• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What things do you like and dislike about the way people talk?

Voltaic

Plaidhiker@youtube
One of the problems with autism that I see daily around this form is our criticization of how other people talk, and how we're not so good at it. I also see that when we talk on this form, we are more than proficient at it maybe even more so than than other people in the format we strive in. I do not think we have an inherent disadvantage in the way we communicate, I think the way we communicate is different than how other people communicate.

So I ask you this, in what ways in which other people talk do you like and in what ways do you dislike it as well?

I'm opening up this conversation completly expecting a good amount of rants. I know you want to, and I want you to. so go hard, and go crazy

One of the problems with autism that I see daily around this form is our criticization of how other people talk, and how we're not so good at it. I also see that when we talk on this form, we are more than proficient at it maybe even more so than than other people in the format we strive in. I do not think we have an inherent disadvantage in the way we communicate, I think the way we communicate is different than how other people communicate.

So I ask you this, in what ways in which other people talk do you like and in what ways do you dislike it as well?

I'm opening up this conversation completly expecting a good amount of rants. I know you want to, and I want you to. so go hard, and go crazy
It's not just neuro typicals ,people on the autism spectrum expect you to be able to communicate ,because I have a problem with written English I get the "I don't understand frequently "I did drives me nuts !as I'm shattered from just tried to do my Half accurate English .

It's not just neuro typicals ,people on the autism spectrum expect you to be able to communicate ,because I have a problem with written English I get the "I don't understand frequently "I did drives me nuts !as I'm shattered from just tried to do my Half accurate English .

Grammar Nazis and people who obsess about exactly how what is said or written are the worst. There is a time and place for proper English, but I find when it is not those situations, as long as the message is understood, it shouldn't be such a big deal. English as a language doesnt make much sence, but It can be understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Grammar Nazis and people who obsess about exactly how what is said or written are the worst. There is a time and place for proper English, but I find when it is not those situations, as long as the message is understood, it shouldn't be such a big deal. English as a language doesnt make much sence, but It can be understood through tough thorough thought, though.
I wouldn't say anything if I disagree with anybody about anything I'm always made to look bad!!!!!!

I like it when people talk candidly yet with regard for the feelings of others. Parsing through piles of words takes time (which I admittedly have plenty of these days) and patience (which I get short on). That said, the different communication styles can sometimes be as instructive to me as the topics are.

When people in the media talk. Compressing as many words as possible into a sound bite. It makes me crazy, as if somehow we can actually process it all. Announcers of anything make me especially insane.

When people say vapid stuff and think they are cute. I like people who think and pause and let you talk ,too. People who are into ideas. I cannot stand the way people are obliged to talk and make you obliged to talk , too

When teachers consistently use incorrect grammar it drives me nuts. I do my best to not look down on people who use incorrect grammar. Shoot, sometimes I do it to. But when a molder of young minds has terrible grammar I almost cannot contain myself. If anyone should use proper English, it's teachers.

I'll step off the soap box before I become offensive. I really do respect how hard teaching is. It's not something I would sign up to do.

The only time I really get annoyed at the way people talk is when they are unnecessarily loud. For example, when some people (usually girls) shout "Oh my God!" in that awful, high-pitched voice whenever they see someone they know out in public, or when others (usually guys) talk as loud as possible with their friends because they're "manly" and want everyone in the room to see them as the dominant presence.

Basically, I just don't like loud, obnoxious people.

When teachers consistently use incorrect grammar it drives me nuts. I do my best to not look down on people who use incorrect grammar. Shoot, sometimes I do it to. But when a molder of young minds has terrible grammar I almost cannot contain myself. If anyone should use proper English, it's teachers.

I'll step off the soap box before I become offensive. I really do respect how hard teaching is. It's not something I would sign up to do.

For extra effect you should edit your post to read :

‘Its teachers’

In the past I’ve often made the same mistake that I’ve complained about. (Sort of try to do it deliberately now)
Now me or my wife will say ‘hoisted’

Shortened from hoisted by my own petard.

I even say hoisted to myself about my own mistake as I’m making it.

