• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Reboot/Remake Would You Like To See?

Riley

I got inspiration when my mom thought the 2013 movie Oblivion (with Tom Cruise) was a remake of the 1994 sci-fi cult classic which featured George Takei, Julie Newmar, Jackie Swanson, and Meg Foster.

I'd honestly love to see a reboot/remake of Oblivion '94. Maybe as movie, or maybe as a Netflix/Amazon Prime mini-series. Who cares? I even have two people in mind for the cast: Margot Robbie (as Lash) and Michelle Pfeiffer (as Miss Kitty). The former makes sense, seeing as Lash is one of Harley Quinn's metaphorical cousins. The latter...Do I really have to explain?

Unfortunately, my love and excitement are overshadowed by everything that could go wrong:
  • SJWS and feminazis complaining about Lash "harming the image of women everywhere" or some bullhickey. For those of you not in the know: Lash is a bondage-loving seductive outlaw. A kind of character harshly frowned upon in our modern, everything-is-dehumanizing society.
  • Someone getting the 'brilliant' idea to turn the tone from "goofy comedy" to "serious deconstruction of the genre." Don't get me wrong: Those kinds of thins are great. There's...There's just too many of them. I'd really like for this to retain the original's over-the-topness.
And more!

I wouldn't mind a remake of Enter the Dragon, Bruce Lee's last movie before he died, although finding an actor who could do the role justice would be hard! Jason Scott Lee (no relation) was good as Bruce himself in Dragon the Bruce Lee Story back in 1993, maybe they could get him back? Other problem with remaking the classic that was ETD is that the majority of the original cast are either dead, or too old to reprise their roles now.

Another one I'd like to see remade is the Dark Crystal, using Puppets still though, none of this newfangled CGI nonsense.

I don't want to see remakes. Or rather, I don't want to see remakes as Hollywood currently does them. Oh, is it time to reboot Spider-Man again?

I want to see remakes of failures, because there's a chance of improving on the original. Maybe someone can make Heaven's Gate have a story this time. Ishtar might actually be funny. Jimmy Hollywood might have the action it deserves. Santa Claus might do a better job of taking care of the Martians.

I don't want to see remakes. Or rather, I don't want to see remakes as Hollywood currently does them. Oh, is it time to reboot Spider-Man again?

I want to see remakes of failures, because there's a chance of improving on the original. Maybe someone can make Heaven's Gate have a story this time. Ishtar might actually be funny. Jimmy Hollywood might have the action it deserves. Santa Claus might do a better job of taking care of the Martians.
That’s what I also think that they should redo,movies that were complete flops when they were released but has potential to be made into a great movie,some flop movies had good ideas but sadly It didn’t translate well once it was made into a movie but in the right hands a redo could improve it,I like to see a remake of the rocketeer since that didn’t do well but flops are the only type of films that I consider Hollywood redoing because they are going way overboard with rebooting successful films.

It's very rare to see a remake / reboot that is even as good as the original, let alone better, but more often they're an insult that should never have been made, here's a few examples, but there's many more:

The Wicker Man was a stunning classic starring the late Edward Woodward in 1973 and certainly deserves a good mention, in fact in my opinion it's one of the best British horror movies ever made and it also had a stunning soundtrack, but the remake starring Nicholas Cage in 2006 was a complete insult and total disaster in every respect. In fact British Filmmaker Robin Hardy who directed the original Wicker Man was so taken aback by how bad the remake was that he decided to attempt to correct the problem by writing and directing a follow up movie called The Wicker Tree in 2011, it was neither a reboot or a remake and was instead classed as a companion movie with similar themes that included references to the original movie. Unfortunately even The Wicker Tree was in my opinion only an average movie that failed to capture the original atmosphere of the The Wicker Man in 1973 as intended, but it was still MUCH better than the dire remake of The Wicker Man in 2006.

Assault on Precinct 13 was directed by John Carpenter in 1976 and was an absolute classic atmospheric action thriller with a stunning theme tune, but the "loose" remake in 2005 was comparatively awful and wasn't worthy of the same name.

Dad's Army is an all time classic British TV comedy series that was originally broadcast from 1968-1977, but why did they make a modern 2016 movie reboot? It was nothing but a total insult to the original series which probably had the original actors turning in their grave.

Ghostbusters - most people loved the original 1984 classic starring Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramis and Rick Moranis, and many even enjoyed the less popular sequel. The recent Ghostbusters 2016 reboot however was utterly atrocious and just didn't work, they honestly shouldn't have bothered.

