• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Linux Distro is Best For Gaming

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
Hello, I would like to know which Linux distribution is best for gaming? I have a Dell G15 laptop with a Ryzen 5, 8gb of ram, and an RTX3050.

I don’t do much gaming but I would think it is not going to make much difference what Linux flavor you choose. Just as long as it has the drivers for your peripherals you should be good to go. If there is specific software you are looking to run, you should be able to find any OS requirements on their website.

Honestly the main thing that is going to matter is whether or not the game in question actually has Linux compatibility, as a great many do not.

Pretty much the only reason as to why I've not switched.

You might consider starting such a search with Ubuntu distributions first. I'm not particularly interested in gaming in Linux, but am eventually contemplating migrating to Linux from Windows.

(Abandoning a perfectly running pc with Windows 10 is an absurd notion just to run Windows 11.) :mad::mad::mad: And investing $60 in a new SSD to host Linux is cheaper than spending $1500 to build a new computer that I didn't really need to begin with. :cool::cool::cool:

And there's "Wine", an application that creates a "compatibility layer" between Linux and Windows. Effectively allowing one to use Linux as a platform to run individual Windows applications- and games. Though from what I've seen so far, the number of Windows apps and games it can run is limited to a number of specific titles.

I'm looking mainly at Zorin OS16, Linux Mint and Pop! within Ubuntu. Recommended for beginners choosing to migrate from Windows to Linux.

You might also look for distros that specifically come with Ubuntu GamePack. Not sure what that includes. I do know there are many videos on YouTube discussing the increase of the gaming community on Linux- something to check out. Right now it's been my main source of information in learning about a completely different OS from Windows.

Best Linux Distros with WINE preinstalled: A Comparison!!

Top 31 Free Linux Games Everyone Should Be Playing in 2020

Last edited:
The first thing to check is to make sure your PC can even install Linux. It's not like the old days where you could put it on anything, unfortunately. It's even worse if it's a laptop, as only certain laptops can install Linux and they all are pretty expensive.

My main distro is opensuse, it has a great installer and is highly configurable through gui (yast) unlike other distros, it also has butterfs as a default filesystem so you can create instant snapshot backups. If you go with ubuntu i recommend xubuntu or kubuntu since those don't come with the awful gnome 3 desktop.

To launch games with your secondary nvidia gpu you want to use prime render offload Chapter 35. PRIME Render Offload
The configure x screen and configure gpu screen isn't neccesary on every distro, on some (like opensuse) you can just install the NVIDIA driver and launch games with the shell script in the guide.

I don't recommend you install mint, pop or manjaro (most unstable rolling release there is). They are just reskins of existing distro's that offer very little besides their own theme, custom installer and somes buggy guis that are supposed make linux easier but cause more problems than they solve. They are considered newbie distros because newbies don't know how useless and flawed they are.

Also don't try make windows solutions fit on a linux distro.

You might consider starting such a search with Ubuntu distributions first. I'm not particularly interested in gaming in Linux, but am eventually contemplating migrating to Linux from Windows.

(Abandoning a perfectly running pc with Windows 10 is an absurd notion just to run Windows 11.) :mad::mad::mad: And investing $60 in a new SSD to host Linux is cheaper than spending $1500 to build a new computer that I didn't really need to begin with. :cool::cool::cool:

And there's "Wine", an application that creates a "compatibility layer" between Linux and Windows. Effectively allowing one to use Linux as a platform to run individual Windows applications- and games. Though from what I've seen so far, the number of Windows apps and games it can run is limited to a number of specific titles.

I'm looking mainly at Zorin OS16, Linux Mint and Pop! within Ubuntu. Recommended for beginners choosing to migrate from Windows to Linux.

You might also look for distros that specifically come with Ubuntu GamePack. Not sure what that includes. I do know there are many videos on YouTube discussing the increase of the gaming community on Linux- something to check out. Right now it's been my main source of information in learning about a completely different OS from Windows.

Best Linux Distros with WINE preinstalled: A Comparison!!

Top 31 Free Linux Games Everyone Should Be Playing in 2020

The only things I'd end up having issues with is Ubisoft games because battleye is not yet compatible with windows.

Honestly Linux is becoming so much more accessible and supported that it's pretty strange that more game devs havent started to make their games compatible with Linux, especially since more and more people are being turned away from Windows and Mac.

Depending on how much hard drive space you have, you can try dual-booting to see what distros you like and will work. I don't game on Linux so can't offer anything specific to try out, but installing a Linux distro on a portion of your hard drive or a separate hard drive altogether (a better idea in my opinion, if you can do it) gives you the option to use both so that you're not tied to one OS or the other.

Just a suggestion I'm putting out there as the majority of games are still developed for Windows and I don't see that changing very soon. There are very few games on Steam for example that are compatible with Linux out the box (I'm not talking about using WINE either), so I'd say don't get your hopes up right now for getting anything to work smoothly if you try it.

What seems to be a more balanced approach to such questions, pointing out that it's worth considering "the big picture" when it comes to gaming and whether or not it's a priority in how one uses their computer. Whatever OS or computer platform they chose to run. That it's unlikely to find any real "all-in-one" solution.

