• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What supposedly great movies do you not like?

The machines did that in order to survive. They used the body from people to run after the sky was scorched. It's supposed to be an allegory anyway about our modern dependence on technology and the nature of reality.

Ironically in terms of an allegory of the nature of reality, I much prefer "The Thirteenth Floor" along such story lines. Oh well. Different strokes....

The Thirteenth Floor (1999) - Plot Summary - IMDb

Last edited:
  • Frozen: My hatred for this movie came from Elsa's parents hiding her away (Which I hated) and Disney!Anna living at the end of the movie, whereas Anna from Van Helsing stayed dead.
  • The Dark Knight: I don't hate this movie; I think it's actually pretty good. The problem is that geek/nerd society FORCES you to like this movie. No love for the Burton films, no giving the Schumacher run a chance, no B:TAS! Not to mention all the fanatic love Heath Ledger gets. Yes, he was a good actor. YES, he died young. He also ruined ANY creativity in movie-based copycat crimes.

The machines did that in order to survive. They used the body from people to run after the sky was scorched. It's supposed to be an allegory anyway about our modern dependence on technology and the nature of reality.
I loved the first Matrix movie but the other two were atrocious. I found out later, this is because the first movie was based off of a literary source but the sequels were fast-tracked due to the movies success rather than wait for the author to finish the sequels himself. Also, did you know the original concept for what the humans were to the machines was more akin to a neural network than a power generator? I wish they'd gone with that concept...

Anyways, I still like Dark City over the Matrix trilogy. One of my faves and all that, plus I felt the Matrix reused a lot of it's concepts a mere year later yet it never gets any credit in that "genre" ....

The Dark knight,I try to to give this movie a chance so I watched it twice but ended up disliking it more.
Frozen,while I don't absolutely hate this movie I feel it's overrated.

The Godfather - I'll extend an olive branch and suggest it's been parodied so much that it's hard to take seriously if you hadn't seen it before, but it's so boring. A fat Marlon Brando playing a "tough guy" years after he stopped trying or caring, big deal.

Jaws, The Goonies and E.T. also count. I couldn't care less about any of these movies, E.T. should have died.

Titanic - The writing was so cheesy.

I'd have thrown in Avatar if people didn't forget about it a year after it left cinemas. A whole lot of hype about nothing.

Harry Potter - The books were bad enough but the films were something else. Not only did they not fix any of the inconsistencies of the books but they were just as stupid and incoherent. The only reliable thing about them were how bad the acting and writing were and how sub-par the effects were. I bet my brother (who is a huge fan) that I could write a 500 page essay on everything wrong with Harry Potter and I'm still confident I could if I weren't so lazy.

Last edited:
I just don't really like live action movies all that much, the list of ones I like is very very short. So there are lots of 'great' movies that are just not interesting to me at all.

I tend to like animated stuff more, however lots of the more recent CGI stuff just doesn't appeal to me.

I love the first Matrix film, but yeah, the motivation of the machines made no sense. People aren't the most efficient batteries, and you still have to feed them. That food also needs to come from somewhere, and that food needs energy. The sun has been blocked out so it's not going to be solar. Perhaps geo-thermal energy could be used to grow food for the people, but then why not just harness that energy directly rather than losing most of it through a convoluted infrastructure?

The original idea of the machines using humans for processing power made a lot more sense, but unfortunately got kaiboshed by the studio because they thought that people in 1999 wouldn't be able to wrap their minds around such a concept.

In my own head cannon the "real world" in The Matrix is also a simulation. In a world where automation has left humanity without a sense of purpose the ever benevolent machines have created a virtual reality in which people can live meaningful lives. The red pill is a fail-safe for those who do not accept the late 20th century simulation they are initially presented with. It also makes the player feel like they are literally the most important person in the world while encouraging their spiritual growth. This is all my way of saying that the implausible ecology in The Matrix isn't because the film is poorly written, but because Neo is literally trapped in a dumb video game designed to make him feel way cooler than he really is.

As for "great" movies that I don't like:

Inception: I thought it was dramatically flat. The visuals were kind of cool, but not nearly as illogical as a dream world should be, in my opinion. And while a lot of people had their minds blown by this film I grew up watching Star Trek TNG, so I had seen much more mind bending naratives.

Moonlight: The story of a young African American man trying to come to terms with his homosexuality in a rough neighborhood. It could have been good. It even had some strong performances and beutiful cinematography, but it was soooo boring! So little actually happened in this movie, it felt like a 30 minute short that had been padded to be two hours long. The worst part is that the protagonist rarely spoke, or emoted, or did anything at all. A passive and inscrutable lead does not make for a compelling watch.

-Star Wars Rouge One
-Most Disney/Pixar movies, I'm just not s fan of their work.
-Despicable Me
-The Matrix

To name a few.

I'm inclined to agree with Titanic and Dune. I have seen good movies about the Titanic. I enjoyed the book Dune, at least the first one. The others I found dull. Is Frank Herbert really a woman? I always got the sense that his books were written by a women. The main aspect of Forrest Gump that I did like was that it "explained" everything.

Most of the popular movies I have not seen because I consider them too corny (Hobbit movies etc). I thought the first Star Wars movie was OK but the others (two, originally) were rather stupid. I tried to watch one of those pirate movies with Johnny Depp and turned it off after about five minutes.

I would need to see a list of movies that have won the Academy Award for Best Picture but I suspect most of them would be on my list of movies I did not like. Gone With the Wind comes to mind.

Edit: I'm adding something else here...

I dislike any "Science Fiction" movie that has sound in space. How dumb is that? Even Ridley Scott had sound in space in Alien (which I consider more of a monster movie than science fiction). Most "science fiction" movies, IMHO, deserve to be referred to by the abbreviated, dumbed-down term "Sci-Fi" and do not meet the well-established criteria of science fiction that was determined during the pulp fiction days. Most are simply "Cowboys and Indians" in space. About the only space movie I can think of that didn't have sound in space was Kubrick's 2001.

Last edited:
James Cameron's Avatar, 2/10 and that's being generous, one of THE most overrated piles of cack ever made IMO.

Terminator 3 and Salvation, after the classics that were the first 2 Terminator movies, I saw T3. Bad! And Terminator Salvation was also crap IMO.

And I know I'll get hung, drawn and quartered for this but the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy and all 5 Hobbit movies, most PANTS movie series ever IMO.

What a fantastic topic! I hate nearly every superhero movie I've ever seen. Especially the newer ones. People get so angry when I point out that the plots are derivative and the dialogue is bad. I know it's a taste thing, but I barely see it that way in this case.

What a fantastic topic! I hate nearly every superhero movie I've ever seen. Especially the newer ones. People get so angry when I point out that the plots are derivative and the dialogue is bad. I know it's a taste thing, but I barely see it that way in this case.

Do you have a favourite superhero movie, just out of curiosity?

Lord of the Rings! There's so much walking!
I've never seen Titanic, never saw the point when I know how it ends. Also, I've never seen Avatar, the trailer kinda freaked me out.

New Threads

Top Bottom