Okay there is one reboot I can think of that has worked reasonably well and that's the modern Star Trek movies which started in 2009. Arguably I still wouldn't say they're better than the classic 1960's original series and follow up movies even though the effects are obviously much better, but they're in many ways different and entertaining in their own way. At least they haven't insulted the original creator Gene Roddenberry in my opinion.

So back to the question, "What Reboot/Remake Would You Like To See?", well since we barely ever see a remake worthy of the original my answer is "I don't want to see any" since I don't want any more classic movies or TV series destroyed by substandard remakes. I would much rather see brand new ideas and material, they won't listen, but please leave what classics we still have left alone as they can't be trusted not the ruin them.

Here's a reboot / remake I never want to see:

Only Fools and Horses starring David Jason, Nicholas Lyndhurst, Lennard Pearce (1981–1983) and Buster Merryfield (1985–1996) was one of the very best classic British comedy sitcoms of all time. A reboot / remake with different actors would never ever work and would be an insult to the original series. For people that know the series, imagine someone else playing Del Boy, Rodney Trotter and Grandad / Uncle Albert. Sadly it will probably still happen one day.

Last edited:
I personally wish Hollywood would stop remaking/rebooting GOOD films from 20, 30 years ago. Why not bad films? Here are some suggestions:

1) The DC Cinematic Universe
This cinematic universe is definitely the most disappointing one to date and have made some movies that should’ve been good and made them completely god awful. The one that really gets me is Suicide Squad. I hate this movie for a number of reasons but I think the biggest con is they have these cool DC villains and do NOTHING with them. This is the worst portrayal of The Joker and Harley Quinn I’ve ever seen. Will Smith as Deadshot looks bored out of his mind and the Enchantress is one of the blandest villains in history. Batman v Superman is a complete, nonsensical mess from beginning to end. I have not seen Justice League because I knew it was going to be terrible from the trailers. Audiences and critics agree as they panned this movie. Wonder Woman was mediocre at best, not the worst and Man of Steel I actually enjoyed. However, this universe is no Marvel.

2) Super Mario Bros
This film is actually getting rebooted soon and I say thank god because this was my introduction to what a bad film is like. This film has nothing to do with Super Mario Bros and is unfaithful to the games. I saw this as a kid and the pain from watching this movie has not left me. This is a horrendous experience.

3) Pixels
This movie could’ve been fun if you removed Adam Sandler and his company from it entirely. The cast should’ve been teens, have it be set in the 80s entirely, have Chris Columbus write the script and have the film be removed from under the crapfest of Sony Pictures.

4) Stargate
Hooked for the first 30 minutes and soon after was bored out of my skull. Interesting premise goes absolutely nowhere and not really all that memorable of a film either.

5) Mars Attacks
I love Tim Burton but Mars Attacks was definitely a BAD film. I unfortunately brought this on DVD and I’m going to sell it off. Lame characters, Martians that get annoying after a while, great actors with nothing to do and surprisingly not that imaginative.

Lastly

6) Miss Peregrine’s Home For the Peculiar Children
It seems like Fox totally ruined Tim Burton’s vision and tried to make it into an X-Men/Harry Potter mashup but with every single tired modern day, YA cliche ever made. Unimaginative, soulless and unforgivable. Tim could’ve done great with this film but when you have studio interference and the writer of X-Men:First Class and Kingsman, what can you do?

I know I can think of more but these ones come to mind when I think of bad movies that NEED to be rebooted/remade.

I personally wish Hollywood would stop remaking/rebooting GOOD films from 20, 30 years ago. Why not bad films? Here are some suggestions:

1) The DC Cinematic Universe
This cinematic universe is definitely the most disappointing one to date and have made some movies that should’ve been good and made them completely god awful. The one that really gets me is Suicide Squad. I hate this movie for a number of reasons but I think the biggest con is they have these cool DC villains and do NOTHING with them. This is the worst portrayal of The Joker and Harley Quinn I’ve ever seen. Will Smith as Deadshot looks bored out of his mind and the Enchantress is one of the blandest villains in history. Batman v Superman is a complete, nonsensical mess from beginning to end. I have not seen Justice League because I knew it was going to be terrible from the trailers. Audiences and critics agree as they panned this movie. Wonder Woman was mediocre at best, not the worst and Man of Steel I actually enjoyed. However, this universe is no Marvel.

2) Super Mario Bros
This film is actually getting rebooted soon and I say thank god because this was my introduction to what a bad film is like. This film has nothing to do with Super Mario Bros and is unfaithful to the games. I saw this as a kid and the pain from watching this movie has not left me. This is a horrendous experience.