Before working for a corporate computer game publisher/developer around the turn of the century, I loved gaming. When games were still relatively simple running on most computers with decent frame rates. But after a few years of being on the inside of such operations, I came to resent it altogether. Loved being a web designer and managing all the game product websites, but the industry itself sickened me.

A business obsessed with getting incomplete and buggy products to the market within the prescribed quarter just to appease existing and future shareholders. Where consumers were at the bottom of the list, getting their sorely needed patch files when the corporation felt like it and not before. Buy first- play later.

Making PC gaming often "a wild goose chase", where either you are constantly having to upgrade hardware and software just to play an often buggy game. Not worth it, especially given most of my computer use involves graphics application and Internet access for media and information on a broad spectrum.

Fast-forward to twenty years later and I see consumers still being lemmings herded over a cliff by game publishers and developers. Married to the technological whims of Microsoft and Nvidia. Pushers catering to the needs of those jonesing for their next game fix.

IMO, if you use a computer for a variety of practical reasons, Linux may be the way to go. OTOH if you are totally immersed in computer gaming, get yourself a dedicated console format and stick with it. Insuring an optimal degree of compatibility concerns rather than having to continually upgrade or replace your PC.

Last edited:
Fast-forward to twenty years later and I see consumers still being lemmings herded over a cliff by game publishers and developers. Married to the technological whims of Microsoft and Nvidia. Pushers catering to the needs of those jonesing for their next game fix.

This bit has been consistently frustrating to watch. In the sense of general exploitation by the industry.

Last AAA game I bought was... Diablo 3 for PC, the day that came out. Know about the auction house incident in that? If so... I need not even say anything else. Gotta say, it was the last straw. Never bought another AAA game since (with occasional rare exceptions from Nintendo), switched purely to indies... and holy heck am I glad I did.

The stuff being pushed now is downright embarrassing, and even more embarrassing is how people keep falling for it. "Pushers" really is the right word for the companies that make the bloody things now... it's all about getting you addicted to those stupid loot boxes or whatever, and then keeping you paying, and paying, and paying... and then OOPS, the next slot machine... er, I mean, the next game in the series now wants a better video card, and we just happen to have a nice suggestion for you, for a new video card, what a convenient deal... What's that? It's too expensive still? Well too bad, the addiction has you... go buy the thing, upgrade, and get back to buying loot boxes.

And that's just how it all seems to be on that side of the industry. Buy the games, buy the stupid broken DLC, buy the lootboxes, buy the upgrades, buy whatever.... but you RECEIVE next to nothing. Except sadness and tragedy.

Just... ugh. Yeah I know I'm rambling here a bit but the whole situation irks me to no end, and I genuinely cant understand why people fall for this nonsense so easily. Particularly when it's SO FREAKING OBVIOUS.

In installing Linux Mint 20.2 on a spare SSD, I've come to read a great deal about differences and arguments over Windows and Linux. And in the process I've found myself gravitating to several YouTube presentations by "Chris Titus Tech". A guy offering what appears to be a more balanced assessment of the nuances and problems of these operating systems. I especially like his uptake as a longtime Windows developer who moved to Linux only a few years ago.

He particularly has a lot to say about gaming relative to Linux, with a focus on what seems to be the most problematic issue when it comes to hardcore gaming. A sentiment also expressed by Linus Torvalds, the main developer of the Linux Kernel.
Simply put, one of the greatest stumbling blocks to Linux remains the decision by Nvidia to keep their drivers on a more proprietary basis, which can potentially limit or even hamstring gamers with the most powerful and sophisticated Nvidia video cards.

In the case of Chris Titus, he has determined that if you're a hardcore gamer thinking about gravitating to Linux, then you have two primary options in his opinion when it comes to Linux Distros: 1) Manjaro 2) Pop!

(In the case of Linus Torvalds, he simply addresses Nvidia with his middle finger when it comes to Linux. Literally.)

Both seem to be the best oriented towards handling Nvidia cards in particular. While I'm running an old GeForce Ti650 card, this computer isn't for gaming and so far running Linux Mint 20.2 hasn't been an issue for me- yet. So far, so good in running Linux. It's different to say the least, but it's alternative that has cost me only a little more time, and no money. Reflecting a definite possibility in migrating away from Microsoft. For me it wasn't quite as difficult as I thought it might be.

I haven't gamed on PC for several years now. But when I did play video games on my PC, the stuff I tried on a Linux system never worked that well. It was laggy, had compatibility issues, artifacts appearing on the screen. Some games had to be adjusted in a certain way to work at all, and nothing improved from its Windows installation counterpart. I remember rumors going around that these Windows games ran even better on Linux. What a joke. And I learned it the hard way. These applications were designed to run on a specific system. Like some Sony games only made for Playstation, you will have a hard time setting them up on Xbox. The newer games made only for Windows will not run that well on an wine emulator on Linux. It just wont. Believe me, I have a degree in computer programming. You need an extremely powerful computer/graphics card(s) to run the latest PC games on Linux at 60fps highest settings. That's the only way. It's just not worth the money. Stick with Windows when it comes to PC video games. Windows is bad when it comes to other aspects. But I'll leave it at that.