Life has got much easier now I don’t really care if I’m wrong or right.
I like saying ‘hoisted ‘ :)

I really like accents and colloquial terms.

Like the Scottish " tatties 'n' neeps" (potatoes and turnips)

The Northern Irish (Belfast?/Lisburn? "Hoy bite ye" - How about you? - How are you?

One word I have to wonder about and how far and wide it's understood is the word "Dunno"

It's a lazy way to say "I don't know"
Those that don't use it still understand it's meaning even though; as far as I'm aware, the words "I don't know" haven't been abreviated or shortened in any formal way.

I find that some British accents annoy me (too bad I'm living in the UK). I do like some British accents but some are really unbearable (particularly the ones that sound like the person thinks they're smarter than everyone else). I really feel more comfortable talking to someone with a nice Canadian accent, or even most American accents. It really makes all the difference to how I feel about a person when I first meet them.

I'm pretty sure that people here in the UK judge me because of my Canadian accent, so I don't know whether it's an ASD thing for me to be annoyed by accents (or to be able to identify different Canadian and American accents), but sometimes when I hear someone speak, it feels almost the same as hearing a really annoying noise.

Also, I really can't stand it when someone (e.g. on TV or in movies) speaks with a fake accent. It sounds so forced and unnatural to me, and I seem to be better than other people at noticing that.

The thing that annoys me most about when people talk is when they lie. That is the primary way in which people on the spectrum differ from NTs in communication habits.

I really like accents and colloquial terms.

Like the Scottish " tatties 'n' neeps" (potatoes and turnips)

The Northern Irish (Belfast?/Lisburn? "Hoy bite ye" - How about you? - How are you?

One word I have to wonder about and how far and wide it's understood is the word "Dunno"

It's a lazy way to say "I don't know"
Those that don't use it still understand it's meaning even though; as far as I'm aware, the words "I don't know" haven't been abreviated or shortened in any formal way.

Northern Ireland:

How’s she cuttin’?

Formal answer :

To the full of the blade.

Dunno. Used to use it a lot. Now I tend towards a scooby do impression, if you remember how he says it.. or she..

Any person who thinks they are so superior ,wants to try having a problem with writing and reading English, just try having it for a while !!!you wouldn't think you were so superior then .

I find that some British accents annoy me (too bad I'm living in the UK). I do like some British accents but some are really unbearable (particularly the ones that sound like the person thinks they're smarter than everyone else). I really feel more comfortable talking to someone with a nice Canadian accent, or even most American accents. It really makes all the difference to how I feel about a person when I first meet them.

I'm pretty sure that people here in the UK judge me because of my Canadian accent, so I don't know whether it's an ASD thing for me to be annoyed by accents (or to be able to identify different Canadian and American accents), but sometimes when I hear someone speak, it feels almost the same as hearing a really annoying noise.

Also, I really can't stand it when someone (e.g. on TV or in movies) speaks with a fake accent. It sounds so forced and unnatural to me, and I seem to be better than other people at noticing that.

The thing that annoys me most about when people talk is when they lie. That is the primary way in which people on the spectrum differ from NTs in communication habits.

I find it very interesting but also very odd that there are so many different accents for such a small place. Must make it even more difficult to understand if you are foreign.

I find it very interesting but also very odd that there are so many different accents for such a small place. Must make it even more difficult to understand if you are foreign.
My mom is English, so I can understand (most) English accents just fine, as well as Irish and even Scottish, but the one that really gets me is the Welsh accent. Sometimes I cannot understand Welsh people at all. It sounds like a different language to me, and I'm talking about when they are speaking English. The whole rhythm and melody is so hard to follow. I don't find that accent annoying, just hard to understand. I'm in Wales so this is a problem sometimes.

If you study the movement of people and history the British Isles have been invaded by so many different countries and then there is movement of people from one country to another one for instance from Scotland to England My accent is a mixture of Yorkshire ,Scottish and Irish ,there is also a German influence and the Scandinavian influence .

Reminds me of when I was in high school. I had an English teacher of all things, who was TERRIBLE at correct grammar. I could not bare it.

New Threads

Top Bottom