3) Pixels
This movie could’ve been fun if you removed Adam Sandler and his company from it entirely. The cast should’ve been teens, have it be set in the 80s entirely, have Chris Columbus write the script and have the film be removed from under the crapfest of Sony Pictures.

4) Stargate
Hooked for the first 30 minutes and soon after was bored out of my skull. Interesting premise goes absolutely nowhere and not really all that memorable of a film either.

5) Mars Attacks
I love Tim Burton but Mars Attacks was definitely a BAD film. I unfortunately brought this on DVD and I’m going to sell it off. Lame characters, Martians that get annoying after a while, great actors with nothing to do and surprisingly not that imaginative.

Lastly

6) Miss Peregrine’s Home For the Peculiar Children
It seems like Fox totally ruined Tim Burton’s vision and tried to make it into an X-Men/Harry Potter mashup but with every single tired modern day, YA cliche ever made. Unimaginative, soulless and unforgivable. Tim could’ve done great with this film but when you have studio interference and the writer of X-Men:First Class and Kingsman, what can you do?

I know I can think of more but these ones come to mind when I think of bad movies that NEED to be rebooted/remade.
That's not a bad idea.

Super Mario Bros does have some potential, but mainly for children, if I remember rightly the movie was the first ever movie based on computer game characters, before that it was always the other way around.

Pixels wasn't a bad movie for children, but it was too silly for my liking as an adult, it's probably too soon for a reboot however.

I actually quite liked the original Stargate movie, but was soon bored by the series which went on and on and on with various different versions set in the Stargate universe, there was in fact Stargate SG-1 (1997–2007), Stargate Atlantis (2004–2009), Stargate Universe (2009–2011), Stargate Origins (2018, yes it's still going) and even the animated series Stargate Infinity (2002-2003). I even gave each new series (except for the animation) a chance, but was equally bored after the first episode, I just couldn't get into them and I love Star Trek and other science fiction. I've seen enough Stargate for one lifetime and I doubt I'd even be interested by a total reboot, however Stargate was obviously very popular for it to last so long and a reboot probably would work if it was done well enough, although there's already been 2 additional movies made in 2008.

Mars Attacks was truly an awful movie that I was once forced to watch and I don't understand why it was quite popular, it was pathetic and not even in the slightest bit funny in my opinion, it would be difficult to make a good reboot out of something so dire, but I suppose it's not impossible as obviously some people enjoyed the original.

I thought about suggesting another Masters of the Universe movie based on your idea of rebooting bad films after the 1987s flop starring Dolph Lundgren as a possible reboot mainly for children, but on looking it up I was surprised to already see a reboot planned for release in December 2019. Even though the all action movie was a flop however the franchise and cartoons were very popular in the 1980s.

Last edited:
That's not a bad idea.

Super Mario Bros does have some potential, but mainly for children, if I remember rightly the movie was the first ever movie based on computer game characters, before that it was always the other way around.

Pixels wasn't a bad movie for children, but it was too silly for my liking as an adult, it's probably too soon for a reboot however.

I actually quite liked the original Stargate movie, but was soon bored by the series which went on and on and on with various different versions set in the Stargate universe, there was in fact Stargate SG-1 (1997–2007), Stargate Atlantis (2004–2009), Stargate Universe (2009–2011), Stargate Origins (2018, yes it's still going) and even the animated series Stargate Infinity (2002-2003). I even gave each new series (except for the animation) a chance, but was equally bored after the first episode, I just couldn't get into them and I love Star Trek and other science fiction. I've seen enough Stargate for one lifetime and I doubt I'd even be interested by a total reboot, however Stargate was obviously very popular for it to last so long and a reboot probably would work if it was done well enough, although there's already been 2 additional movies made in 2008.

Mars Attacks was truly an awful movie that I was once forced to watch and I don't understand why it was quite popular, it was pathetic and not even in the slightest bit funny in my opinion, it would be difficult to make a good reboot out of something so dire, but I suppose it's not impossible as obviously some people enjoyed the original.

I thought about suggesting another Masters of the Universe movie based on your idea of rebooting bad films after the 1987s flop starring Dolph Lundgren as a possible reboot mainly for children, but on looking it up I was surprised to already see a reboot planned for release in December 2019. Even though the all action movie was a flop however the franchise and cartoons were very popular in the 1980s.