Windows is bad when it comes to other aspects. But I'll leave it at that.

And getting worse. Which may be the prime reason the OP created this thread.

Can't blame him, though I would have to agree that at this point in time a serious gamer would probably be seriously disappointed with how a Windows game may perform on Linux. Particularly if they have an Nvidia video card and drivers. Which seems to be at the heart of many issues gamers have with Linux.

Seems to me for anyone to seriously want to game on Linux means choosing the right distro and sticking to Radeon- not Nvidia for video hardware and drivers. And sticking to Linux gaming software rather than rely on Windows apps using programs like "Wine" to run them. It works, but it seems damn picky about what it runs. I can only surmise that games would be even more unpredictable compared with productivity apps.

Though at the moment, this is a terrible time for much of anyone to be buying a new video card no matter what platform you want to run it on. Absurd prices brought on by a shortage in computer chips. Time will tell if or when prices drop.

Last edited:
And getting worse. Which may be the prime reason the OP created this thread.

Can't blame him, though I would have to agree that at this point in time a serious gamer would probably be seriously disappointed with how a Windows game may perform on Linux. Particularly if they have an Nvidia video card and drivers. Which seems to be at the heart of many issues gamers have with Linux.

Seems to me for anyone to seriously want to game on Linux means choosing the right distro and sticking to Radeon- not Nvidia for video hardware and drivers. And sticking to Linux gaming software rather than rely on Windows apps using programs like "Wine" to run them. It works, but it seems damn picky about what it runs. I can only surmise that games would be even more unpredictable compared with productivity apps.

Though at the moment, this is a terrible time for much of anyone to be buying a new video card no matter what platform you want to run it on. Absurd prices brought on by a shortage in computer chips. Time will tell if or when prices drop.
Its the amd drivers that deliver worse performance in opengl, but they do good in vulkan, they are opensource and come with the kernel so it's easier to get running. Only issue with nvidia on linux is that they lack some features. but if you look at a game like rise of the tombraider there is not much performance loss on linux

You can game on linux just fine but its not gaming operating system, in general if you want linux to be a drop in replacement for windows expect to be dissapointed.

Last edited:
Its the amd drivers that deliver worse performance in opengl, but they do good in vulkan, they are opensource and come with the kernel so it's easier to get running. Only issue with nvidia on linux is that they lack some features. but if you look at a game like rise of the tombraider there is not much performance loss on linux

I'm inclined to think that it ultimately depends on the games in question. Seems a mixed bag for most everyone operating Linux outside of its most basic parameters. That some have real problems especially with Nvidia, while others don't. Go figure.

I've got acpi bios bug/errors just running any of the official Nivida drivers for Linux. But once the OS is booted and running it seems to run ok. Though I can circumvent this using the one open-source driver, but I do see a minor performance drop. But I'm not running games and don't intend to. Just certain productivity and graphics apps which even under Wine seem to run quite well.

Rumor has it that Pop! and Manjaro offer the best experience with Nivida drivers. Though it's not something I've put to the test yet. Still I may install another distro though just to compare to Mint and Zorin OS16.

Easier to just occasionally play circa 2002 games on my offline legacy computer running Windows XP. Truth is, having worked inside the software gaming industry for a couple of years, it soured me on gaming altogether. In any event, it will be interesting to see if the Windows 11 mess results in more people migrating to Linux. But I suppose another percent or two loss of the market won't mean a thing to Microsoft anyways. They'll likely continue to function as a monopoly long after I'm gone.

Last edited:
Rumor has it that Pop! and Manjaro offer the best experience with Nivida drivers. Though it's not something I've put to the test yet. Still I may install another distro though just to compare to Mint and Zorin OS16.

Im not sure about the validity of that one, i have a laptop with an nvidia dgpu and it has run well on every distro i tried. I think it's one of those rumors people keep parroting until everyone believes its true. I played some games on void linux which is a bit of a niche distro and they run just fine. If you are running steam games it barely matters what distro you are using, steam ships with it's own linux runtime making games run the same on every distro, the only other factors are driver/kernel versions and your xorg setup.

Manjaro comes with its only little driver install gui, that might be why they claim it gives them the best experience. But i really i wouldn't use manjaro as its very unstable, and the xfce version i tried was noticeable less responsive as xfce on opensuse.

I play mostly little 2d indie games linux, most of these have native linux port or will run flawlessly under wine. I don't play triple a on linux because i don't appreciate the performance drop most of them have when running with wine, and they don't interest me that much.

If someone wants to use linux i recommend debian testing, xfce/kde ubuntu and opensuse, don't expect it to be a drop in replacement for windows, and never try to solve problems the windows way on linux, it will give you a bad time.

Linux mint, steam and gpu passthrough with looking glass as required. With proper configuration this also open's the door to things like windows xp, VM's are extremely powerful where proton or wine fails.

New Threads

Top Bottom