen Poe I know it's not A raven but it looks like the artwork you always see associated with Edgar Allen Poe

Do you see ravens where you live ? I see crows and jackdaws never seen a raven apart from in the media
I used to see them all the time in my origin country but there are none here. Kinda miss their cries, just like other people miss seagulls'. They're bigger than other black or grey coloured birds, a bit more bulky, smart like hell. Very beautiful too.

Grammar Nazis and people who obsess about exactly how what is said or written are the worst. There is a time and place for proper English, but I find when it is not those situations, as long as the message is understood, it shouldn't be such a big deal. English as a language doesnt make much sence, but It can be understood through tough thorough thought, though.
I think you meant to say grammar Nazi's :D

I like the different accents and dialects within one country/language. I like being able to tell where someone is from based on their accent. I'm okay with determining this in the US, but I can't tell much with the UK. Right now we have started watching Downtown Abbey, and I wish I could tell where the characters are supposed to be from based on their different accents. I think UK watchers would automatically know and therefore know a bit more about the characters and their backgrounds and how else that might influence their attitudes and relationships with each other. For example, as soon as I knew one of the characters was American, I guessed at her entire backstory before it was spoken about in the program.

Okay, I've posted a separate thread asking about Downtown Abbey accents: A question about accents on Downtown Abbey

I think my favorite accent for the English language is currently South African. To me it sounds very cute :) Also the way Australians tend to end their sentences with an upward lilt - in the US that usually makes it a question. So I was watching some show about tough Australian gang members, and the gang member kept ending his sentences like that (which to Americans would sound cutesy) and I kept laughing :)

When I traveled to the deep South, I kept hoping to hear someone talking like Blanche Devereaux from the Golden Girls - didn't happen, lol! I love that accent, but I don't know if anyone really speaks like that anymore. I also like a South Carolina accent. And I like when little children speak with either a Boston accent (which sounds tough to me), or a prim English accent (which makes them sound like little dolls to me!).

As for things I don't like....when people don't say what they really mean, rather they expect you to pick up on the underlying message....when the actual intention of the conversation has nothing to do with the data being transmitted. I tend to miss that while it's happening, and only now learn to pick up on it afterwards even based on reading Aspie books that have explained it to me....very important stuff to know.

I hate conversational baiting. I have a co-worker who is doing this - there's always the threat of her asking a nosey question that would put me in a bad light if I answered, but also in a bad light if I refused - giving her a reason to put me down either way, whether for answering or for being "rude" by not answering - it leaves me uncomfortable nonstop. I hate verbal assaults and attacks - I hate when words are used as weapons, bombs, etc. I just like for words to convey data and love :). Or actually, sincerity. It doesn't all have to be positive stuff, but at least sincere stuff - I don't like hidden games beneath words. If they are obvious games, then it can be funny - like comedy - but I don't like indirect meanness, even if it is funny to other people, because I will always wind up being an easy target - it's only a matter of time before people figure that out about me.

Last edited:
Why does the plural form of Nazi require an apostrophe?
I was making a joke about being a grammar Nazi, whose grammatical correction was wrong! Clearly I was being too subtle.

Actually since I'm not a grammar Nazi I have no idea whether the apostrophe is needed.

[attempt at humour]
Perhaps I should have added a disclaimer that my post was meant to be humourous, and not to be taken as literal. I'll try and remember that for future Witty. Thanks buddy.
[/attempt at humour]

I was making a joke about being a grammar Nazi, whose grammatical correction was wrong! Clearly I was being too subtle.

Actually since I'm not a grammar Nazi I have no idea whether the apostrophe is needed.

[attempt at humour]
Perhaps I should have added a disclaimer that my post was meant to be humourous, and not to be taken as literal. I'll try and remember that for future Witty. Thanks buddy.
[/attempt at humour]

No worries. Intention is easily lost with the toneless nature of writing.

Being from South Yorkshire, and having previously lived in a College in Lincolnshire full of North Londoners, I hate the Cockney accent.

The annoying thing was, back then I was only just turned 17 and spoke a LOT softer and less broad than I do now, but I still got stick from the Southerners for my Northern accent.

Talk about North/South divide... And don't even get me started on the ones who think anything North of the M25 is in another Universe according to them.

As a result I refuse to watch Eastenders, and I think Only Fools and Horses was massively overrated.

Last edited:
Being from South Yorkshire, and having previously lived in a College in Lincolnshire full of North Londoners, I I hate the Cockney accent.

The annoying thing was, back then I was only just turned 17 and spoke a LOT softer and less broad than I do now, but I still got stick from the Southerners for my Northern accent.

Talk about North/South divide... And don't even get me started on the ones who think anything North of the M25 is in another Universe according to them.

I was always amused with how Draco Malfoy would lapse into a cockney accent. Never seemed to make sense given his parents' accents.

Then again maybe his father wasn't Lucius Malfoy. After all, the lad did seem like quite the bastard throughout the series of Harry Potter films. :p

It's not just neuro typicals ,people on the autism spectrum expect you to be able to communicate ,because I have a problem with written English I get the "I don't understand frequently "I did drives me nuts !as I'm shattered from just tried to do my Half accurate English .
Yes, I'm one of the people who are 'guilty' of doing this, but if I don't ask, then how am I going to understand? Since you are aware of the problem communicating in written English, then you shouldn't begrudge people asking for clarification when they don't understand, they really aren't to blame. And yes, I am aware that it is a software problem and not your fault.

If I ask for clarification, it means that I am interested in what you have to say and want to make sure I understood correctly, because I don't want to misunderstand or miscommunicate. If I wasn't interested I would just skip past it and not bother. I think you need to be more patient with people asking for clarification.

New Threads

Top Bottom