Masters of the Universe I heard was really bad. However, at least a majority of filmmakers in Hollywood were still making excellent high quality work during the 80s. The new reboot today would be even worse. Hollywood is destroyed now. The system is 100% dead. This is why new filmmakers are going independent and indie films are becoming the source for great entertainment now. Hollywood has become too money hungry and desperate for new franchises. CGI has turned from a good thing to a bad thing during the course of three decades. It’s so overused now. Screenplays are being rushed and studio executives are too controlling now. It’s sad really. Masters of the Universe can succeed as a reboot only if it’s independent. Sony Pictures has become one of the worst studios of modern day filmmaking. Even people who work there are tired of the stuff going on. Same with Warner Bros. Justice League is there latest flop. They had two totally different directors working on this film: Zack Snyder and Joss Whedon. They are stylistically and tonally not the same. Not even close.

Its sad but indie films will take over the whole movie industry soon enough. They pretty much have already.

They rebooted He Man in 2002, and yes it did suck.

And they're making a new live action movie that's supposed to be closer to the source material than the 1987 one.

What reboot would I like to see? A good remake of Karate Kid would be nice, Ralph Macchio isn't too old or anything, just a shame the original Mr Miyagi died about 12 years ago.

They rebooted He Man in 2002, and yes it did suck.

And they're making a new live action movie that's supposed to be closer to the source material than the 1987 one.

What reboot would I like to see? A good remake of Karate Kid would be nice, Ralph Macchio isn't too old or anything, just a shame the original Mr Miyagi died about 12 years ago.

The Karate Kid was remade 7, 8 years ago with Jaden Smith. It just felt completely unnecessary. The original Karate Kid may not be a masterpiece but it was a good film. Mr. Miyagi was awesome. May he RIP.

The Karate Kid was remade 7, 8 years ago with Jaden Smith. It just felt completely unnecessary. The original Karate Kid may not be a masterpiece but it was a good film. Mr. Miyagi was awesome. May he RIP.

Ugh, I wish you people would read my posts before commenting, I said a "good" remake, I know about the Jaden Smith/Jackie Chan movie, I have it on DVD.

Super Mario Bros

Funnily enough, Japan actually made an anime version of Super Mario Bros. in 1986; a good 7 years before the god-awful live version
The anime's title was Super Mario Bros.: The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach! and was actually a heck of a lot closer to the source material.

Doug Walker (Nostalgia Critic) did a review of it here:

The full movie is on YouTube somewhere if you guys are interested.

That's not a bad idea.

The problem with rebooting 80's franchises for a modern audience is that the majority of the kids who would see it weren't even gleams in their Parents' eyes when the originals were out, so they don't know the source material, other than kids who are aged 15 or older knowing that pants reboot of He Man from 2002.

The problem with rebooting 80's franchises for a modern audience is that the majority of the kids who would see it weren't even gleams in their Parents' eyes when the originals were out, so they don't know the source material, other than kids who are aged 15 or older knowing that pants reboot of He Man from 2002.

True, and when kids are shown the source material they don't always have the best opinions of it. Prepare for insults to our childhoods:

Wow it makes me feel so old when I see children as old as 13 looking back at Pokemon calling it retro TV that was years before they were born, to me it seems like only yesterday when there was the major Pokemon craze in the UK, I remember when my car was off the road for over a week and I was forced to use the bus to work, it was always full of school kids talking about nothing except Pokemon card swapping, but now these kids are amazingly well in their 30s, it was a complete an utter obsession to them every day and they say we get easily obsessed lol!

Retro children's TV to me is programmes like Tiswas which started in 1974 and ran until 1982 in the UK on Saturday mornings, as good as it was for children back then, I don't think a reboot of Tiswas would work these days however as styles and humour has changed so much since then. The Pokemon franchise hasn't completely gone out of fashion however as we only had a very popular mobile game app Pokemon Go released in July 2016 and a reboot or even more of the same could work.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Captain Planet come back. You know why? Because Captain Planet was actually reasonable. Don't pollute. Recycle. Don't dump toxic waste into rivers, that's bad. Basic stuff that I don't think is quite enough for today's enviro-nazis, so that's probably why Captain Planet has been left alone.

I mean, I can't imagine Captain Planet kicking someone's ass for driving an SUV or for throwing away a banana peel instead of composting it. Just wouldn't fit the character. But what I'm saying is that it would be nice if he came back with his reasonable messages about protecting the environment.

It is still weird to experience new episodes of "The X-Files" again. With Fox presenting them as if the show had not gone off the air years ago. Wild. :cool:

Of course like myself, all the characters are much older. So much older that in reality Mulder is beyond the age of mandatory retirement for the FBI. LOL...oh well. :eek:

New Threads

Top Bottom